Posted November 20, 2013
I love San Marcos High School! It is the best high school in Santa Barbara because 1. the teachers and staff are nice 2. they are competent and helpful 3. they love their subject and job 4. the kids are low-key 5. they balance their academic with sports and activities 5. the students are proud to be Royals 6. the atmosphere is happy 7. You learn a lot and well! 8. You are prepared for the university. I JUST LOVE IT!

Posted September 30, 2013
Best kept secret in Santa Barbara. Great teachers and great kids. So happy we transferred districts to be here. The other high schools just don't come close to comparing.

Posted September 12, 2013
The AAPLE Program is amazing. My daughter is so well prepared for university. Equally as important is that my daughter has loved the program, the school and really enjoys everything about SMHS. I went to SBHS and was a bit sad when my daughter didn't want to follow family tradition, but I feel she got everything that she needed and wanted. She loves going to school each day and loves her teachers (in particular AP Chemistry, AP History, Year Book and Tennis). Nothing is more important to a parent than this balance in education--excellent teachers, administrators, students, program/curriculum and the school grounds are looking so, so good. Way to go SMHS--go Royals. Cheers for the principal, Mr. Behrens and the AAPLE director, Mr. Nielson.

Posted November 15, 2012
I graduated from San Marcos High School and I have to say my experience was amazing. Great campus, teachers, and classes. San Marcos was a great medium. It didn't have the pompous feel of DP and the less than adequate curriculum of SB.

Posted January 23, 2012
Awesome school. Fantastic staff. The block schedule really prepares students for college. Their test scores are improving every year.

Posted November 25, 2009
The block schedule is completely unique in that it really helps prepare you for college, and in my opinion really gives you more time to focus on your class. Instead of having to focus on up to 8 different classes, you can just focus on maybe 3 academics, which really helps in understanding the material. It's also nice, because you can get your homework done in class most of the time, meaning if you have any questions you can get them directly answered by teachers. The school also has a nationally recognized Band program, which went on to play at the Orange bowl last year. Last but not least, we are a CA distinguished school, and we have award winning teachers. We also have the highest test scores out of the three Santa barbara Public high schools.

San Marcos Senior High School 0

Posted October 19, 2009
It's not cliquey, it is very open and relaxed. The education is great, and very specific and the teachers are qualified.

San Marcos Senior High School 2

Posted October 18, 2009
My daughter who is currently attending San Marcos often comes home in tears because the girls there are so mean. The block schedule doesn't help either. She never has homework which seems so unproductive to me. At semester she is transfering to Dos Pueblos which I've heard is the best public high school in Santa Barbara county

Posted February 17, 2009

Posted August 07, 2008
I'm a past student and I absolutely loved San Marcos. I took advantage of almost every program they offered- Mock Trial, Varsity Sports, clubs, music, theatre, AP classes- and it was wonderful preparation for college and grad school. I went to UCLA, graduated with honors, and felt very prepared for everything that I encountered. I love the block schedule- it is much more like real life- and the teachers and counselors were incredibly supportive from the moment I stepped on the campus. They have award winning teachers as well. They have a nationally recognized music and theatre arts program, and I was lucky enough to be able to travel both nationally and internationally as a result. School spirit is high, and the vast majority of the students go on to either 2 or 4 year colleges. Most students in the honors track attend prestigious top 50 schools across the nation.

San Marcos Senior High School
4750 Hollister Avenue, Santa Barbara, CA  93110
Last modified San Marcos Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
San Marcos Senior High School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 20 reviews.