Posted June 30, 2014
Amazing school! My eldest child had an amazing expirience here! There were so many great programs this school offered such as mastery math and GATE. In adition, there were some less acedimiclaly inclined activities such as, Art, PE, Science, Computer skills., Vocal music, and Theather. However, as my younger child entered Monroe, I noticed these progams to slowly disingirate. The school is not like it was before. Still a good school, but I really wish things were back to how they were before . Howver, I must give credit that my older child who attend Monroe is now in high school and is achieving mosltly A's in Honors, AP, and College courses. I belive the bases to this excellent achivemnet is derrived partially from her alma mater, Monoe Elementary School.

Posted May 04, 2014
Monroe is fantastic! We love the teachers and the principle. The ICann art program is amazing, The freshly painted ball court walls give the school a renewed since of pride, there is a lot of good happening. The organic garden is great, the PTA is hard working and very involved in fostering the best education for the scholars! It's a gem on the Mesa!!!

Monroe Elementary School 2

Posted August 06, 2013
Over the last 15 years seven kids from my family (cousins) have all gone to Monroe.There are a few good things happening there still like the organic garden and music instruction and even the food in the cafeteria has gotten better!. But sadly this once great school is not what it used to be!!. So much that was good has been thrown away like Mastery Math program, Fifth Grade Shakespere, Sixth Grade Musical, the entire GATE program, and whatever other educational activities that apparently don't fit in with pursuit of the ALMIGHTY TEST SCORE. The current principal is VERYrude and unresponsive to parents, ineffective and plays favorites with student discipline, (bullying is now so common its part of the culture of the school!! It did not used to be!!) and has made the teachers miserable with MICROMANGMENT, busywork and intimidation. Many of the best teachers have left already, and most of the ones remaining seem stressed and burned out. I had two different teachers tell me this year that they were just putting in the time until they could retire in a year or two, is that who you would want teaching your child? .

Monroe Elementary School 2

Posted February 23, 2012
My son went to this school last year and the first half of the year I was truly amazed! I loved all of the staff and enjoyed being involved in the classroom and with PTA events. In the second half of the year I became very ill and my son, who has ADHD, was acting out more in school. Although the teacher and principal worked hard to come up with a solution, testing was never done for him. His teacher often left him in the back of the classroom for over an hour or two because he would leave her and other children alone. Nearing the end of the school year his teacher was so worn out from "dealing with him" that she told me if I bring him to school she is going to have him sit in the office all day because she cannot deal with him when she has other students to teach. We removed him from the school with less than a month left because we could not trust the staff any longer.

Posted November 30, 2011
My family LOVES Monroe Elementary. The teachers are great, the principal is outstanding, and the community is warm and embracing. I cannot imagine going any where else.

Posted November 01, 2011
We are a new family to Monroe and I am BLOWN AWAY by the dedication from the teaching staff, the experience and enthusiasm the new principal is bringing and the community my children have been embraced by. Within just a few short weeks everyone was saying hello to my children, big smiles fill the hallways, and a staff that went above and beyond to challenge my children academically. I am so excited to have a school we walk to every morning with friends from the neighborhood... it really is a hidden gem on the Mesa.

Posted October 18, 2011
Monroe is a great neighborhood school. It has unique programs which allow all the students to work in integrated classrooms as well as customized learning groups so that every child has a chance for their knowledge to grow.

Posted September 22, 2011
My children have been at Monroe for 3 years, and love the teachers and the staff. I am very involved with their education and am always welcome in their classroom and on campus. Monroe has a lot of programs for their overall development.

Monroe Elementary School 4

Posted September 19, 2011
Both of my children are Gate students at Monroe and I couldn't be happier with the atmosphere on campus. My children are thriving and are interacting with children fome diverse backgrounds. The teachers are very involved ant the PTA is very active. Clean campus and great cafeteria.

Posted September 18, 2011
Monroe School has a new principal (2011)! This was the only component missing at this amazing school, so it is exciting to see what will come! They are improving technology and communication daily and finding great ways to meet the needs of a very diverse population of students. The parent group (PTA) is top-notch, offering many programs and opportunities for involvement, the teachers remain consistent in delivering quality education, and the office staff is unbeatable - a winning combination. With new leadership and enthusiasm from the princiapl, expect to hear more great things in the future!

Monroe Elementary School
431 Flora Vista Drive, Santa Barbara, CA  93109
Last modified Monroe Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Monroe Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top