958 students|Tustin Unified

Bad
Good

2014 is the final year at this school.we left it with a great feeling of satisfaction ..7 years for my 3 kids no complaint,no problem,the teacher ,direction. are..very cooperative ,the students and parents are very friendly ...my daughter ends this year with a straight A , .. ...thank you for all the hewes staff member teacher,students parents ....

This is our sixth and final year at Hewes. Both of our kids have had superior core teachers every year for English and Social Studies. We have had extremely weak math teachers nearly every year. with the second one, we decided to stop complaining and hire a tutor. Every school has its weak spots-just frustrating when middle school math skills affect high school capabilities negatively. Administration has been excellent, control of behavior fine, and the overall experience very good.

I read some of the negative reviews and have to disagree. The staff has been very cooperative with me, even when my son forgot his lunch at home. In fact, when my daughter left an important assignment at home, she was allowed to go to the office, call me, and request that I drop it off so she would get full credit. The teachers are very communicative and if you don't know how your student is doing it is because you, the parent, are not engaged. The principal is so warm and kind to the students; my daughter just loves her. Couldn't be happier!

now we are at the end of our first year. I still say the teachers are responsive, but not proactive. In other words, if you kid is struggling in class, you as a parent better be on top of it, and be in contact with the teacher, because all we've gotten is "progress reports" sent home, but this is only after there's problem. Teachers don't email you or ask you in to discuss anything. I've had to request conferences just so I can see the actual test he's taken because they won't release them. It's a bit frustrating. However, the teachers have been accommodating about meetings, are responsive to emails, and overall my son likes it there. Campus seems to be fairly well supervised. But it sure it as change from our experiences in elementary school -- much more detached.

I have to agree with some of the comments left about Hewes. I think their envolement with being "politically correct" has become it's main focus and not on it's students. My daughter forgot her lunch one day. I took it into Hewes around the ten o'clock hour and was told they WOULD NOT contact her or even let her know that her lunch was there. When I asked them what they thought my daughter would do now with no lunch, all I got was a blank stare. There was no concern my daughter would go hungry that day, only a reprimand of me because I was asking them to give my daughter her forgotten lunch.....we took our kids out.

I think Hewes is a great school! Classes are very informational, and most teachers incorporate some fun into lessons. If we don't understand anything, teachers are always willing to put their time in to help us. We do get a lot of homework, but most of the time, we are given class time to complete them. I take a long time doing homework, but mostly because I procrastinate and get distracted easily. Last year, rules on homework were very strict. If you missed a homework assignment, intervention, NOT detention, as stated in other reviews, was assigned. Interventions were either during recess or lunch, and we were allowed to eat a snack or lunch during it. Now, interventions have been removed, and we just don't get full credit for missing homework, but getting 2 missed assignments will result in a detention. Some other reviews were complaining about the no cell-phone policy. I think that it's a reasonable rule because there is no way to learn while texting on your phone. Teachers sometimes use them because they have to, and they know how to restrict themselves. Overall, Hewes is a fabulous school! 1 thing I'd like to see is more student leadership positions like president, etc.

I agree with the student comment about negative consequences. I have older kids that went to Hewes. I think the culture and environment has changed a lot since they implemented the no grace policy they now have. The kids might conform to avoid punishment, but they loose some of the joy of learning.

I am attending this school currently and, i think that they do not give us enough freedom. The rules are to strict. If you miss one assignment, you get detention. I do not think this is fair at all.Other than that, it is a great school with a great educational program

This school is alright, however they could lo9wer their prices on foods easily!!! $2.50 For 1 slice of pizza! and $1.25 For a gatorade bottle half the size of the $0.50 Ones at the market. Besides the prices, the only other problem is how badly students are treated. A detention is assigned for every missed assignment, and my child cant even get lunch sometimes if he has lunch detention. Not only that but they give students almost no rights. They can confiscate your cell phone for using it at all but the teachers disrupt the class all of the time to answer cell phone calls. It is a joke!!

Strong Science and Social Studies programs. Average reading program. Weak writing and math programs. You'll have to supplement starting in 6th grade in order for your student to be ready for any high school honors program.

Last modified Hewes Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.