San Marcos, CA
Students enrolled: 2,242

Posted June 14, 2014
top notch sports teams, zero tolerance bullying, lots of clubs, strong sense of pride and beautiful brand new campus with top notch technology

San Marcos High School 1

Posted December 17, 2013
I can go on about this school, but i won't! Let just say you are better of sending your kids to a charter school! Specially if your kids are mexican! I'm not going to get into details about this, lets just say some teachers are perverts! The assistant pricipal MR. Zeith thinks his the owner if your child! He will BELITTLE YOUR KIDS AND HUMILIATE THEM IN FRONT OF THEIR PEERS! His so out of control with his attitude that the staff will ask him if everything is ok? He needs to learn his place! Don't raise your voice at my child!!

Posted November 15, 2013
So basically the class of 2012 carried this entire school on its back. The API under this amazing class went from 774 to an all time high of 859 and the school went from unranked to ranked 11 nationally according to US News and World Report. This class fundamentally changed the attitudes of all the staff at the school, who were now uplifted and inspired by how awesome the class of 2012 was. Now that the class of 2012 is gone, the API has slowly dripped from the all time high of 859 to 858 the next year and 857 this year. Also, the school ranking has plummeted off a cliff. As you can see, although no other class can hope to come close to the class of 2012, the positive influence left in 2012's wake has caused all the teachers to be about 329% more effective. If you are to enroll your kid in this school, do so immediately before all of the magic voodoo placed on the staff by the class of 2012 wears off for good and the school reverts back to its middling baseline level. God bless the United States of America.

Posted September 09, 2013
Currently I wrote a review about my school that wasn't that great. I was very angry with the school at that time. I wish I could take it back. I got the chance to talk with the assistant principle, Mr. Zeait, we discussed what happened. It was just a misunderstanding. He was very cool about it.

San Marcos High School 3

Posted September 06, 2013
This school is probably the worst school I have ever gone to. I am currently a in my second year of high school and the year just stated a few weeks ago. So far I have had three different things stolen from me and today was one of those times. Also today, the assistant principle Mr. Zeait pointed directly at me and said something about how "All you little freshman" should come to the football game. Now, I am a good student so he wasn't mad at me or anything. I guess that he thought that it would be a good I idea to point me out and not only say what he did, but honestly it hurt my feelings. Obviously, I'm writing this because I'm very frustrated with the San Marcos High school as a whole. I know parents may write awesome things about how great their kids high school is but honestly you should probably take some advice from someone who has to go there almost every single day. Thank you for reading, I hope this helped.

Posted April 29, 2013
SMHS is a school that keeps improving. The AAPLE academy is awesome and allows kids to challenge themselves at the top level. The creation of the Entrepreneurship Academy is such a brilliant idea! Teachers there are wonderful and care for their students. World History teacher Mr Burrows is incredible but so are Ms Mandarino, Mr Bausbach, Mr Roth and Mr Holdren! San Marcos deserves to be more recognized. And the students there are much more friendly and humble than in Dos Pueblos or in Santa Barbara High. It is simply a nice community! I am very happy my child is part of the Royals.

Posted March 23, 2013
Overall I am very pleased with this school. It has a very positive vibe and the teachers are very conscientious. I enjoyed the Shadow your Knight day and was impressed with each teacher. I asked my child if the teachers were always that awesome, and he said yes. I love the school spirit of this school. We love going to the basketball games. My ONLY complaint so far is that I was very unimpressed with one teacher (I won't elaborate), and administration absolutely REFUSED to let my child switch teachers. I was told he COULD switch teachers but he'd have to drop honors. I felt this was very unfair. I have never asked to switch teachers with any of my children in ten years. I have always taught my kids that they have to get along with whomever they get as a teacher. I knew this teacher was not a good fit for my child. I am still upset about this. Anyhow, other than that...AWESOME!

Posted May 30, 2012
Unfortunately, the US News ranking is based on inaccurate data from the federal government. Still look forward to my kids attending, and think it's a fine school.

Posted May 24, 2012
Hey people, just look at U.S. News ranking of high school's in CA and you'll see SMHS ranked #3. That is a huge achievement and should be acknowledged. I have 5 kids and none go to SMHS, but I am thinking of relocating and this is one of the areas I am looking at, just because of the school.

Posted November 21, 2011
I struggled initially with letting my kids attend SMHS. My perception was one of a lesser quality of education and on campus concerns. I now have a senior and freshman at SMHS and couldn't be more pleased with what they have and are experiencing at the HS. My senior now has the opportunity to attend a number of top level colleges due to his HS achievements. If you take advantage of what is offered at SMHS and choose to get involved, there is no better HS in the county, but that is a matter of choice. I glad we didn't spend the equivalent of college tuition to send our kids to a private school or get lured in to the need to attend LCC or TP, even despite the inconvenience of the construction.

San Marcos High School
1615 San Marcos Boulevard, San Marcos, CA  92078
Last modified San Marcos High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
San Marcos High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 54 reviews. Top