Orange County Educational Arts Academy

Charter | K-8 | 570 students

Dual language, arts and technoloty

Sweep tile

Posted today

I have noticed this year to be the best yet, teachers don't seem as pressured as before and they are doing a great job, other years the principal tended to micro manage everything and be a dictator like boss, maybe that explains why so many people left last year. This year my kids really like their teachers and so do I, I can see the rigor and hardwork. Great school year so far.

Posted today

I have been both a parent and board member at OCEAA since 2010 when my family moved from Chicago to Santa Ana for work. Our two children were in dual immersion schools in Chicago, so we were overjoyed to find OCEAA in the heart of our new home of Santa Ana. We could not be happier. As parents we are always welcome; the education of our children, IN TWO LANGUAGES, is excellent; the food program is one of a kind; and the administration is open to new ideas. Every year we see improvement and growth. OCEAA is a gem.

Posted today

Good school overall. Like any school, there are issues but they are resolved. Good Principal. Keep in mind that most of the staff is young, females which means you will have maternity leaves frequently. Some people don't mind it, others do. My kid keeps complaining that the food is flavorless...but that's because it's "healthy." Better than the district food they feed the kids elsewhere.

Posted Thursday, April 17, 2014

All I have to say is I have 4 kids (3 boys 1 girl). My 3 boys are in high school and my daughter attends OCEAA. My daughter and I have had such a great experience at OCEAA that if I could have put my 3 boys in that school I would have. By the time my daughter was elementary school age I had had it with our local elementary. They did not go above and beyond to help my kids like OCEAA has. I recommend OCEAA to ALL of my friends who have children my daughters age and younger.

Posted April 14, 2014

Oceaa has the greatest opportunities for our children, they continue to teach music, art and dance. Their encouragement to healthy eating is also one of the best choices for our students and it helps us parents implement that at home. My son loves this school and he will miss it next year!!!! Thanks to all the teachesr and school and principals for their great efforts!!

Posted April 9, 2014

A wonderful, nurturing place for students to learn & grow. An academically sound education as well as many different options for art, music, dance etc is offered through all grades in this K-8 school. OCEAA has a fresh food kitchen & the students not only eat healthy, fresh food every day, they also learn a lot about nutrition. They are growing up to be healthy, culturally aware, academically sound bilingual citizens of the world. Oh, & it's a terrific place to work as well!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 2, 2014

From the tour I attended at this school I am now 200% convinced this is the best school I can enroll my child into. She will be entering kindergarden and we are all very excited to make memories with the staff and other parents. I absolutely love the cafeteria that serves only FRESH REAL FOOD prepared daily! I wish other schools would adopt this practice instead of feeding our next generation what they consider as "food" but lets be honest, that is garbage! The dual-immersion program look's great and has a ton of data and studies that back it up, not just from this school's history but across this nation you will read the same. More schools like this are desperately needed!

Posted August 29, 2013

OCEAA is a small school with a positive environment. Kids learn to eat health and make positive choices. The use of art, music, dance and technology provide fun & interesting learning for all core subject. The staff is dedicated to quality and safety. Wonderful Happy place for students to thrive.

Posted August 28, 2013

From the moment I heard about OCEAA and its philosophy of education, I was hooked. We have been a part of the school now for 3 years, and I can honestly say that everything just keeps getting better. I love that my kids are becoming truly bilingual in both Spanish and English, that they are growing in a deep love for the Arts, and are being nurtured into responsible and compassionate people who truly seek to make a difference in the world. I love the diversity in the school, and the way that both the teachers and staff seek to proactively help our children value being part of a multicultural community and world. I admire Mrs. Hardman Greene's leadership of the school, and her ability to continue providing vision and support to the staff, families and students she is entrusted with. I have shared many times with other parents that at OCEAA we are receiving a top private school education at a public school "price". We are extremely grateful for this opportunity, and would never want to be anywhere else!

Posted August 27, 2013

We just began our 4th year at OCEAA and the school just gets better with every year. The curriculum (based on a dual language immersion program) implements CORE teaching standards. With one of the lowest student-teacher ratios in the county - each teacher can amply dedicate his/herself to truly guiding each student to success or progress with any subject he/she may struggle with. The teachers are warm and caring, while the administration is strong yet flexible. My child is learning to be a leader amongst his peers and I couldn't be prouder of him and of our small school with its small home town environment. Each year state testing results in higher and higher scores, beginning with one of the biggest jumps in OC 2 years ago. The school does an amazing job at teaching students about healthy eating with its own kitchen and a chef that puts out meals prepared daily!! This includes its own fruit/salad bar. This cannot be said for many other public schools in the county. OCEAA is not a fit for every family - but if you want your child to be in a strong, safe, nurturing environment that provides for health, growth and learning than OCEAA is the school that best fits those needs.

Posted August 27, 2013

This is a great school. Love the commitment of the staff to the kids and succeding. Great class sizes!!! On site chef with great options for all dietary needs.

Posted August 26, 2013

I am so impressed with the knowledge that my son comes home with every day and feel that this school is doing a fantastic job in teaching the kids!! Keep up the great work OCEAA!!

Posted August 26, 2013

Coming in as a New Parent to this school I automatically fell in love with the curriculum, staff and the principal. I am currently one of the Secretaries for FSO leadership team, I love to be part of my children s life in every aspect. . My son is currently a kindergarten and I have my other son on the waiting list(keeping my fingers crossed for an available spot to open up soon.) As part of the FSO leadership team I have the opportunity to get to interact more with the staff and get to be part of the school activities. The staff is friendly and easy to approach. The Dual program that my son is enroll is helping him exceed in the future, the technology that is being taught will definitely help in the long run. I believe that they re curriculum will prepare young minds to a more modern technologic future.

Posted August 26, 2013

My three children attend OCEAA and are really happy here, it's amazing how much they learn everyday, my oldest is very artistic and really enjoy the many opportunities to develop her talent, my shy middle one was encourage to find her voice and my active little one is been teach the skill to help him calm himself and focus. OCEAA is truly a fantastic school.

Posted August 14, 2013

Let's see - test scores going from the lowest on OC to a 92 point gain in one year, then 16 point gain, then a 26 point gain. Showing progress to me. And more importantly the children are growing and learning.

Posted September 17, 2012

Love this school! They take a pro-active approach to education and are very supportive of the arts as well as academics. The school is friendly and I see happy children and involved parents when I am there. The bilingual education is excellent and test scores continue to rise. In my opinion, a high quality school.

Posted June 20, 2012

This school is not a great enviroment for students to learn and become competitive students. The school focus much on politics and does not provide the necessary support for teachers. During the short time that I was involved with the school, I learned that most of this school's problem is the lack of backbone of the principal. She does not support the teachers and staff, she does whatever a few parents say. She is a puppet that can be controlled, but a small number of parents that have no idea how to run a school. Teachers are great but scared of losing their job if they demand more support. I am really sorry too see that great, talented teachers have to work in this conditions where their voice is not heard. Teachers you deserve better adminstration staff, respect as professionals and suport not demands from parents.

Posted October 18, 2011

My grandson attends Kindergarten at OCEAA and he loves it. He is learning many new and exciting things and finding a friendly, loving place, which i would say is a perfect combination for K. We are so pleased with his teachers, the atmosphere and the professionalism of all our contacts. The after school program is outstanding because it is full of play, learning, order and staffed by really kind and qualified teachers.

Posted March 14, 2011

My children attended this school for a brief period of time. I found that it not only lacked in academic achievement, but also in nurturing a safe and healthy environment for my children to grow. The school is run not only by the staff but also by a small elite group of parents who have far too much say in the direction of the school. Additionally, this school does not in any way prepare children for the High School of the Arts. Most of the teachers, if not all, have absolutely no training what so ever in any area of art. I found the art work to be cookie cutter art. This school failed my children in every possible way. When I withdrew them from here, my son was two years behind in every subject, however his report cards never demonstrated that. I have spoken to a number of other parents who like wise withdrew their children and found that they too where behind. The principal is patronizing and dismissive. Yes the school has improved, it had too because the state was threatening to take it over it was doing so poorly. If you care about your child's academic achievement Try El Sol instead. It is right across the street from this school.

Posted August 31, 2010

My children absolutely love going to school here. The Principal has shown great leadership in making some unpopular decisions but wise decisions - which paid off. With all the hard work the teachers and staff have put in the last two years, it is really beginning to show. My kids are all enrolled in the dual language program and are all making great strides. I am very proud of their abilities. Parental involvement is okay. It seems like the same parents are always involved. It would be nice to get some fresh faces.

This school's

(2012)

4 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

4 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students40%

Fluent-English proficient and English only47%
Parent education - not a high school graduate33%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)42%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students44%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 76%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Autism
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Technology

• Foreign languages
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs
Foreign languages spoken by staff

Health & athletics

• Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
  • Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club

Gifted & talented

Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:10 am
School end time
  • 3:25 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Linda Hardman Greene
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (714) 558-2775

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based

• Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Orange County Performing Arts Center

• Poetry
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom