Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted August 04, 2015
Strong teachers at this school. Know how to teach, and manage student and classroom environment. Most of all, they care for our kids and make sure they are happy.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted August 04, 2015
The school provides awards to ALL students. Everyone feels a sense of accomplishment and feel good about being a student at Hughes. It's important to recognize kids and their daily efforts!

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted August 04, 2015
The school has a zero tolerance for bullying. My child has experienced this in the earlier grades and the teacher, ymca director handled it very well that it did not have to reach/concern the principal. Teacher was fair, and addressed my needs as well as helped out the other student/family.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 04, 2015
My kids come home telling me stories and experiences at school. It appears that teachers are enforcing honesty and fairness daily. I like that when problems arise, it's quickly resolved.

Posted August 04, 2015
Ratings do not truly reflect what Hughes is as an 'overall' school. Exceptional teachers, principal and staff. Great PTA members, and strong community presence. I feel my kids are in a safe environment where they are continuously learning, participating, and happy. Thumbs up for Technology on campus and YMCA! This school deserves a 8-9 rating!!

Posted January 08, 2015
This school is excellent , Im sure the API score is going to go way higher as I see lot of Asian & indian kids inflow(the usual driver of scores) . Being an Asian my self i push my kid a lot on studies, this school works for me great as the curriculum is clearly structured and the kinder garden teacher is very helpful in following up my kids progress in studies. More emphasis is given to creativity here and structured learning . On family get together we usually have competition within our kids where adults ask questions on science , math etc ... to grade our kids :) My other 3rd grader who has been in this school since kinder garden is as equally progressed similar to his private school counterparts in my relatives who has been through challenger and stratford. Im sure the API is going to skyrocket to 900+ pretty soon. Good luck.

Posted April 19, 2014
We are thankful. My kid is happy and learn new knowledge everyday. PTA is active, boyscout is wonderful. Teachers care a lot. The after school program is very convenience for working parents. We hope school has GATE and some music ( piano/violin ) program.

Kathryn Hughes Elementary School 4

Posted April 16, 2014
My kids went here since pre school, i would say this school is very convenient for us. Very clean and the teachers are awesome. They really keep in touch with the parents especially when you have concerns. They update us to all activities and progress of my kids. There are very helpful to my needs of my kids at school. Now they have a lot of activites for the kids which is good, because the kids is having confident and more vocals to what they want. The principal is cool and awesome very dedicated to each students. We love kathryn hughes. Very responsible for everything and safe!!!

Posted April 08, 2014
Kathryn Hughes Elementary is a great school. They have very good, knowledgable, and caring teachers. They have great technology in the classroom: smartboards in every class and soon tablets for all the students... thanks to a partnership with Altera. Mr. Ricardo the school custodian is awesome and super friendly (reminds me of Gus, the custodian when I went to Hughes many many years ago). The Front Office staff is friendly, professional, and extremely helpful. There is a new principal, Ms Miranda. She had BIG shoes to fill with replacing Mr Keegan but she is proving to be a GREAT addition and asset to Hughes. Ms Miranda seems to genuinely care for and love her students. She is focused on education, community and parent involvement. Continuing partnerships with nearby technogy companies like Altera to get our students and teachers access to cutting edge technology typically not seen in a Public school. Reaching out to parents to be active and involved, the best schools have high parent participation. I particulary liked "College Day", shows me that she is focused on our kids future beyond just elementary and preparing them for a bright future. Go Hammerheads!

Posted April 08, 2014
My two kids love their school, and so do us parents. They are so proud of their school that they would talk to all their friends about the dedicated teachers, the new respectful principle, and this year, the Cub Scout! Yes, our school has cub scout meeting where boys meet three times every month on Friday. Thanks to the parents who volunteer and dedicate that boys learn the most precious skills while having fun which will benifit them whole life!

4949 Calle De Escuela, Santa Clara, CA  95054
Last modified Kathryn Hughes Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.