Bad
Good

Briarwood Elementary School 2

Posted February 27, 2014
My child got moved to Mrs. Kumer's combo class of kinder and first in 2009. She was the best teacher I ever met in that school. My child loved to go to school because of her. She developed the love for learning with Mrs. Kumer. The best thing I liked about her was the balance she maintained between studies and extra curricular. That year we went to the most number of field trips. The homework that she assigned challenged the kids to explore their Math and English syllabus further. Mrs. Kumer is the best teacher in Briarwood Elementary School.

Posted April 09, 2013
My son used to go to a private school in Santa Clara till they decided to move to San Jose. I was a little wary of the ratings but decided to try it. I think it was the best move. The teachers are great. The principal is excellent. Works very hard. The school is giving a lot of opportunities for parent involvement. My kid is have a good time, learning a lot and even more than if he was at the old private school. I like the way they teach basic concepts which seem to give them a solid foundation. They let the kids think in coming up with various solutions. I only feel that we should have decided to try this a lot earlier.

Briarwood Elementary School 1

Posted December 16, 2010
The front desk woman is the RUDEST person I have ever dealt with in my entire life. Since day 1 when I went there to sign up my daughter, the secritary has treated me (and my 5 year old daughter!!) like we are absolutely nothing and only speaks to us with disrespect and disgust. This continues everytime I go to the office to ask even the simplest of questions regarding my daughter and her education. I cannot communicate with anyone in that office without the secritary making some sort of negative and rude remark. Another issue i've had is with my daughters education itself. She has 2 teachers that rotate so there is never a clear schedule for the kids. One teacher tells me my daughter is doing great, and the other one tells me she is having issues. What?! How is it that 2 teachers in the same class with the same kid, have two totally different opinions? This has happened 3 times since the school year has begun. I have asked to have a meeting with both teachers at the same time so that it is clear to us on what the issues really are. This is always getting put off and has still yet to take place. I have left messages for the principal to get a meeting with her. No response.

Posted September 13, 2010
Our son is in 5th grade and it's his second year in this school. We've transferred here from Cupertino and we're so happy with the school! Even though Briarwood on average does not do as well on test scores as Cupertino schools do, it has a much better environment in the school. The test scores could be more related to a greater diversity rather than the teaching quality. The staff is very caring and is really trying to help all children to succeed. The teachers are excellent! There is music program and a lot of other activities. This school has helped our son to become much more self confident and happy child. What would you do with great test scores without this?

Briarwood Elementary School 4

Posted June 29, 2010
Our first kid attended Ms. Langs' kindergarten class. We do not have enough experience with other teachers at Briarwood and at nearby elementary schools to compare and contrast; however, we were extremely happy with the teaching approach, the caring, and the dedication that Ms. Langs had provided to all the kids in the class. She exposed them to a variety of topics including geography and science. She gave them many hands-on lessons such as making paper mache animals, incubating and hatching chicken and duck eggs, and going on field trips to a local farm and a local museum. Not all of the twenty kids were on the same reading, writing, and math levels, so she customized different lesson plans and homework for the different levels. Many of the parents were very active in helping her on field trips and with making the classroom environment better.

Briarwood Elementary School

Posted May 18, 2009
Great School very organized and disciplined a great place for learning. This is a good neighborhood school. Nice environment for the kids and a park next door. The parents made my children and myself feel so welcome. We are able to just walk to school. There is a prekindergarten on site so we just transferred the kids into the school . I understand that the test scores are beginning to rise at Briarwood Elementary, Cabrillo Middle School , and Wilcox High School. I like the disciplined,quiet, respectful atmosphere.

Posted October 11, 2008

Briarwood Elementary School 4

Posted August 31, 2006
I really enjoy taking my son to this school, the Teachers my son has had are top notch. We really love this school, the principal know the children by name, and visits there classes often. There are many programs for children who might have difficulty, and there make sure every child is in the best class for them. The teacher we had took personal interest in each child, and worked very hard to make sure every child met or exceeded their goals. The administrative staff is very kind and helpful, and they also know every child. This school is like a small town school in a large sized city. The really only thing lacking is the parent involvement, and that is not the schools fault. Also the fun activities they have are great, October fest is a fun fair and we loved participating. It's a great school.

Posted January 12, 2006
The school is academically great. However, parent & teacher participation in PTA is dismal. Parent participation in assisting events is awful. We have to get volunteers from the local High Schools to get needed volunteers for events.

Briarwood Elementary School 3

Posted June 21, 2005
I found that Briarwood school had pretty good academic programs. I really think it was just my son's teacher that was great. He was in kindergarten and was taught by Miss Langs. She was awesome with him! Even though she had many ESL students and my son was a 'high' student, she still took the time to work with him and keep him challenged. I found the music, art, P.E. programs (which did not exist) a complete disappointment. His regular teacher took on all these responsibilities when I would have preffered him to experience other teachers who speacialize in these areas. There is hardly any parent involvement. Along with one other mom, I was the only one who volunteered all year! It was an okay school but do not recomend unless you have Miss Langs!

Briarwood Elementary School
1930 Townsend Avenue, Santa Clara, CA  95051-2203
Last modified Briarwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.