Saddleback High School

Public | 9-12

Living in Santa Ana

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $230,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,720.

Posted April 22, 2014

I was in the graduating class of the 80's. And I can truly say I loved attending Saddleback in my high school years. I have a son who attends Saddleback now who played football 9th -12th grade. And I was so disgusted in not seeing any parent involvement whatsoever in helping out with fundraisers or just giving a helping hand. These boys work their butts off and yet the parents are no where to be seen. The coaches try all they can but you still need parent involvement in supporting your kids if you want to make a difference. Hopefully 2014 will be a new start for the boys football team this year! Go Saddleback, never give up and always give it all you got.

Posted January 7, 2013

I was lucky enough to have an aunt that cared enough about me to put me in Saddle back High School. My Grades improved, I had friends, got involved with school activities and meet some wonderful friends. Thanks for a wonderful school year. Debbie Swails

Posted April 18, 2012

I was in the second graduating class at Saddleback High School in 1970. At that time this school was the best in Santa Ana building wise the teachers and administration were very good. If they have deteriorated it is because of both the city and state government not willing to invest in our children and where first budget cuts come to education. We didn't have a lot of money then either and a lot of the little things were donated by the parents at that time. It still has potential to be a great School

Posted May 27, 2011

When posting my review regarding the automated phone messages, I forgot to thank the young lady that did her best to help me with this matter. She did her best to resolve the situation and I thank her! It's not her fault that the people running the high-tech end of the school system have no common sense.

Posted May 24, 2011

When I went here in the late 90s, this place was a joke. I was placed in h.s. planning and driver's ed in 12th grade when I already had my license. I didn't bring anything to class and no teacher cared. Rolling Stones' t-shirts were considered "gang-affiliated" (Uh, I was a far cry from that) and I would run into teachers at Burger King when I just left the school because NO ONE CARED. I met people who were getting diplomas that couldn't speak English, let alone read it. (I figured English classes were a requirement for graduation, right?) I helped one poor girl get out of an English class that couldn't WRITE A SENTENCE, let alone an essay (let's just say free tutoring?? I was extremely bored). Some teachers were just sad to see. Waste of my time, this place was. I just tested out of school because THANK GOD I am an autodidact an didn't absorb SHS's nonsense. I really hope things are better now. :/ If this post is offending anyone, please delete it. I was just trying to give a head's up. I don't care that much.

Posted October 12, 2009

It is the best school in Santa Ana. It has really great teachers and there is nothing bad to say about Saddleback H.S

Posted July 10, 2008

Well Im still a senior at Saddleback High School and have noticed that the school is deteriorating. I will put most of the blame on administration and students. I love the teachers I do find them motivated and are fully commited to trying to get the students to go to the best universities possible. Lastly I am proud to say Im a roadrunner!!

Posted May 19, 2008

Unmotivated students, unmotivated teachers, unmotivated staff members. It just felt like a gloomy place where this aurora of lack of careness for education. Transferring out of Saddleback and to Segerstrom high was the best thing that happened to me.

Posted February 27, 2008

the programs are good but the attiude of the staff is poor. their counselors, are just awful, poof attitude, talk down to parents and studnets difficult to deal with and talk to. they lack understanding, feeling and caring for the students

Posted July 24, 2007

the teachers were great the programs were verry help ful also business academy help me with my digital portfolio those have been the greatest times with Academy of business and technology

Posted January 6, 2007

I graduated from shs in 2004 and I loved the time spent there. Shs has many programs to offer to the students. I was in the business academy and I learned so many useful techniques that have helped me out in the working world. Shs has what it takes to offer a successful education, it all the depends whether the student takes advantage of the opportunities given. Parent involvement is limited but in a hispanic community where parents have to work to support the family and have night shifts or no transportation it is difficult to attend many of the events. As in everything there is always good and bad but shs is a great school! If more donations and contributions were made towards shs the school would improve greatly. Out of all the santa ana public high schools shs is the best! Roadrunners are the best!

Posted May 21, 2006

I graduated from S.H.S. 2002. I think its a good school, it has many AP and honor classes. Some of the best teachers and programs are from the Spanish Department. Currently I'm going to CSUF and I haven't learned much in my spanish classes, I learned everything in S.H.S.

Posted May 15, 2006

The school itself and the special education plan is great. The attitude of the staff and they way they treat the students and parents I do not like, very unprofessional and poor attitutdes.

Posted August 30, 2005

Saddle Back is a great School!

Posted August 6, 2005

Once a student of SHS, I am proud to say that the school has high academic standards for all of its students. It is important to note that SHS is populated ethnically diverse, and thus has made many adjustments to accomodate some of the students--this, in my opinion allows for students to be exposed to different parts of the world through their peers. The honors program and AP program are top-notch, most students who enroll in these courses end up in some of the best schools in SoCal and in the US; incuding: UCLA, USC, UCB, Stanford, Cornell, NYU, Boston Uni.

Posted March 31, 2005

I have found the Saddleback staff difficult to reach unless you actually go to the school. Also, they are inconsistent on absences. My son has skipped a lot of classes since January and I did not find out about any of it until the end February. I had spent over two weeks calling daily leaving messages for any counsler regarding my son with no response. I finally had to go to take time off work and go to the school and meet with the assistant principal before I had control of the situation.

Posted March 15, 2005

The quality is adequate. Several different types of extracurricular activities are available to students. Parent involvement is limited.

Posted March 15, 2005

One of my child attended this school it was a big disappointment when it came to administration. it was hard trying to schedule appt w/principal. the counselors when we had questions about how we can send our daughter to colleges getting scholarship it was just hard making appts or even getting them on the phone. overall personnel were rude. they'll be chatting within themselves never ask if they could be of assistance.

Posted May 9, 2004

I think Saddleback High School is a grate school but they need more teachers and more peole to clean the school after hours and befor school hours because its dirtty and they need to give it a new paoint or just renew the school because some classes smell and have stains in them and most of all they should pay more attention to the Cheer squad because they never say thank you to them when they cheer at a game or when they win for school spirt si that is what I think about the school but most of all renew it and more attention to th cheer squad

Posted April 11, 2004

I am currently a teacher here. Our students are respectful and kind but they want everyone else to do their work for them. Our classes with class size reduction are under 20. Other classes suffer for this and have around 40. We have almost no administrative backing and the students realize this and use it to there advantage. Teachers are blamed for students poor grades, even though we bend over backwards offering tutoring and support. There is almost no school spirit. Our school district has mis-managed millions and now the students and staff are suffering for this. Absolutely unfare! The students have no respect for their school surroundings so our campus looks like a dump. Four years ago I would have ranked us a 4, not anymore.
—Submitted by a teacher

(2012)

2 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

2 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

185 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

354 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

400 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

212 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

183 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

398 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

459 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

222 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

458 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

506 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

207 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

227 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

349 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

377 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students5%

Parent education - not a high school graduate35%
Parent education - high school graduate46%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)47%
Parent education - declined to state30%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students0%

Parent education - high school graduate30%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)52%
Parent education - declined to state13%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

520 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

521 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students68%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 10%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options