Dougherty Valley High School 2

Posted August 26, 2014
awfully SMALL campus, students are forced into tiny halls and classrooms, multiple teachers share a single classroom, inadequate one-on-one time, most students rely on themselves rather than the teachers to get things done. administration is unprofessional and discriminatory. campus security is strict on the kids and punishes them if they do not follow the complicated sign in/out procedures but I've seen plenty of people (adults) walk into campus without being questioned. There are also many (4+) large back doors and fences unlocked during school hours. They don't provide enough food, many students starve because the lines are too long = food sells OUT within 20 minutes. Parking lot exists are often blocked on purpose by admins, expect to take 45 min to pick up your kid from school. DV academics only seem "good" because 90% of students are asians who spend lots of money and time to study outside of classes. as a college kid, I am prohibited from visiting the campus at ALL, but either way I'm never going back.

Dougherty Valley High School 3

Posted January 27, 2014
believe it, in my first year my items had gotten stolen and the office didn't do anything. the office will notice a problem and take care of it by making it worse. its THE STUDENTS that make this schools rating what it is, teachers are probably the most unproductive people only anding out paper work with no explanation, your 4 years will only be about getting paper tossed at you and your best friend will be your computer because teachers won't be a very good source like they use to. the school needs more time to become a monte vista or a cal high, but other than that, don't fall for the ratings fall for the facts. there is no diversity what so ever unless your blind. don't believe the parents that only look at the end end results of there kids. this is a report FROM one of those kids, your better off actually LEARNING than researching half the time at another school. the only up side is that its a new campus.

Posted October 06, 2013
As part of the first class to attend all four years at Dougherty, I can honestly say that there is nowhere else I would have rather gone. Hearing from friends at other schools in the district about how theirs were out-of-control with people skipping school and generally lacking a sense of pride in their grades, Dougherty really is the best public high school for miles around. What the first two years lacked in spirit, I am told the the current student body is making up for! There weren't cliques or bullies like the media often tells us, and the diversity was like nowhere else. It has been said that Dougherty focuses too much on grades and not enough on, well, anything else, and I would have to disagree with that. As a student who struggled with learning disabilities, I thought making a 3.0 was only a dream, but somehow, the Dougherty staff did it. They make you take an interest in yourself and your own learning, helping out in any way they can. I'm going to a fantastic college, one of the top 100 in the country because of this school. Dougherty is the best place for a student to receive and outstanding education and the tools to make something of herself and become someone great.

Posted February 20, 2013
My daughter graduated 2012 and now attends Saint Mary's College of California. She recieved a FULL scholorship. I am so glad all 3 of my girls attend this school. The academics is second to none in the Bay Area. At last years graduation ceremony the statistic was a 99.8% graduation rate with 92% of the graduating seniors attending a 4yr university going into fall 2012.

Posted September 20, 2012
My son graduated June 2011 and is now attending UCLA. We were very pleased with the quality education that he received at Dougherty Valley HS. He was well prepared academically to handle his college coursework. I have been a home owner in SRVSD and my children have attended school with the district since 1995. Due to recent divorce and sale of family home I have been renting for 6months during transition. I am finding that there are many in same situation that are currently renting temporarily. I spend many hours voluteering at my yougest sons school, etc. People don't be so quick to judge. I did the same and am now renting one of the units temporarily that I complained about as they were being built in order to keep my youngest in this school district. Because of my older childrens great experiences in SRVSD, I am looking to purchase new home here so that he can finish school here as well.

Posted September 19, 2012
We need to get more staff as the student population has doubled. As a property owner around the school and my son attended the school when it first open about 5 years ago. I love the first principal. She was superfast in responding to my email. I even received a personal a call from her within 10 minutes. Super hardworking principal who did the pioneer work in getting the school started on solid foundation. However, at that time the school has around 1,000 students or less. It is now 2,200 plus students as there are more rental units and new housing around. The property owners pay a lot of money on the property taxes and contribute to the schools with volunteer time and donation money. I know for sure the rentals are less inclined to do so in both time and money. Too bad the county is messing a good thing we got going in San Ramon as the county is the one who approved the 300 plus rental unit near the high school. Anyway, I still believe the new administration will continue to find ways to keep up the good academics. Sports are great too. The kids are well occupied with activities.

Dougherty Valley High School 4

Posted September 11, 2012
The academics are a big part of DV, because we were pushed to try. But that was helpful to me now. You can't just slip through the cracks and be successful in life. You need to push yourselves and the teachers did a good job at generally pushing us but not overloading us. The spirit has increased a lot in the last few years, and I loved going to the games and seeing teachers and their families supporting the wildcats along with us all. Most of the students are very proud to be Wildcats. I found that students at DV aren't as stereotypically cliquey like in other high schools. People are just genuinely friendly. There were several days when I would see someone sitting by themselves and I would or a random student would go introduce themselves and try to make a new friend. That's just how it is at Dougherty. You go out of your way to make others feel safe and welcome. As for the teachers, I was able to become very close with multiple teachers who really influenced me and made a very big difference in my life because of how much they actually cared about me. The only problem I found, was sometimes the admin is a bit dramatic over pointless things. And the tardy sweeps were dumb.

Dougherty Valley High School 1

Posted September 05, 2012
Hi Guys my daughter is a senior and the inefficiency of the counselor continues in past 2 years we had 4 counselors changed by the school for her.The first change was when they made change to the people under R could no longer be under the said counselor apparently they could not do this for incoming freshmen they had to do so for the entire school so my daughter who was a junior finds out the counselor who promised her letter of recommendation for college will no longer be doing so.She refused saying the new counselor who does not know her will be writing the letter.In comes counselor #2 she stays for couple of month than goes on maternity leave than comes the replacement who is also expecting,so she leaves too after few months.So I have given up on getting any help from these helpers of the kids and hired outside counselor so my daughter will have some decent advise when she applies for college this year.I wish this school will hire at least one senior counselor who could be the head counselor and teach rest of them through example how things should be run ,and keep the kids interest at heart .

Posted March 25, 2012
I totally agree that it is so hard to get response from the school (counselor, teacher and principal). You get frustrated after pushing for reply so many times. Part of the reason is that the size of the class your child should be lucky if the teacher still remember his/her name after the semester. Teachers and counselors lack of experience they are relatively young group as well. Still, it is a great school. High API is very encouraging. The residents overall education levels are high. They focus on their children s education that s why you see people hire tutors to help their kids to achieve under pressure.

Dougherty Valley High School 3

Posted March 12, 2012
The academics are top notch. It is great if your only goal for your child's 4 years of high school is to get to a good college. But that seems to be the entire focus. Parent involvement and spirit seems to be nil. Parents push their children hard to excel in the academics, getting tutors for A students so that they can get perfect scores whiles kids who get less than perfect feel ashamed. It is rare for families to even show up at sporting events. The only reason many even allow their kids to be involved in sports is for the college application not for joy or passion for the game. Passions outside of extremely high academic performance are not encouraged. There is no sense of balance or community at this school. The only memories many of these kids will have of high school is studying.

Dougherty Valley High School
10550 Albion Road, San Ramon, CA  94582
Last modified Dougherty Valley High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dougherty Valley High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top