Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted October 20, 2015
Dougherty gives too much homework because I always get stressed out because of it. I feel like if Dougherty gives less homework the students would feel happier in this school

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted October 20, 2015
Dougherty says to challenge yourself in the academics but is more like them forcing you to challenge yourself in the academics

Posted October 20, 2015
Dougherty is a bad school because these teachers don't teach much. Most classes are boring and teachers give you a ton of homework. If you are that kid who slacks off in school and is irresponsible, Dougherty isn't going to teach you anything. Your problem will build up and get worse and you will get really stressed out. Don't go to Dougherty!

Posted June 08, 2015
Okay, parents will say Dougherty is great and all, even the state will say that, its hell. Ask any kid at Dougherty and they will tell you how much they despise this school almost any kid. If you struggle at learning, or slack off in school, yeah Dougherty will make you learn and is great for you, if you are an overachiever its hell. Very few teachers actually teach at our school, the only reason we have 'high' scores is because all the kids take classes outside of school, skip grade levels of math and science, and self-study because they don't want to fail. To top it off, the air at our school is overly competitive, every one uses each other, and is like 80% asian, meaning of course we have high test scores, all my friends parents had them doing 8th grade math in 4th grade through Kumon. AP classes? Don't make me laugh. The AP classes at Dougherty are just a big excuse for teachers to not teach, give out assignments and say they are 'preparing us for college', please, if thats preparation for college, I honestly should just homeschool until I go to college, I'll waste less of my time, and be just as prepared. Bad sleeping habits are encouraged, I mean among my friends which are just about all the overachiever kids, we brag about how late we go to bed, its a sign of IDK, to be able to pull an all nighter, your looked down upon if you go to bed early. They encourage over scheduling yourself, your expected to take 4-5 AP/honors classes average out of a 7 periods max by junior year, a sport, an instrument, piano on the side, three different clubs AT LEAST, and have a leadership position in at least one of them, and thats just the minimum, thats average. Don't send your kids here, its a very bad idea. Sincerely, A suffering Dougherty student

Posted August 26, 2014
awfully SMALL campus, students are forced into tiny halls and classrooms, multiple teachers share a single classroom, inadequate one-on-one time, most students rely on themselves rather than the teachers to get things done. administration is unprofessional and discriminatory. campus security is strict on the kids and punishes them if they do not follow the complicated sign in/out procedures but I've seen plenty of people (adults) walk into campus without being questioned. There are also many (4+) large back doors and fences unlocked during school hours. They don't provide enough food, many students starve because the lines are too long = food sells OUT within 20 minutes. Parking lot exists are often blocked on purpose by admins, expect to take 45 min to pick up your kid from school. DV academics only seem "good" because 90% of students are asians who spend lots of money and time to study outside of classes. as a college kid, I am prohibited from visiting the campus at ALL, but either way I'm never going back.

Dougherty Valley High School 3

Posted January 27, 2014
believe it, in my first year my items had gotten stolen and the office didn't do anything. the office will notice a problem and take care of it by making it worse. its THE STUDENTS that make this schools rating what it is, teachers are probably the most unproductive people only anding out paper work with no explanation, your 4 years will only be about getting paper tossed at you and your best friend will be your computer because teachers won't be a very good source like they use to. the school needs more time to become a monte vista or a cal high, but other than that, don't fall for the ratings fall for the facts. there is no diversity what so ever unless your blind. don't believe the parents that only look at the end end results of there kids. this is a report FROM one of those kids, your better off actually LEARNING than researching half the time at another school. the only up side is that its a new campus.

Posted October 06, 2013
As part of the first class to attend all four years at Dougherty, I can honestly say that there is nowhere else I would have rather gone. Hearing from friends at other schools in the district about how theirs were out-of-control with people skipping school and generally lacking a sense of pride in their grades, Dougherty really is the best public high school for miles around. What the first two years lacked in spirit, I am told the the current student body is making up for! There weren't cliques or bullies like the media often tells us, and the diversity was like nowhere else. It has been said that Dougherty focuses too much on grades and not enough on, well, anything else, and I would have to disagree with that. As a student who struggled with learning disabilities, I thought making a 3.0 was only a dream, but somehow, the Dougherty staff did it. They make you take an interest in yourself and your own learning, helping out in any way they can. I'm going to a fantastic college, one of the top 100 in the country because of this school. Dougherty is the best place for a student to receive and outstanding education and the tools to make something of herself and become someone great.

Posted February 20, 2013
My daughter graduated 2012 and now attends Saint Mary's College of California. She recieved a FULL scholorship. I am so glad all 3 of my girls attend this school. The academics is second to none in the Bay Area. At last years graduation ceremony the statistic was a 99.8% graduation rate with 92% of the graduating seniors attending a 4yr university going into fall 2012.

Posted September 20, 2012
My son graduated June 2011 and is now attending UCLA. We were very pleased with the quality education that he received at Dougherty Valley HS. He was well prepared academically to handle his college coursework. I have been a home owner in SRVSD and my children have attended school with the district since 1995. Due to recent divorce and sale of family home I have been renting for 6months during transition. I am finding that there are many in same situation that are currently renting temporarily. I spend many hours voluteering at my yougest sons school, etc. People don't be so quick to judge. I did the same and am now renting one of the units temporarily that I complained about as they were being built in order to keep my youngest in this school district. Because of my older childrens great experiences in SRVSD, I am looking to purchase new home here so that he can finish school here as well.

Posted September 19, 2012
We need to get more staff as the student population has doubled. As a property owner around the school and my son attended the school when it first open about 5 years ago. I love the first principal. She was superfast in responding to my email. I even received a personal a call from her within 10 minutes. Super hardworking principal who did the pioneer work in getting the school started on solid foundation. However, at that time the school has around 1,000 students or less. It is now 2,200 plus students as there are more rental units and new housing around. The property owners pay a lot of money on the property taxes and contribute to the schools with volunteer time and donation money. I know for sure the rentals are less inclined to do so in both time and money. Too bad the county is messing a good thing we got going in San Ramon as the county is the one who approved the 300 plus rental unit near the high school. Anyway, I still believe the new administration will continue to find ways to keep up the good academics. Sports are great too. The kids are well occupied with activities.

10550 Albion Road, San Ramon, CA  94582-2901
Last modified Dougherty Valley High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.