Aragon High School 2

Posted October 21, 2014
Not very impressed with the teachers at Aragon. Several teachers don't update school loop in a timely manner (only once a month at that) and misplace assignments all the time. Granted, my child is only a freshman so I can' speak for the upper grade teachers. I expected more from the teachers, especially every grade matters in HS. Speaking to the assistant principal hasn't delivered better results. Also, it s been very difficult to get an appointment with the teacher. The parent community is great though.

Posted July 31, 2014
Terrible. No spirit, no pride, no arts. You'd be better off going to a place where the teachers care more about just test scores.

Posted April 29, 2014
Aragon high school was the school I graduated a year ago from. Honestly I can say that every teacher I had was absolutely amazing. I learned so much and I really got a lot out of this high school. I recommend AP English because all high schools do not prepair kids for college essays unless they take AP English. This high school had very caring staff and really wanted the best for it's students. I loved this school and it's a great opurtunity for any kid to grow into a amazing adult.

Posted November 07, 2013
Aragon can be very good if you look at it in an academic way, yet I feel as if the students at Aragon are not being prepared for college. Many of the teachers at Aragon are wonderful and kind though my children have also received some very negative and demeaning teachers who at every opportunity single out children for their disabilities and not their strengths. Most courses at Aragon are either extremely difficult or much too easy for the students. There is no happy medium when it comes to classes. My daughter constantly complains about attending school at Aragon saying that most of her classes are too easy or too hard for her and she does not feel she is getting the proper education we strive for. Also, Aragon seems to have no school spirit or pride, which is something students look forward to in high school. Many of my daughters friends are considering on switching schools and I am contemplating whether or not to transfer my daughter to another school because Aragon is not a school I would want her to continue to attend.

Posted November 29, 2012
Most of the teachers are great but there are a few of them who give out extremely difficult tests, don't grade on a curve and get irritated at the students who ask questions.The honors/AP courses are the actual college course for the subjects and kids have to absorb some lesser grades that may wreck their GPA as a reward for getting into those courses in the first place. If these students could get A's in AP courses then they belong in college and not high school. There are many college students who couldn't get an A in the class so how would a high schooler be expected to. I agree with the previous post about lack of support for any student who is not performing at a high level. Recently a pre calculus student was told that if you are doing poorly then drop the class! At that level of math one could assume all the students are bright so if they arent learning who's fault is that? There does not seem to be any monitoring of the teacher grading. Some classes give a high number or poor grades and the teacher is not investigated for poor performance. So if your child is a superior student they will do well, but then kids like that teach themselves anyway.

Posted December 27, 2011
The teachers are wonderful at Aragon, but for the most part you just have them one time in four years. The counselors change each year and there is no individual support or knowledge of a student. In almost 3 years my childs only interaction has been once a year when the counselor signs her class list for the next year. There is no school spirit or pride. There are two levels of classes, college prep with little homework, and AP with two hours of homework a night per class. The students are thus either bored or living on 5-6 hours of sleep to keep up. The administration is unwilling to make any changes to any part of the school - their favorite refrain - that's impossible. If you'd like your child to be a test score stat or graduation stat than Aragon is the school for you. Because treating students as statistics, rather than individuals is what Aragon does best.

Posted October 08, 2011
Aragon has good scores because the student body comes from affluent families. Don't count on any support for a student who is not performing at a high level. The administration is inept and unaware of what is going on at the school. Bulling as well as harassment based on race, sex, and gender orientation is common.

Posted October 08, 2011
Wow, I just read a review saying Aragon has good scored because the students are rich. I'd say that might be true for 1/4 of the kids, but there are also many from decidedly non-affluent families. However, affluent or not, many are from families that care about academics. For the others, there is a lot of support at Aragon, for example, with the AVID program. As far as harassment based on gender orientation, I'll just say that GSA (gay straight alliance) is the most popular club on campus. If someone is being harassed, for any reason, they should report it to the school counselors. My child was being harassed slightly at one point, and I found the administration extraordinarily concerned and responsive. w.r.t. teachers, like any school, there are good ones and there are less good ones, but most of the teachers at Aragon are VERY good. We've run into a few truly exceptional ones as well (think AP Bio and Freshman History, not to mention orchestra).

Posted March 09, 2011
Aragon is an excellent school. Our child transferred from a private school sophomore year and we would highly recommend Aragon. The academics are rigorous and the kids are going to great schools. The teachers are very impressive and our child is so happy with all aspects of the school. It is nice to be at a neighborhood school with our child's friends living close by.

Aragon High School 0

Posted November 10, 2010
Excellent academics and athletics.

Aragon High School
900 Alameda De Las Pulgas, San Mateo, CA  94402
Last modified Aragon High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Aragon High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 148 reviews. Top