K-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Welcome! Over the last thirty years, The Prentice School’s highly qualified and compassionate faculty uses research-proven teaching strategies geared toward each student’s unique talents, strengths and needs. As in the last 30 years, students of The Prentice School continue to cultivate academic and social success through our specialized intervention curriculum in a safe and nurturing learning environment. At Prentice, we employ an adaptive approach coupled with our many years of experience to confidently embrace the challenges and opportunities precipitated by change in the field of education. We believe in engaging a wide network of experts, professionals, and long-standing partners to ensure our program stays relevant, efficient and effective. We honor the investment of precious time, resources, and hope our families entrust in us by delivering on our pledge to lovingly educate and challenge our students. Our vocation is developing effective citizens who are critical thinkers, creators, innovators, effective communicators and collaborators, technologically-proficient, self-directed learners. Prentice is led by a highly committed administrative team focused on demonstrating a model of excellence in educating children with learning differences. We are a close-knit community united by a shared belief that our students are bright, competent learners with tremendous potential. As Prentice faculty and staff, we are constantly touched and motivated by the academic and social progress – and joy – our students exhibit on a daily basis. Again, welcome to Prentice! Since 2013, it has been my honor to serve as Executive Director of such an exceptional and impactful learning community. I am passionate about education, and as a mother of two I understand a parent’s commitment to his/her child’s academic, social and emotional development. I invite you to contact us today to find out how we can support you and your child on their academic journey, or how you might get involved in supporting our mission and transforming lives. Warm Regards, Alicia
February 27, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)

Posted February 27, 2016
- a school leader

Posted August 26, 2015
My daughter needed to build both her confidence and reading skills. She found a strong social group and jumped 3 levels in her reading fluency and 2 levels in her reading decoding. She tells everyone she knows how much she loves the school.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 25, 2015
It's too bad that a negative review from an unhappy parent could deter a family in need from looking into Prentice. This school has changed my child's life for the better. No school is perfect but for my son with dyslexia and ADHD, it's perfect for him.

Posted August 25, 2015
My child has been at Prentice for 4 years now. I could not be happier with the quality of the program, teachers, staff, and administration. Before Prentice, my son hated going to school. He struggled in the classroom and felt badly about himself. Since coming to Prentice his reading and writing has improved, as has his self confidence. I am very grateful to have found Prentice. I cannot imagine where my son and family would be without it.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted August 24, 2015
How can a school teach honesty and integrity, when the leaders themselves pad test scores to reflect success?

The Prentice School 1

Posted August 24, 2015
Prentice is not the great school it once was. They do use a multi sensory curriculum that is helpful to the struggling learner. However, when the new director arrived 1 1/2 years ago, 60% of the staff left the school, red flag! We remained long enough to watch diminishing morale among teachers begin to affect their communication and teaching skills. We had our child's records transferred to a new school, where I was told my child's "records had been padded", that the reading level had been lowered significantly to reflect an improvement in speed and comprehension. Do your research. Prentice is no longer an effective school that puts the child's success above all. It has become a corporation, that is managed as such.

Posted June 16, 2015
Prentice teaches in a way that my child understands. The teachers and staff are caring and compassionate. Everyone is there for the good of the kids. It's the first time in a long time that my child looks forward to going to school and comes home smiling. My family is so fortunate to have found Prentice. We couldn't be happier.

Posted June 11, 2015
Prentice is the only school of its kind in Orange County. Ask around for another school that is fully accredited by WASC and Certified by The State of California as a Nonpublic School for students with an IEP. They have both credentialed special education and general education teachers and a team of specialists. My child has struggled for years and the public school offered little support. I am glad that I found Prentice.

The Prentice School 3

Posted June 09, 2015
With her decades-long background in education and dyslexia, Carol Clark had a deep understanding of the emotional journey and dedication of Prentice families, many of whom sacrifice financially, commute long distances, and volunteer many hours. This mutual respect between parents and the administration created a sense of community, camaraderie, and partnership with the school. In sharp contrast, the new leadership seems inexplicably adversarial, even counseling parents for their attitudes and for voicing their opinions -- as if they were employees or petulant teenagers. In my opinion, the disbanding of the Parent Alliance will even further limit parents’ input, involvement, and opportunities to ask questions, when other schools encourage just the opposite. To be fair, anyone would have a tough time walking into the top leadership position of a specialized school with a business degree, an 11-year career break and no experience with learning disorders (according to the iRelaunch bio). But, I believe that being so dismissive of parents whose daily lives are impacted by their children’s learning issues - and who pay $20,000 a year - lacks basic business (and common) sense.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
As Executive Director I am glad to have the opportunity to address the specific comments about our wonderful school posted by a parent on May 4, 2015. There is not space here to address everything, and anyone who would like to discuss any or all of these topics should feel free to reach out to us and we would be thrilled for the opportunity to discuss our school. Prentice is now, as it has been for its 30+ year history, devoted to children with learning differences, with a strong focus on children with language learning challenges, often called dyslexia. To be sure, our earliest marketing focused on dyslexia, and in recent years we have adjusted that message to reflect the broader set of challenges that we have always addressed. There has been no change in our goals or mission. A foundation of our educational process has been a teaching method known as Slingerland, and it has served our students extraordinarily well over the years. We remain as committed today to the use of this effective tool as we have been for the past three decades, and are thrilled that our well-respected prior director, Carol Clark, continues to lead our Slingerland teacher training. For decades, Prentice served as a nonpublic school, accepting students from school districts who determined they could not fulfill their needs. Several years ago the faculty at Prentice felt the demands of the school districts were interfering with our ability to serve our students, so we gave up our status as a nonpublic school. Last year, we became confident that we could once again serve as a nonpublic school and are proud to renew our partnership with public school systems in the education of children who are best served by the wonderful faculty at Prentice, and our specialized programs. Prentice is growing enrollment, extremely strong financially, and improving every day. Just this month we received a six-year renewal of our accreditation from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, the maximum possible accreditation period and a great vote of confidence in our program from a third party. We always encourage all existing Prentice parents to take advantage of our open door policy, where any questions about our operations can be answered. And we encourage any parent seeking a solution for their child’s learning challenges to contact us to learn more.
Posted May 22, 2015