Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Posted August 04, 2015
Our Daughter, who is 4yrs old and will be 5 in October, has been attending school at Alvin Dunn Elementary in their PreK program, since October 2013, when she turned 3 yrs. We have been so very pleased with the School and especially with her Teacher, Mrs. Perkins and all of her assistant through out the whole time she attended the school. Our daughter also enjoyed their summer school program, with Mrs Perkins. We are very proud to have had our daughter to have graduated PreK and now ready for Transitional Kindergarten starting this year. Our daughter who had a few issues, like socializing and transition from one activitie to the next..now loves talking to everyone and has learn how to transition to another activities. She has learned so much and has come along way. I would highly recommend Alvin Dunn Elementary!!! Thank you AD!! The Smith's XOXO

Alvin M. Dunn Elementary School
Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted August 03, 2015
Our daughter loves her Teacher like family and has loved all of her assistants she had.

Alvin M. Dunn Elementary School 1

Posted April 20, 2015
My son lasted only seven months as he was repeatedly bullied at the school. I also volunteered in his second grade class and was a witness to the undisciplined behavior of many of the students at recess.School say they have a zero tolerance with bully students but that's such a lie at San Marcos unified school District. He now goes to charter school.

Posted June 22, 2014
I have 3 children that have attended Alvin Dunn. One of the three is still at Alvin Dunn as a 4th grader. My eldest did all his elementary at Alvin Dunn and the San Marcos district. He graduation with honors and this fall will be entering his 4th year at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo majoring in Bio Scienve engineer. My middle child is currently a sophomore at SMHS and doing exceptionally well. I thank Alvin Dunn for their love and passion of providing such a good learning experiene for the students. A special thanks to Alvin Dunn teachers and their genuine interest for the students having a successful future.

Alvin M. Dunn Elementary School 1

Posted August 29, 2013
I am really disappointed in the 3 out of 10 rating for the API for Alvin Dunn school. Why is it that this is not a 10 or an 8? This is just not acceptable. For yrs it has been at a 4, and I was really disturbed by it. Now it is a 3? Is this all we can offer our children? Feeling the need to get my grandson out of this school,fast. When is this going to be a school of high ranking? and why isn't it!!!???

Posted February 13, 2013
Since my son began kindergarten at Alvin Dunn, my husband and I have been astounded at the impact the program has had upon our son. Although our five-year old spent three years at a private Montessori school prior to entering Kindergarten, his love of learning took off exponentially when he began kindergarten at this soon-to-be IB world school. A former AP teacher myself at two of San Diego s highest performing high schools, I was and continue to be astounded at the impact this inquiry-based learning model is having upon our son. I currently work as an Assistant Principal at an IB world school in Vista, and I can say that Alvin Dunn is cultivating in its students what International Baccalaureate students worldwide strive to be: inquirers, knowledgeable, thinkers, communicators, principled, open-minded, caring, risk-takers, balanced, and reflective. The program has turned my reluctant reader, writer, and Spanish-speaker into a boy who is hungry for learning & innovation; every lesson crafted has purpose and meaning. Our family is proud to be members of the inspirational Alvin Dunn learning community. -Shannon Hampton Garcia, Assistant Principal, Rancho Buena Vista High School

Alvin M. Dunn Elementary School 4

Posted August 31, 2010
Although I live in NY, my grandson attends this school and I was really impressed with the way he read after completing the first grade. While visiting over the summer he loved reading to me and I believe he reads better than my other grandchildren who attend school in NY.

Posted April 22, 2009
this school is great good enviroment for the kids they do recognize the child effort.

Alvin M. Dunn Elementary School 3

Posted July 01, 2007
Up until recently, this school was really polarized with teachers who were excellent and others who were extremely poor. If you know who the good teachers are (and they're not always the most popular because they are the most strict), you can 'navigate' your child through the school. However, the school has a large Spanish speaking population (which isn't really the proplem). The problems I saw were with teachers who didn't encourage english and enabled students to speak spanish for the most mundance things that non-english speakers could pick up on quickly - things like, 'time to line up for lunch', 'take your seats' etc. I do credit the district with tryting to help the school. There were some teachers (not all!) who were in the system too long. Most have been relegated to the middle school

Posted May 27, 2005
Alvin Dunn Elementary is the rising star of the San Marcos School District. The instruction is rigorous and the teachers are fantastic! The principal and the assistant principal are helpful and know all of the kids. What a great school!

Alvin M. Dunn Elementary School
3697 La Mirada Drive, San Marcos, CA  92078-2312
Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. (760) 290-2000
Last modified Alvin M. Dunn Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.