Santa Ana, CA
Students enrolled: 2,091

Mater Dei High School 2

Posted September 01, 2014
This school is great for athletics you can get the same academic classes and levels at a normal public high school. The teachers and administration will sugarcoat the academic programs but in truth, they are just trying to hang onto another student from going to another school.

Mater Dei High School 2

Posted October 03, 2013
The campus is nice, some teachers are great and caring, others you will go the whole year without hearing from them. Definitely a big school feel. My son is involved in ASB and sports. The basketball program is a complete sham. You pay to play. If you are willing to donate an extra 5k a year to the program, your son can play with the big boys even if they can't dribble! I've never seen a sports program charge 1k for the year and another 1k for summer. It's almost unheard of. You are basically paying the tuition of the star players that get recruited. In addition, your son will compete with 20+boys on a team and it's all based on politics not talent. Definitely not worth the headache unless your son is 6'5'' and you happen to be a celebrity or NBA prospect. I have made requests to meet with the administration but have never received a response. Hard to be involved in the school unless you know exactly what you would like to do and who to speak with. I chose this school for the course offerings and opportunity, but your child cannot test for honors or AP unless they have a 3.5 each semester. On the other hand, the campus is safe and the security staff is awesome!

Mater Dei High School 5

Posted September 14, 2012
I'm in my Freshman year, Mater Dei is an amazing school, I' not catholic but I'm still involved in it's sports, and academics. I'm aiming for all honors classes next year, this year I'm in Honors Algebra II / Trig and a couple other classes. My religion class is challenging due to me not being a catholic, but I love Mater Dei, all my cousins went here, and I'm proud to be a Mater Dei Monarch!

Posted April 18, 2010
Teachers at MDHS have no degree, no credential, and no Bible teaching, only Religous

Posted November 20, 2009
I have a freshman who is loving Mater Dei. She is not involved in any clubs yet, there are so many choices. The faculty, staff and students all band together to make everyone feel at home and make high school a fun and 'want to be there' place. Excellent expectations put on the students-no slacking in the freshman classes. Great communication between teacher and student.

Posted May 30, 2009
My son is just finishing his freshman year at Mater Dei. Overall, we have been pleased with his rigorous coursework and caring teachers. Mater Dei does a great job recognizing academic achievement. The athletics are competitive, but that was no surprise. Our son still had a great experience in the two sports he participated in this year despite the favoritism and recruiting that goes on.

Posted September 17, 2008
School has a great campus, teachers are interested in their students and want them to do their best. All of the schools in OC should try and duplicate for their is a future with the student's diploma.

Mater Dei High School 5

Posted September 11, 2008
I loved Mater Dei and I am grateful for my experiences there. I did not attend private school for elementary or middle school and entered only knowing four people, but quickly made friends. I was a two sport athlete and benefited from the excellent coaching and caliber of the teams. I was able to receive a full scholarship to my top school choice. I graduated with over a 4.0, so I did not actually need athletics to gain access to college. My AP and honors classes prepared me well. I now have a 3.9 gpa as I enter my junior year at UCLA as a science major. I have the option to graduate a year early due to the AP credits I received at MD. I often think that some of my classes at Mater Dei were harder than classes here. I would highly recommend this school to others!

Mater Dei High School 4

Posted October 12, 2007
I graduated from MDHS with a 3.85 GPA. I participated in no sports (I went to 1 football game in 4 years) & was active in AP & Honors classes, arts & music, took Latin & was enrolled in a program to help lower income families. By no means, was I a stereotypical MD student. I had a wonderful experience & a few of my teachers still have lasting impacts on who I am today. These teachers fostered my natural abilities & helped me cultivate an open mind which was so beneficial in college. Many of my college schoolmates went into shock that first semester with the amount of writing & work that needed to be done for GE classes - it was the same routine & discipline that was expected of me at MD, so I easily graduated from college a year early with hard work & a 3.5 GPA.

Mater Dei High School 4

Posted July 17, 2007
This school is good overall they have the best teachers and the absolute worst I've ever seen at the same time. Sports are king and definitely rule all decisions I've seen. The academics are excellent. My concern is the unforgiving, unmoving discipline policy that is sometimes 100% unfair. They can suspend a kid with no proof of anything and nobody will return your calls of protest. So if you have a kid who can't walk the straight line 100% of the time- watch out. They discipline severly and permanently for looking at someone wrong.

1202 West Edinger Avenue, Santa Ana, CA  92707