San Marcos, CA
Students enrolled: 1,327

Woodland Park Middle School 2

Posted June 10, 2015
It's an okay school. Teachers are pretty good. I also heard of Ms. Browning the LA teacher and the way she treats the students that the other reviewer mentioned. I rated it a 2 because we moved to this area because of the schools being rated so highly on greatschool.com but I have been disappointed with WPMS because there are no advocates for the family in the office. If you do have any complaints or issues there is no one to tell about them. The vice principle, Ms petite is completely unhelpful and even secretive, manipulative and protective of the teachers. Even when they are obviously in the wrong. I have never experienced this type of behavior from a vice Principal. Usually they want to help and are willing to sit down with a teacher to help guide some concerns if necessary. The real principle quit unexpectedly, with out even a 2-week notice and the other vice principal is also leaving abruptly this year. That raises some flags to me. I will not allow my other children to attend this school. There are a lot of great charter schools in the area to choose from. When I called the school again there was no one else I could go to. No principal, no second vice principal. No help or voice for my family. I will continue to do what I can to inform other families of this school. Explore your options!

Woodland Park Middle School 1

Posted December 13, 2014
Harsh teachers, some embarrass kids in front of the classroom. Non-personal attention. Too much homework. Way too many kids per classroom.

Posted November 17, 2013
How an 8th grade Language Arts teacher who yells and belittles students and who throws desks at walls keeps her job is beyond me. The girls basketball program is subpar (neither of the coaches have a clue) and no one cares enough to do anything about it. Other than these 2 glaring issues, the school as a whole does a great job and the staff is above average. I believe my child is getting a good education.

Posted November 06, 2013
This is a great school but the math program is awful. My child excelled in math throughout middle school and is now struggling. My child has tried to get additional assistance from the teacher, but the teacher apparently does not have a policy of providing individual assistance (despite effusive and self-congratulatory statements she made during back to school night). This teacher is clearly burned out and the students know it. Attempts to seek assistance from the counseling staff have gone nowhere and a once bright kid that loved math hates it. This is in distinct contrast to other fantastic teachers, including a phenomenal language arts teacher. The administration and counseling staff really need to be more attentive to the merits and lack thereof of its teaching staff. My child and many others are being done a grave disservice by at least one teacher that is not up to par. If your child gets a bad teacher, be the squeaky wheel. It will not get better and you will not get results otherwise. This is a surprise given the high quality of the teaching staff otherwise.

Posted December 18, 2012
The school has great teachers, but if you child struggles in math and want to get a good grade I do not recommend this school. Math tests are worth 80 percent of your grade and for most teachers are not multiple choice. This makes it very difficult to get an A in the class if you usually get B's on your tests.

Posted October 24, 2010
This school never fails in impress me. The unbelievable efforts of this paticular school to improve individual student's grades is inspiring. Though that may sound corny it is completly true. I have spent two and a half years at this incredible school, and unfortunately have to move. However, I do strongly recommend this school to anyone considering attending it.

Posted November 17, 2006
Okay, Woodland Park Middle School is seriously awesome! I'm a sixth-grader there and the teachers are great. My world history teacher, Mr. Prescott, is the best teacher ever. He helps all the kids who are having trouble and always replays the history videos when we take notes during crucial parts. Ms. Taylor, my English teacher, has the highest test scores throughout our school. She makes sure all us Honors kids don't get lazy, and she gives out enough homework to insure that. Mrs. Roberts is my math and science teacher, and she keeps us in line. However, she always presents math and science in a new, creative, and appealing way that aspires all her students, including me, to learn. Mr. Castro, my P.E teacher, is pretty cool. Mr. Efflandt is a stellar teacher who also helps students who are having trouble keeping up with the general class.

Posted November 20, 2004
This is our second year at WPMS and this year is even better than last. My son has excellent teachers in all of his subjects. He is achieving higher grades than ever before! He loves to go to school. We are grateful for WPMS.

Woodland Park Middle School
1270 Rock Springs Road, San Marcos, CA  92069
Last modified Woodland Park Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Woodland Park Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top