Kathryn Hughes Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 456 students

Our school is known for being innovators in the use of technology.

Living in Santa Clara

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $450,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,890.

Posted April 19, 2014

We are thankful. My kid is happy and learn new knowledge everyday. PTA is active, boyscout is wonderful. Teachers care a lot. The after school program is very convenience for working parents. We hope school has GATE and some music ( piano/violin ) program.

Posted April 16, 2014

My kids went here since pre school, i would say this school is very convenient for us. Very clean and the teachers are awesome. They really keep in touch with the parents especially when you have concerns. They update us to all activities and progress of my kids. There are very helpful to my needs of my kids at school. Now they have a lot of activites for the kids which is good, because the kids is having confident and more vocals to what they want. The principal is cool and awesome very dedicated to each students. We love kathryn hughes. Very responsible for everything and safe!!!

Posted April 8, 2014

Kathryn Hughes Elementary is a great school. They have very good, knowledgable, and caring teachers. They have great technology in the classroom: smartboards in every class and soon tablets for all the students... thanks to a partnership with Altera. Mr. Ricardo the school custodian is awesome and super friendly (reminds me of Gus, the custodian when I went to Hughes many many years ago). The Front Office staff is friendly, professional, and extremely helpful. There is a new principal, Ms Miranda. She had BIG shoes to fill with replacing Mr Keegan but she is proving to be a GREAT addition and asset to Hughes. Ms Miranda seems to genuinely care for and love her students. She is focused on education, community and parent involvement. Continuing partnerships with nearby technogy companies like Altera to get our students and teachers access to cutting edge technology typically not seen in a Public school. Reaching out to parents to be active and involved, the best schools have high parent participation. I particulary liked "College Day", shows me that she is focused on our kids future beyond just elementary and preparing them for a bright future. Go Hammerheads!

Posted April 8, 2014

My two kids love their school, and so do us parents. They are so proud of their school that they would talk to all their friends about the dedicated teachers, the new respectful principle, and this year, the Cub Scout! Yes, our school has cub scout meeting where boys meet three times every month on Friday. Thanks to the parents who volunteer and dedicate that boys learn the most precious skills while having fun which will benifit them whole life!

Posted April 8, 2014

Hughes Elementary is a great school. Our new principal has big shoes to fill but has been doing a nice job. She believes in parent education and talking to our kids about college. She wants to do what's right for our students. She works well with our PTA. She has gotten many bikes donated for students this year. She is trying to get a cover for our outside lunch area so our students don't get pooped on and a new digital sign for the front of our school with our proper logo on it. I don't agree with a previous comment about a bias towards the Spanish speaking parents. That's absurd! It's sad to me why anyone would feel threatened by her trying to make them feel included. Overall, a nice community with caring teachers, staff and principal.

Posted April 8, 2014

The school in general is a great school.All my three kids started to this school. With new technology in place, the students are well advanced than students from other school in the district. The teachers are very much involved with the kids and very nurturing I wish that the school district would spend some more money to expand the school, fund music program and other school activities. One less star for the new principal She is not involve as much ad she supposed to be. If her predecessor is still there, I would give a five star. Kudos to Ms Durand, Mrs Tang, Mrs Vazquez, Ms Katzen, Mrs Williamson sndMs.Allan. .

Posted April 7, 2014

Kathryn Hughes Elementary School is best place. My daughter enjoys the school. Teachers are focused on student study and their inclusive growth. This school has very good study atmosphere for students. This school is gem. Following teachers are great and helpful. Miss Katzon , Miss Lopes-coe, Miss Norht & Miss Tan

Posted October 31, 2013

My kids have been attending Hughes since kindergarten 4 years ago. And we've always loved the school, until recently. There seems to be a general consensus among involved parents that the new principal is completely unknowledgeable and proving to be an ineffective leader. She is isolating her involved parents by showing an extreme bias for her Spanish speaking families, which is ridiculous because an overwhelming majority of the families don't speak Spanish! Losing love for this school fast.

Posted July 30, 2013

I have 3 grandchildren. The youngest will start the 4th grade 2013-2014. I am so glad my daughter moved very close to Kathryn Hughes middle school. My grandson was very sad that Mr. Keegan left the school. Mr. Keegan sure knows how to run a school. Others should not "Think" about this school, but join. The other 2 now are attending Buchser middle school. Went through all 5 grades at Hughes elementary school. Have no concerns about Hughes school.

Posted July 29, 2013

Congratulation Hughes, API= 836 This school is great, and Mr. Keegan is an excellent principal. It is so sad that he has to go to other school.

Posted May 15, 2013

This school is good, but only bad thing is like there no guarantee to get it back in the next day If student forget anything. It happened couple of times for my kid.

Posted May 14, 2013

Lots of problem at this school. If your child is behind, your child will be left behind.

Posted October 1, 2012

I love Kathryn Hughes elemenatary because they really strive for excellance! And I find that they have excellent programs to support children excel not only in the classroom but in the real world! I also would like to mention that the principal Mr. Keegan is an excellant principal that loves what he does and it shows! And the children seem to admire him and respect him for all he does! Keep up the great work Kathryn Hughes!!! #true dedication!

Posted June 12, 2012

Hughes Elementary is a school to be involved with or have your children attend if there are in the local area. I have had my oldest daughter attend Hughes since first grade. Over the years, I have seen how the Administrative Staff, teachers and principal work closely together to utilize the resources available to them (even through the most recent challenging times). I am very happy about their YMCA After School program, all options for preschool available, Playworks and Leadership Opportunities with their Sports, Cheer and Student Council they have. I am also proud to say that thanks to the Niners and local large corporation(s), Hughes has received grants and support of technology and other opportunities that other public elementary schools in the district may not have access to or that these children would not have access to otherwise. The childrens' test scores continue to go up with the efforts of teachers and motivation of parents and faculty. I would like to continue to see the parents and community involvement to continue to beautify the school and $upport in every way they can with fundraising and volunteer opportunities.

Posted September 6, 2011

I am happy to have my son attend this school they recognize how well my son reads and is good at math the teachers are great and my son loves this school! ;)

Posted August 28, 2011

Friendly ,open and make learning fun to kids.. my 2 kids had a great time last year..I feel it`ll be the same , or even better this year.. excellent teachers and strong school leadership...main thing can see in it..

Posted August 16, 2011

A school with brighter future.. Altough Kathryn huges have a score of lower 700s when my kids initially joined, i see the techers and principle are all very responsive and take care of the kids very seriously. I have confidence this school will soon join the high 800s in score and maybe reach 900 if thing turns well. The only thing that concerns me is the higher number of students per class due to the limiated space avaialbe and goverment budget cut. I hate to see that the school have to let go nice teachers. What a shame the US goverment is funding oversea endless battles but have to leave students and teachers out of school. Overall, i have confidence that Kathryn Hughes will be a new start in the forsee future.

Posted July 27, 2011

Kathryn Hughes is an excellent school, from the admin staff at the front desk especially Mrs Wilson to the dedicated teachers, and the very committed and energetic principal Mr Keegan. We relocated from Europe in July 2010, Kathryn Hughes became our local school. Both I and my husband not to mention my two children were very anxious about the whole move but most of all about switching to a totally different school system. We need not have worried as the teachers and staff at Kathryn Hughes made the transition for both my children a very pleasant one. Both children had excellent teachers in the 2nd and 5th Grades and the progress we saw in both was exceptional by end of year. Both my children made great friends as the children are very friendly and went out of their way to make the new kids feel welcomed. There is a great balance between strong academics and social/sporting activities, which only contributes to preparing well balanced children who confidently move on to their next steps. So well done and thank you Kathryn Hughes, may you continue to grow and prosper as well you deserve.

Posted April 30, 2011

This is an amazing school. Great principal ,great teachers and great administrative staff. I have my 2 kids here, a 5th grader and 1st grader, they've been here for last 2 yrs and I have not had any problem. Infact both my kids are doing great. The teachers work very hard with the kids to help them in any kind of way. Whenever I come to the school, I always see Mr Keegan(Principal) walking on the corridors to check on the students. He is doing a great job and trying hard to get more and more new programs for the school. The scores of the school have gone up and I am sure we will soon be in the 900 API. Though I think the parent involvement in this school has to increase a little bit more then this will 'The Best' school. I would recommend this school to every parent. All the best

Posted February 23, 2011

Kathryn Hughes Elementary has very strong leadership. Principal is driving change, rise in API in 2010, is big leap and demonstrates great team work and commitment towards excellence.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

8 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

8 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students73%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Computer specialist(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Librarian/media specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Vietnamese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 2:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Marcela Miranda
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (408) 423-1580

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• STEM
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Chinese (Mandarin)
  • Spanish
  • Vietnamese
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Girl scouts
  • Student council/government

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Visit

Elementary school

How to apply

Does this school have an application or enrollment process?

Planning Ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Buchser Middle School