K-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Welcome! Over the last thirty years, The Prentice School’s highly qualified and compassionate faculty uses research-proven teaching strategies geared toward each student’s unique talents, strengths and needs. As in the last 30 years, students of The Prentice School continue to cultivate academic and social success through our specialized intervention curriculum in a safe and nurturing learning environment. At Prentice, we employ an adaptive approach coupled with our many years of experience to confidently embrace the challenges and opportunities precipitated by change in the field of education. We believe in engaging a wide network of experts, professionals, and long-standing partners to ensure our program stays relevant, efficient and effective. We honor the investment of precious time, resources, and hope our families entrust in us by delivering on our pledge to lovingly educate and challenge our students. Our vocation is developing effective citizens who are critical thinkers, creators, innovators, effective communicators and collaborators, technologically-proficient, self-directed learners. Prentice is led by a highly committed administrative team focused on demonstrating a model of excellence in educating children with learning differences. We are a close-knit community united by a shared belief that our students are bright, competent learners with tremendous potential. As Prentice faculty and staff, we are constantly touched and motivated by the academic and social progress – and joy – our students exhibit on a daily basis. Again, welcome to Prentice! Since 2013, it has been my honor to serve as Executive Director of such an exceptional and impactful learning community. I am passionate about education, and as a mother of two I understand a parent’s commitment to his/her child’s academic, social and emotional development. I invite you to contact us today to find out how we can support you and your child on their academic journey, or how you might get involved in supporting our mission and transforming lives. Warm Regards, Alicia
February 27, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

The administration is more concerned with appearances than what the students are actually doing in the classroom. Administration is constantly wanting to try new ideas that they think will make the school LOOK good, but they don't think it through or give teachers time to actually properly prepare. Teachers are not being fairly compensated for the tremendous amount of work they are expected to do. There is a revolving door for teachers and staff because of all this. If parents want an emotionally safe place where their child can build confidence, Prentice is great for that. The teachers really do care about the kids. The potential for an amazing school is there and they are trying.

Develops character: Disagree

I'm not sure how they teach honesty and integrity to the students, but the office sure has questionable policies

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted February 27, 2016

My daughter needed to build both her confidence and reading skills. She found a strong social group and jumped 3 levels in her reading fluency and 2 levels in her reading decoding. She tells everyone she knows how much she loves the school.

Develops character: Strongly agree

It's too bad that a negative review from an unhappy parent could deter a family in need from looking into Prentice. This school has changed my child's life for the better. No school is perfect but for my son with dyslexia and ADHD, it's perfect for him.

My child has been at Prentice for 4 years now. I could not be happier with the quality of the program, teachers, staff, and administration. Before Prentice, my son hated going to school. He struggled in the classroom and felt badly about himself. Since coming to Prentice his reading and writing has improved, as has his self confidence. I am very grateful to have found Prentice. I cannot imagine where my son and family would be without it.

Develops character: Disagree

How can a school teach honesty and integrity, when the leaders themselves pad test scores to reflect success?

Prentice is not the great school it once was. They do use a multi sensory curriculum that is helpful to the struggling learner. However, when the new director arrived 1 1/2 years ago, 60% of the staff left the school, red flag! We remained long enough to watch diminishing morale among teachers begin to affect their communication and teaching skills. We had our child's records transferred to a new school, where I was told my child's "records had been padded", that the reading level had been lowered significantly to reflect an improvement in speed and comprehension. Do your research. Prentice is no longer an effective school that puts the child's success above all. It has become a corporation, that is managed as such.

Prentice teaches in a way that my child understands. The teachers and staff are caring and compassionate. Everyone is there for the good of the kids. It's the first time in a long time that my child looks forward to going to school and comes home smiling. My family is so fortunate to have found Prentice. We couldn't be happier.

Prentice is the only school of its kind in Orange County. Ask around for another school that is fully accredited by WASC and Certified by The State of California as a Nonpublic School for students with an IEP. They have both credentialed special education and general education teachers and a team of specialists. My child has struggled for years and the public school offered little support. I am glad that I found Prentice.

Last modified The Prentice School is a Private school that serves grades K-12