K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Like the parent who reviewed Mark Day in December, we’d choose this school again in a heartbeat. We have two children at Mark Day. Both have attended since kindergarten. I was initially skeptical about sending my kids to private school having gone to public schools my entire life. But if you look at the end product (the 8th graders) and you believe in the importance of the journey, you very quickly realize that there is something special about Mark Day. I don't think it is any one thing but how everything works together. Everything is so well thought out. From the rigorous and always improving curriculum (our son was exposed to writing paragraphs in K), to the exposure to other cultures (via partnerships and Passport Day), to the incorporation of SEL into everything, to the 7 pillars, to having P.E. every day, to the community (teachers, parents, staff), to outdoor ed. Our kids LOVE going to school and to learn. I'd love to take credit for that but I know much of that is due to Mark Day. I love how they get kids comfortable with public speaking. Our oldest was freaked out about that. Now he has no problem speaking in front of several hundred people. And they focus on building "grit." That was something I was afraid they would lose not going to public school and I know will serve them well when they are older.

I have attended the school for the past 6 years and I am now graduating. When I went to public school I was a little overdone with homework but I learned a lot in not that much time. At Mark Day they try to hard to protect us and then when we get to high school we are slammed, stressed, and unready. many of the teachers are very nice and understand so the push you harder but that only starts to happen in 7th grade. This makes kids very unprepared for what lies ahead in life. Overall, I think that Mark Day is a pretty good school but you could find one with all of its attributes and more within the area.

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

There isn't really bullying, but when it is there it is small and resolved quick by the students not the school.

Supports LD students: Neutral

Their aren't many kids with differences but there is one amazing support teach who is so kind and helpful, Ilene Varen.

Effective school leaders: Disagree

The headmaster is not so great he has gotten rid of school traditions doesn't know all the mere 380 kids at the school and the kids do NOT like him

Develops character: Neutral

It does but slowly and most people come in the middle or leave by the time they teach real stuff.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

They are awesome nice people most of the time and they are all very unique but they don't teach us as much as we would like but that's more of the school's fault then theirs.

Amount of homework: Neutral

It is good that it as less at first but it doesn't prepare you for what lies ahead.

We’d choose this school again, in a heartbeat, for our children. This is our family’s fifth year at the school, and it’s been a great learning environment for our children. Our kids love coming to school, they love their teachers, and their love their friends. We do, too. Being able to learn a language in kindergarten was important to our family. We like the focus on reading, math, the arts (our youngest loves music class) and the exposure to the world outside of Marin County through field trips, and visits to and from partner schools in China, Costa Rica, and South Africa. Highlights of us have been seeing our second grader travel virtually to countries like Japan, Kenya and Australia and make monthly visits to a local senior home. We value that our children have P.E. everyday—both for their physical well-being and because it helps them in other areas of their lives such as being a team player, resolving conflict, and with their learning when they’re back in their homerooms. We have found the teachers to be experienced and dedicated to their students, offering help before school, at lunchtime, and after school if one of our children needed to review a concept.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The faculty is a polished, integrated team who work overtime to make curriculum meaningful, engaging and practical. Did I mention fun and interesting?

Last modified Mark Day School is a Private school that serves grades K-8