San Ysidro, CA

Posted February 03, 2014
Here is my rating: Principal ok, PE, office & cafeteria staff poor, most teachers poor, (seems like they are more concern about fashion than teaching, some wear really high heels and lots of make-up to class), parent involvement, null. School staff always complaining about money and school supplies problems but what about all the Book Fairs, carnivals and Xmas gift shops they have all year? Bad experience with this school, changed school.

Posted October 15, 2013
Ms caracoza is a wonderful teacher!! Can't say the same about the front office staff they seem to understand why they work there if they don't like there job!! There so rude and disrespectful so much lack of knowledge

Smythe Elementary School 3

Posted June 06, 2013
The average class size is NOT 20 but 28 for one teacher and no assistant. Kids are really not able to take advantage of growth and different kinds of hands on instruction . a video and a book can only go so far. There is more available out there for them to explore and experience which would help them. Extra activities and field trips are non existent, It really all comes down to how can we pack them in the classrooms. I have not had other experience with other schools so I cannot compare. Some of the staff seems to be in the wrong occupation in choosing to deal with children . Don't go in for a band aid the teachers doing the best with the hand they are given...I applaud them!!!!

Posted May 14, 2013
I agree with one of the comments below. I've gone into the office a few times and the people who work there have 0 work ethic, I hardly doubt they went to school to learn. They are very disrespectful, and have lack of knowledge. Unfortunately the teachers seem to be the only ones that care, too bad that it doesn't make a difference on the overall performance of the school

Posted December 04, 2012
My child is in kindergarden and her Teacher Mrs.Crespo is awesome we came half year into this school and my kid was a little behind on her ABCs Last school in La Mesa was not as concerned on my child education. Last Teacher was hard to communicate with she had lost of complaints from other parents. I am pleased with the change of Schools. Mrs.Crespo lets me know how we can help at home with my child education.

Posted May 31, 2009
This school is very diverse from veteran teachers to young teachers. It is student-based learning and all the staff are very knowledgeable and friendly. Plus, they have Fall and Spring carnivals too!

Posted August 17, 2006
The administration and overall attitude of the school is negative. Not a pleasant enviroment. No extra activities. The school offers the bare minimum if that. There is no since of pride. Our only good experience was with Mrs. English a 4th grade teacher.

Posted March 22, 2006
This school could definitely benefit from new administration not just at the school level but at the district level too. All of the schools many short comings are blamed on a lack of funds however this school is in one of, the schools districts with the highest budgets. The problem is not the lack of money but the lack of proper budgeting and inadequate leadership, the teachers teaching mean well, but are just not being supported by their schools.

Posted May 04, 2005
Quality of teaching is excellent. My children all attended school there. We have since moved to Texas, where they are doing great because of the Awesome education they received at Smythe.

Posted October 19, 2004
I feel this school only cares about the money they recieve from the tax payers. They do leave our children behind. The school district is only interested in making money not really the education and well being of our children. The principal promises a lot and we never see any positive results. My advise is to look for a new school district.

Smythe Elementary School
1880 Smythe Avenue, San Ysidro, CA  92173
Last modified Smythe Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-3. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Smythe Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top