Posted January 12, 2014
Loving it. It's our first year, but with three children attending already have a broad swath of experience :) Teachers and office staff are caring, nurturing and respect every student as a unique human being. A great family feel, and I have never once heard my children complain of boredom. There are Choice classes on Fridays (fun arts and crafts type classes taught by parents), each child learns at their own level... One of the most important aspects I consider to be the Core Group which happens daily, teaching emotional maturity! Each class sits in a circle, and students go around one-at a time discussing their recent experiences and expressing concerns/ appreciations about their school-day or personal life. This promotes emotional maturity in the child. Self-reflection, and skills to work with others are a key part of succeeding in navigation modern life--- neighbors and co-workers will be from varied cultures and backgrounds: children learn to express their joy and also state their boundaries with others in a group atmosphere---assuaging the origin of antisocial behavior (i.e. bullying or acting out) since each child feels personally heard and understood by peers and teachers.

Posted September 05, 2013
So fun...Teacher's nice. Fixing the balls and books would be good. I love my school. (:

Open Alternative School 2

Posted September 04, 2013
A warehouse for children. A total disappointment. our kid was not taught how to read, write or do anything useful. While there, we witnessed the decline and transformation of a once prosperous learning institution to a sad and depressing and hostile environment for our kid. Bad news. BTW, the comments from 2009 are very accurate, It's just not the same school today.

Posted August 26, 2013
We love our school because they have indoor and outdoor class.our kids are always happy to go to school. We enjoy the end of year family camping trip for each grade. We love the theater arts and other electives that are taught by both parents and teachers in music and And other areas of interest. We enjoy the friendly staff and the encouragement they give toward parent participation. I wouldn't change anything about OAS they really support the family unit. We can't say enough good things we totally LOVE our school.

Posted April 21, 2011
We have had our children at OAS for a total of 9 years so far. My eldest is now in Jr. high and thriving both socially as well as academically. I believe this is proof of the wonderful teaching going on at OAS. The hands-on approach to learning academics along with the emphasis on the importance of learning to be socially responsible, have made this wonderful school stand out. Core Group is an amazing part of each day's curriculum in every grade. It is a vehicle for dealing with challenges that may come up for students during the day, as well as appreciations that want to be expressed. Core Group fosters a safe and effective environment for students to work out social challenges. The two head teachers that have been at OAS since my children have attended, have held both teaching, as well as administrative credentials. The philosophy of Progressive Education at OAS means that administrators and teachers are consistently learning new methods and theories to advance the learning that takes place. Many parents, like myself, are also involved in the learning that happens at OAS, and the best part for our family is that the environment at this school is organic and authentic.

Posted April 20, 2011
Our children have learned to learn, not just memorize. They've learned to have an appreciation for education while also learning how to respect others. Granted, our children started in kindergarden and had the full OAS experience while others (bullies?) may have more trouble adjusting when coming in later. This is a problem in all schools. Our eldest child is a straight A student in junior high after attending seven years of OAS. And while I'm pleased at the grades I'm more pleased to know that my children enjoy school and learning. As far as leadership goes, OAS has had some unfortunate circumstances due to budget cuts, etc. that have required an inordinate amount of principal time and effort. Overall I'm pleased with leadership and the parent participation in the school. The school does a great job with it's limited resources and it's amazing that it is a free public school open to anyone in the Santa Barbara Elementary School District!

Open Alternative School 2

Posted April 19, 2011
I notice a lot of the reviews are from 2009. This is our second and final year at OAS and I feel it is slipping away. We have had trouble with bullying all year. The teachers are great but their hands are tied in matters of getting the kids to listen or behave. The current head teacher (a.k.a. principal) is not credentialed or, in my opinion, qualified to run a school. This fact is slowly degrading the quality of education and the experience at OAS.

Open Alternative School 0

Posted October 12, 2010
OAS is a wonderful school, that is truly a community of teachers, staff, children and parents who come together to offer a unique, engaging, and effective learning experience.

Posted August 17, 2010
My children have excelled at the Open Alternative School! Academically, they are pushed to their potential. OAS has the ability to individualize instruction which sets this school above all other public schools. The students at OAS are responsible, caring and bright. I am proud to say my children attend OAS.

Posted May 04, 2010
OAS is criticized for it's lack of academics by people who have never set foot on our campus. The truth is OAS students are superior academically. Here are a few facts... -3 out of 4 of the La Cumbre students chosen for the Tri-County Gate Leadership Conference were OAS students. -The two essays awarded for the ADL 7th-12th grade contest were OAS students currently in the 7th grade. -The Renaissance Club (Honors Club) has an extremely high percentage of OAS students. Get the facts on OAS, it's an amazing school!

Open Alternative School
4025 Foothill Road, Santa Barbara, CA  93110
Last modified Open Alternative School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Open Alternative School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top