The Prentice School 2

Posted May 04, 2015
In 2013, well-respected director, Carol Clark, retired from Prentice - formerly a school for those with dyslexia. Parents should ask: Is Prentice now a nonpublic school, accepting special needs children from public school districts? Are IEP s and free speech therapy offered to those who pay privately? Why did previous principals, psychologists, many teachers and office staff leave? What happened to the parent guild, the high school, and librarian? What was the annual enrollment for the last 5 years? Can I get references for those who attended Prentice during the transition? Where does the school explicitly state its class sizes, services/programs, field trips, teacher credentials, types of special needs, behavioral plans, tuition increases? Why does the handbook now state: If a parent/guardian has a concern about their own child, they are to go to the principal to discuss the matter not other parents. What is the definition of parents actions that impair a positive and constructive relationship resulting in the child s dismissal? Is Slingerland still a core class? What is the financial viability of the school?

Posted November 10, 2011
My 8th grade son is dyslexic and has some other learning differences and so far 2 months at the school and we see improvement. We commute very far to get there. Wish they'd expand to the Malibu area!!

Posted January 22, 2010
I have two children at the Prentice School this year. My son is doing fabulous - due to the extremely small class sizes, nurturing and caring teachers, amazing hands-on curriculum and overall structure of the school. He is now at his 3rd year at Prentice and we couldn't be more pleased. My daughter is in the Pre-K program. Wow - what an amazing program it is. Too bad I didn't send my son there for Pre-K. I would recommend this school to everyone. I don't feel that you need to be dyslexic to be in a hands-on enviornment with great teachers who care and treat each child with complete respect. This is the best school.

Posted March 31, 2009
Our daughter started 7th grade at Prentice last Fall. Overall her reading skills have improved dramatically and her self-confidence has returned immeasurably! The admin and teachers care a great deal about the students they serve and work tirelessly to provide not only a great education but interesting field trips and guest speakers. Prentice doesn't see their student body as 'damaged' as public schools do, but rather, they see them as different learners that need to find the ways they learn best and give them the skills they need to succeed in a word-oriented society. I wish we had found Prentice sooner, but the two years our daughter will have there will be better than none!

The Prentice School 0

Posted November 04, 2008
Our son and daughter attended Prentice. Our son is now attending community college and our 9th Grade daughter attends Brehm Preparatory School in Carbondale IL. The small class size and concerned, properly trained staff at Prentice helped both children

Posted February 29, 2008
Our third grade son has been at the Prentice School now for 5 months and wow what a difference. He actually loves going to school everyday. The kids are really all sweet, it is like a big family. The academics are amazing. My son is doing science experiments that I think some Public High Schools don't even attempt. I am so impressed. My biggest regret is that I didn't send him sooner. The teachers are amazing. They really care about the kids progressing. I can't even say enough fabulous things about this school. My son is finally blooming!

Posted August 16, 2007
This non-profit day school serves bright children who have dyslexia and other language processing difficulties. My two children, who had such a difficult time in our local schools, are thriving here and are now reading and writing at and above their grade levels! While it has served their needs in learning to read and write, they offer a full academic program with small class sizes. The teachers really care about their students! What I will say is the early detection and intervention is key!!!

Posted January 11, 2005
Small school for students with dyslexia and other learning disabilities. Teaches in multi modalities. Helped my student catch up and excel, built self confidence. Give him the skills he needs to excel in High School and College.

The Prentice School