Glenwood Elementary School 2

Posted October 03, 2014
It is so sad that a sincere and truthful review was written..that wasn't sparkling and perfect..and the GSF gets it taken down. This is supposed to be a forum..1st amendment rights..guess the truth hurts..and I guess the GSF also controls this page as it try's to make stepfords of all of us @ Castlewood drive. What a shame..fabulous teachers..good kids..very controlling parents association. So glad that there are other forums that won't be strong armed.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 03, 2014
I am a parent at Glenwood School with two children that have had the most wonderful educational experiences over past six years. The teachers and administrative staff are extraordinary and they only have the best interest at heart for all of their students. As with all public schools in CA there are many missing components which are sadly not offered to schools and that is where the Glenwood School Foundation comes in to help round out the curriculum. Fundraising is a big part of any school and Glenwood is no exception. In order to offer classes such as Art, Computers, Music, PE and Science, we must participate in any way that we can to help fund these programs. Playing a part in school in any form helps the big picture for the students. Parent volunteers are desperately needed all year long to help facilitate programs, assist the teachers and enrich the academic experience for the children. I feel so grateful to Glenwood for providing such a safe and loving environment for my kids. Mrs. Goodhope is leading the school with experience and grace while being a supportive mentor to her students and teachers. My kids are happy and excited to be at school and that is truly priceless.

Posted October 02, 2014
I am the Glenwood School Foundation (GSF) co-President and I'd like to address your comments. First, regarding our principal, Kim Goodhope, my oldest child had Kim as a teacher in 3rd grade, and from our experience she is an outstanding educator. I have yet to encounter a single parent who has had anything negative to say about their child's classroom experience with Kim. Having worked closely with her in her principal's role, she is proving herself as a capable and dedicated leader. With respect to your comments about the GSF, would we rather there be no need for any fundraising? Of course, but unfortunately, neither the state nor the district will provide a computer consultant, PE, art, music or science teachers, so we must pay for those things which we consider part of a robust education experience. The GSF also provides technology enhancements, campus improvements, field trips, etc. Our total annual budget is approximately $350,000 for those programs and nearly all of those funds directly benefits Glenwood students. I invite you to come to our next meeting on Oct. 8 to find out more about us, or you can contact me via the GSF website gsf.glenwoodspirit.com. Thank you.

Posted October 25, 2013
I can't add much that hasn't already been said by the other reviewers. I just wanted to reiterate that Glenwood is an incredible place that has some truly amazing and caring teachers. My son has developed some much, both emotionally and intellectually. Each of the positive reviews are fairly representative of most of the other experiences. I could not recommend it more.

Posted August 27, 2013
If I could take all the essential parts of what I believe would comprise the perfect public elementary school, I would have to look no further than Glenwood. Outstanding Principal in Mr. Marcucci. His talents are many, however wish the SF Giants would have picked him up as a baseball scout, as he has again and again displayed an uncanny talent for drawing the most gifted and capable teaching faculty. I am generally the type of person who can always add an area of improvement, however, in this matter, can honestly say that I cannot. Wonderful school.

Posted May 26, 2011
We used to spend $25k a year to send our son to private school, but when we got into Glenwood, we decided to support the foundation and PTA of this great public school instead. We love this school and consider ourselves fortunate to have such a dedicated principal and staff. The principal actually rallies the kids every single morning and is a bit of a rock-star to the students, which means they respect him. My son adores going to school and we feel good about the basics as well as the extras available here.

Posted February 24, 2011
Glenwood is a California public school which only continues to improve. The faculty is first rate, led by a progressive and dedicated Principal. The enrichment and quality of Education is first rate. Glenwood balances a curriculum which is academically focused, and stimulates positive child development. The State BOE should take a close look at Glenwood, as again, this is a California public school that got it right! Cons??.... are you kidding :0) My wife and I consider it a privilege to send our son to the finest elementary school in all of Marin, and possibly the state.

Posted September 25, 2008
I have two sons in Glenwood and they have really worked hard to make learning interesting for each boy. One is in Gate while the other is doing very well. Where he has issues, the teachers work to build capabilities. I can not have asked for more out of a school than what Glenwood has provided.

Glenwood Elementary School 4

Posted February 09, 2008
After almost three years at Glenwood, the pros and cons are sinking in. The pros: Glenwood is a fabulous school academically with test scores time and again among the top among elementary schools in Marin County. A wonderfully dedicated staff makes the learning experience that much greater. Lots of parent involvement in the way of volunteering in the classroom and at fundraising and community building events. The cons: the geographic community from which the school draws its population is itself is very condensed, in places fairly homogeneous socioeconomically, and a bit isolated from the rest of San Rafael. This makes for a very tight community that at times can seem exclusive, particularly if one does not live in the Glenwood neighborhood or in neighboring communities nearby. This can be overcome by oneself becoming very involved, but it can take work to fit in if you do not live in the neighborhood.

Posted November 09, 2006
Like a private school, with 10 out of 10 API numbers, huge parent involvement, which is a big reason this school is a Blue Ribbon Credentialed school. Their principal has been around for a long time, and their program are very consistent, and their standard is very high.

Glenwood Elementary School
25 Castlewood Dr, San Rafael, CA  94901
Last modified Glenwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Glenwood Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top