Santa Barbara, CA
Students enrolled: 1,828

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted June 12, 2015
They don't take reports by students of verbal threats and physical assaults seriously. They allow gangs to threaten other children and are not concerned with finding the ones doing it.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted June 12, 2015
They don't hold bad behavior accountable and don't care if children are threatened or harmed.

San Marcos Senior High School 2

Posted June 12, 2015
My son was beat up by 4 West side gang members after school. The administrators did nothing about it. Because he only knew one of the guys, they did not even try to find out who the others were. I feel like if my son had been a minority and the gang members white, it would have been a different story. The campus police said he didn't want to ruin his rapport with the one boy we did identify. I've never seen anything like this. I had to go above the school to the board and local legislature before anyone took it serious. They tried to make my son, the victim, feel bad, instead of the perpetrators. Kind of like blaming a rape victim for getting raped. His vice principal never would return my calls or emails unless I cc'd the principal. We are from Nashville, and I just had a lot higher expectations out here.

Posted November 20, 2013
I love San Marcos High School! It is the best high school in Santa Barbara because 1. the teachers and staff are nice 2. they are competent and helpful 3. they love their subject and job 4. the kids are low-key 5. they balance their academic with sports and activities 5. the students are proud to be Royals 6. the atmosphere is happy 7. You learn a lot and well! 8. You are prepared for the university. I JUST LOVE IT!

Posted September 30, 2013
Best kept secret in Santa Barbara. Great teachers and great kids. So happy we transferred districts to be here. The other high schools just don't come close to comparing.

Posted September 12, 2013
The AAPLE Program is amazing. My daughter is so well prepared for university. Equally as important is that my daughter has loved the program, the school and really enjoys everything about SMHS. I went to SBHS and was a bit sad when my daughter didn't want to follow family tradition, but I feel she got everything that she needed and wanted. She loves going to school each day and loves her teachers (in particular AP Chemistry, AP History, Year Book and Tennis). Nothing is more important to a parent than this balance in education--excellent teachers, administrators, students, program/curriculum and the school grounds are looking so, so good. Way to go SMHS--go Royals. Cheers for the principal, Mr. Behrens and the AAPLE director, Mr. Nielson.

Posted November 15, 2012
I graduated from San Marcos High School and I have to say my experience was amazing. Great campus, teachers, and classes. San Marcos was a great medium. It didn't have the pompous feel of DP and the less than adequate curriculum of SB.

Posted January 23, 2012
Awesome school. Fantastic staff. The block schedule really prepares students for college. Their test scores are improving every year.

Posted November 25, 2009
The block schedule is completely unique in that it really helps prepare you for college, and in my opinion really gives you more time to focus on your class. Instead of having to focus on up to 8 different classes, you can just focus on maybe 3 academics, which really helps in understanding the material. It's also nice, because you can get your homework done in class most of the time, meaning if you have any questions you can get them directly answered by teachers. The school also has a nationally recognized Band program, which went on to play at the Orange bowl last year. Last but not least, we are a CA distinguished school, and we have award winning teachers. We also have the highest test scores out of the three Santa barbara Public high schools.

Posted October 19, 2009
It's not cliquey, it is very open and relaxed. The education is great, and very specific and the teachers are qualified.

4750 Hollister Avenue, Santa Barbara, CA  93110
Last modified San Marcos Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
San Marcos Senior High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top