San Miguel, CA

Posted December 03, 2014
My Granddaughter is in the T K class at LL. Love it! Awesome teacher, staff has been wonderful. Love that my English speaking granddaughter is in a class with a bilingual teacher and students from different backgrounds. Could care LESS about the standardized test scores! I see happy kids who are excited about learning. Love the small school, homey atmosphere.

Lillian Larsen Elementary School 1

Posted January 22, 2014
Im giving this a One Star strictly for the office staff, and so called Principal. I have never in my life been spoken to in that manner. The rudest lady EVER. Finally asked her to stop speaking to me that way, then the Dr., Principal, whoever he was jumped into my face defending her. OUTRAGEOUS. Immediately removed my son from this environment!

Lillian Larsen Elementary School 4

Posted June 26, 2013
My son attended this school in kindergarten and first grade and it was wonderful. Even though many of his classmates were learning English as their second language, he was never slighted and left first grade reading at the third grade level. Yes, they need more parental involvement but it is because many parents are working. This is one of the only schools in the north county that still offers field trips and the teachers plan so many extra events and activities for the students that learning is still fun! Check it out for yourself as sometimes mostly dissatisfied people post comments on these sites.

Lillian Larsen Elementary School 3

Posted August 20, 2012
Frankly, I don't care if a school is 80% white, hispanic, purple or green... I DO care if parents are involved and that's part of the problem at Lillian Larsen. Most LL parents are NOT involved enough. LL Teachers are OK, principal is OK, facilities are OK... but the vast number of parents--and yes, they are hispanic---are NOT involved.The nanny-state idea of having a school feed your kid "free" breakfasts, snacks, and lunch is causing these parents to tune out and let the school "raise" their kids for them. Yes, many LL kids come from homes that barely read/write in English so they get zero academic support from home. They start kindergarten behind and finish 8th grade behind because they're ESL kids who honestly need to just be IMMERSED fully in English. I even knew a kid who--NO JOKE--had never seen a crayon before starting school at LL!! There ARE LL kids who walk home by themselves--as young as 1st graders--and come home to the TV blaring telenovas and no mom or dad around... So, in a nutshell, LL's just an OK school but I put more blame on the uninvolved parents than the kids. Too bad the staff can't FORCE these parents to show up, volunteer, help in classrooms, etc!

Lillian Larsen Elementary School 4

Posted February 15, 2012
I'm not sure why so many of you are giving this school a bad rep. Is it simply because it's 80% hispanic? What's wrong with that I ask you? Yes, LL has lower test scores due to the fact that there are more spanish speaking children than english, therefore the test results are lower than other schools, HOWEVER - the school provides each child with the Curriculum you will find in other community schools. My oldest children went to a district that was considered the "best" in our area. They did not receive the personal attention that my 2 youngest children are receiving at LL. We recently made the decision to staying in San Miguel and purchased a home here, due to the fact, that we didn't want to take our children out from this school, we simply love it, and please, give this school a chance, the staff deals with issues in a timely manner and the principal and teachers are professional. This school has a great community feel, Lillian Larsen is the school for us!

Lillian Larsen Elementary School 1

Posted September 07, 2011
We had to do an intra-district transfer for my daughters first year of school (kindergarten) due to the fact that Lillian L. had terrible test scores. The next year (1st grade) we were asked to attend L.L. by the schools superintendent. We were told that they would do anything to make our experience there one that would be beneficial to our daughter. They were excited to know that my wife and I love to volunteer our time and resources to help out the class and the teachers. When my wife tried to volunteer her services at L.L. she was asked not to help due to the teacher feeling intimidated. We just want our daughter to keep her focus in school. She is a daydreamer. We do not want the teacher to put a CD in a player to read a book. If you have a child that has English as their second language it would be a good school for you. The class is about 80% Hispanic or Latino. As per the recent test scores only 33% of those kids are proficient or better in English. Your kid will be going backwards about two years in education. For those parents out there that wants to say otherwise; visit any other school. Then spend a day in a L.L. classroom .that is if the teacher will let you.

Posted January 29, 2010

Lillian Larsen Elementary School 2

Posted December 11, 2009

Lillian Larsen Elementary School 0

Posted November 02, 2009
this school gives the children as many oppurtunities that it is able to give and its not as hard to make good friends

Posted July 09, 2009

Lillian Larsen Elementary School
1601 L Street, San Miguel, CA  93451
Last modified Lillian Larsen Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lillian Larsen Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top