Santa Clara, CA

Posted June 02, 2014
My kids have been in the school since it opened 8 years ago so we have gone through both the elementary and middle schools. Fantastic teachers along the way. They have had many opportunities to connect with teachers and create a sense of community they would not have had in a bigger school. Their individual test scores and academic achievements have been stellar. We don't worry about the school test scores as a group. There are too many variables which contribute to high and low scoring. We all embrace and appreciate the socioeconomic and ethnic diversity. Music and arts program could use attention.

Posted February 08, 2014
I've been going to this school since it opened, and it's my last year at DC. Although I will admit that it's not perfect, it is not as bad as others are making it out to be! If you are judging a school based on test scores and certain students' behavior, I can't try to change your opinion. But I can tell you that not every kid at school is a good test taker, and not every kid acts like a saint every second of the school day! Especially at our age, parents, peers, and other adults can't expect perfect, smiling students in class every morning. Everyone slips up, and you can't blame that on Don Callejon alone. So for those who don't like the middle school because of rumors they've heard, I will tell you, it's going to be like that at every middle school you go to, and will only get worse in high school. If anything, this diverse school prepares kids for the real world more than any charter or private school.

Posted October 01, 2013
I have 4 boys attending DCS from K to middle school. The teachers are great, they actually care about their students and teaching. They communicate with you. We as parents have to be involved in our kids education, and ask questions or any concerns you may have, and reach out to teachers. They are great at getting back to you with and will address them as need be. Glad to see the API score go up..

Don Callejon School 1

Posted September 04, 2013
This school is full of politics and egos of few people...... Most of the kids once their parents realize how bad their standard is move to the Magnolia Charter School or move to private schools...

Don Callejon School 5

Posted August 30, 2013
Glad to see the API score go up. As much as Hans Barber is missed, we welcome Ms. Martinez and the strong educational background she brings to DCS. Go Cubs!

Posted August 29, 2013
Great news to see the API go up .It is a very good school with very modern facilities and excellent teachers.Hoping to see the middle school score go up too. It will happen when we believe in the teachers at middle school level and encourage our kids to excel in academics .If the entire fifth grade move up the middle school this is bound to happen.Why move kids somewhere else when you have great school in your community.

Posted August 29, 2013
I have seen the good and bad in this school and have read some of the negative opinions on the school and I think they are valid if you focused on the academics of middle school which are lacking. You can look at the breakdown of the scores. For some students and parents which aren't concerned about it, it works out fine but for some parents and students, alternatives such as charter or private schools fulfilled their needs better.

Posted March 05, 2013
Okay school. The facilities are good, but bullying is a problem here and needs to be prevented.

Don Callejon School 5

Posted January 30, 2013
After thirty years of teaching experience, I'm glad that I landed at Don Callejon! This K-12 school is a real community with teachers and staff at all levels working together to ensure the best possible education for a diverse group of students. Many of the upper and lower grades form partnerships work together four or five times a year. Administration strives to create positive atmosphere where both safety and success are emphasized. Teachers make themselves available to help students during lunches and after school. We provide enrichment with leadership, yearbook, orchestra, drama club, Odyssey of the Mind, Spanish, karate, Chess Club, and Reading Circles. Children at Callejon also benefit from having a very active parent and community support group that pays for such things as arts education, field trips, software licensing, video licensing, technology for the classrooms, and extra staff to monitor recess play. I am very proud to wear my Callejon Cubs staff t-shirt!

Posted January 29, 2013
Don Callejon is far from Perfect. The Elementary classes are pretty good, on par with other Santa Clara elementary schools. (Which are all pretty good) However, the big downside to this school are the middle school grades. Students are disrespectful, and many of the teachers don't seem to care. Issues of bullying are ignored by the administrative staff which seems to lack the courage to do what needs to be done. If you have a choice in Middle Schools, I suggest you look to Buchser. (Cabrillo and Peterson are also better alternatives.) Please note, I have experience working at each of these schools.

Don Callejon School
4176 Lick Mill Boulevard, Santa Clara, CA  95054
Last modified Don Callejon School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Don Callejon School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 366 reviews. Top