Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 04, 2015
I've been thrilled with the teachers, but several amazing ones have left since we've been there. That said, so far all the new hires have gone above and beyond my expectations.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 04, 2015
It depends on the teacher. Some teachers give too little. Others give the right amount.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 04, 2015
One program I really appreciate is the Adapted PE class the "regular ed" and "special ed" students share. A good learning experience for all involved. There is a strong sense of fairness and "anti" bullying, and kindness is rewarded.

Posted June 04, 2015
We are a family in the Laurel community who has attended Kindergarten through 4th and are very happy. I can't imagine better teachers. The kids were able to read before the end of Kindergarten and have tested well among their peers across standardized tests and appear to be on track for middle school. They were really pushed in 4th out of their comfort zone and excelled because of that. The parent involvement must be on par with schools who require volunteer hours. One program I really appreciate is the Adapted PE class the "regular ed" and "special ed" students share. A good learning experience for all involved. Laurel definitely helps build a better community. I just wish the kids zoned for Laurel weren't choosing private schools, as is frequently the case.

Posted September 29, 2014
It's my sons second year at Laurel. What a wonderful experience! We've had great teachers in our two years at the school. There is a lot of opportunities to be involved. The art program is run by the PTA and taught by parent volunteers. I've had a good experience with the principle so far, She seems to get things done and is always present around campus. It really does take a lot of parent involvement to keep this school going and even this has been an amazing experience for us. We have several children in class that have parents who work and are not able to help out as much but they do what they can and those that are able, do alot. I am incredibly happy with our years at Laurel and look forward to many more. I would not switch schools if given the opportunity.

Posted November 14, 2012
I think this school is great. This is my daughters 2nd year at Laurel and I have found that our school is awesome. The PTA is amazing here! And we have a bunch of extras that not many other elementary school have anymore due to budget cuts.

Laurel Elementary School 4

Posted January 11, 2012
I like this school. The teachers are friendly. The school is clean, there is a lot of funding and parent involvement. For example, the dad's club (TFK) is excellent, and the PTM teacher, Liz, really works well with the kids. THe previous principal, Wong, was good. The current principal, Glines, does not communicate well. Teachers that have been there for a while are excellent. Newer teachers aren't as good, and it might be the principal not screening them well enough.

Posted August 20, 2011
I couldnt have picked a better school for my sons. The staff is amazing, the kids are friendly and my son just loves it and enjoys himself! i would like to appericate miss Armstrong and mr Agius for their excellent job .

Laurel Elementary School 4

Posted April 01, 2011
This is the third year that my son has attended Laurel and we are a proud Eagle family. I believe that a family and student can only get out as much as you put into the school. I see an active pta and gladly participate in the art in action program which is terrific. Like most things in live, there is a percentage of people who do the work and I'd estimate it as an active 40% of parent participation. I've made some really good friends. The teachers we have experienced have been very strong and the after school staff at the annex is really on it. My son gets made if I every pick him up early. I think principal Glines does a good job and her responsibilities are many. I think she lacks in really connecting with people in a friendly manner and that can be off putting. I have seen her at every pta meeting and many other after school activities and I appreciate her time and efforts. Again, glad to be an Eagle!

Laurel Elementary School 2

Posted March 31, 2011
I agree about the principal problem in Laurel. A few months ago they have a theme of " No name calling week " ??? There's gotta be a better way to name it or what. From the previous school, my daughter talks about their principal a lot (who is involve with the kids a lot) she was only in Kindergarten then now 1st grader at Laurel, she does not even know who the principal is. Security is way too lax.

316 36th Avenue, San Mateo, CA  94403-4204
Last modified Laurel Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.