Santa Clara, CA

Laurelwood Elementary School 2

Posted June 23, 2014
While Laurelwood may have high API Scores (for whatever they are worth these days), it lacks alot in terms of the quality of education. The school itself and classrooms are overcrowded with 30 students to 1 teacher. The school was designed for 350 children. There are 700+ on campus now without adequate play ground equipment or supervision. There are some wonderful teacher's, and there are more ineffective teacher's. Too many teacher's use yelling or shaming to try and control the students. There is very little professional development for the teacher's; and many seemed burned out and disengaged from the children. There is almost no emotional/social training taking place in class or on the play ground. The Principal is much more interested in "following the letter of the law" and gaining technology, than in creating a positive, safe, innovative learning environment. Parents are moderately welcome on campus and on PTA but, really, only if they are willing to work to maintain the status quo. Sadly, the qualitative measures of education are not a priority and the school isn't interested in becoming innovative or creative. It's been a very sad experience for our student.

Posted April 21, 2014
My daughter goes to laurel wood from last two years. Amazing school and teachers are great. All I want to say 'Go laurelwood'.

Laurelwood Elementary School 4

Posted November 08, 2012
I agree with the other reviewer that the playground and structures need a lot of improvement. The comment about A/C is also appropriate. Having seen a few other school in this area, though, this one looks on the better side. May be because of funding issues or whatever, many schools look like dump-yards now a days. Poor public infrastructure and maintenance seems common in a lot of cities in south bay. Still I have given the school 4 stars, why? Because my son goes there and loves it. His teacher is nice. API scores are good. Kids are well behaved and there is no bullying that I know of. There are quite a few extra-curricular programs. I wish it were better but given other schools in the area, I am quite happy with what we have.

Laurelwood Elementary School 1

Posted June 15, 2012
I am surprised someone said the classrooms and playground are not dilapidated. Maybe it is not dilapidated from the standards in some very poor countries. I am also surprised that someone said that there was a cafeteria for all students. I went there many times during lunch time and every single time the students were eating outside. Just ask any one of the kids and you will know the answers. I know my facts before I go on this forum. I would just recommend that we turn off the air conditioning in the administrators' office for a day, would they be dying to restore the air conditioning in the office RIGHT AWAY? Then why only the kids have NO AIR CONDITIONING IN THEIR CLASSROOMS??????
2 people found this helpful

Posted June 15, 2012
The school was remodeled only a few years ago, the classrooms are clean and not dilapidated. Our Cafeteria is for all Kinder through 5th, and holds all our assemblies nicely! The Teachers and staff are caring and wonderful instructors. All you have to do is look at the schools API to see how well the school is instructing our children. I believe the bad rating is from someone who has never been to our school. Not sure where they are getting their information for all their wrong information!

Laurelwood Elementary School 1

Posted June 15, 2012
This school is like a trailer park. Every structure is dilapidated. No air conditioning in any classroom. But the air conditioning in the administrators' office is running even on weekends (based on my and several other parents' observations). No cafeteria for students from first grade to the fifth grade. That means: almost all students have to sit outside beside the playground, shivering in winter and spring and being scorched in summer and the fall. If you expect the administrators there to guard the best interests of the students, perish your thoughts. Getting the very basics, such as air conditioning and cafeteria, is like luxury for all Laurelwood students. Comfort is only for the administrators. I won't be surprised to see some students get heat strokes. I am more concerned about tree branches falling on the kids when they are eating lunches under the big trees. Don't expect anything from the administrators. Nothing will be done to protect the interests of the students.

Posted February 06, 2012
We have 5 children, 4 of which have either been through Laurelwood or are still enrolled. We have seen quite a few changes in the school over the last 8 years, since our first child attended. He is now a junior in high school. Needless to say, I know a little about Laurelwood. While it is only my opinion, I try to be objective and fair. The teaching has been phenomenal, the office staff is consistent, thorough, firm and yet caring (Patti and Philomena are the best). The teachers very are caring for each student. Yes, we have had to resolve some issues over the years, as no school is perfect, but communication with the staff is key. Everything has always worked out, with the best being for the kids...as it should always be. I have 2 children (1st and 5th) that are currently at Laurelwood and completely trust the staff with the well being of my most prized possession...my children. They are balanced and independent, yet respectful (for the most part :-)). Parental participation, while not required, is key to the our children's success. That being said, this school has a lot of parents that are more than happy to be a part of this great school. My youngest child will be going there.

Posted September 13, 2011
I Just finished 5th grade at Laurelwood, and I love the school! I have been to other schools, but this one is the best. some of the teachers do not give much homework, but a lot of them do and its fun! they have fun events, award ceramonies where every student gets admired! overall I loved my 3 years at Laurelwood! It is the best school ever, no matter what others say!!!

Posted September 29, 2010
A great school with challenging academic programs and balance in other areas. Though class capacity has increased this year from 20-32/34 (in some cases) it will be hard for teacher to focus on kids. Parents involvement is needed to make this a successful year. Teachers are hard-working and friendly with kids and parents.

Posted September 13, 2010
A great school. Laurelwood is strong academically but also allows kids to be kids. In order to have a great experience for your family, I recommend parents become involved in the classroom and/or at the many extracurricular activities offered through the PTA. When kids know you care about their school, they care, too. Plus nothing beats that beaming face when a child sees mom or dad contributing to this wonderful school. I have found the principal to be supportive, encouraging and willing to listen to my concerns.

Laurelwood Elementary School
955 Teal Drive, Santa Clara, CA  95051
Last modified Laurelwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Laurelwood Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top