Westwood Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 473 students

Posted June 9, 2014

My school is Westwood Elementaryl. My son and daughter attend Westwood elementary. I have been very happy with the school and especially the teachers. Mrs. Belvins nutured my daughter who as a result improved in every area including social skills, reading skills, math and science skills. She came at the end of the year with breadth of knowledge and curiosity to learn even more. My son was in Mr. Wichmann's class who is equally a wonderful teacher. Mr. Wichmann helped grow my son's love for knowledge while learning something new every day. He didn't only learn science but more how to be a scientist and a critical thinker. He learned to make questions, to analyze, to seek answers,and to research. I appreciate Westwood and the great teachers of Westwood. Thank you.

Posted January 20, 2014

My son is going there since he was 3 years old for his special classes the teacher is great awesome IEP report everything is there is so much correct that we are expected now my son turns 5 in march and we have to move another school because we move in san jose district but i miss this school teacher adrienne , miss debbie ,micheal and kathy great teachers

Posted August 10, 2013

This is one of the best schools ever. The principal is the most caring and professional principals I have ever known. He has a great way with kids and always uses positive methods to resolve conflicts. The teachers are passionate and involved with each and every kid. Great special ed team. The only negative is the "Queen Bee" the school secretary one of the rudest, demeaning and unfriendly persons at the school. I can sympathize with the demands and irritations of kids and parents but this women needs to retire she does Not FIT IN ANYMORE.. also anyone who writes a bad review of this school is sadly mistaken.

Posted July 17, 2013

I can't to say something good about this school. We had a bad experience here. My child attends this school in 2013 year. I never fill comfortable myself when my child was in the school every day. The teachers doesn't pay attention enough for the children. They are is not friendly also. My child was hungry, dirty, crying almost every day after the school. They never heard the parents. I wrote about special day care class and the office employer.

Posted July 17, 2013

I am shocked for the parent who wrote the last review about Westwood. My Daughter has been going there since Kindergarten and I can't tell you how happy we have been. The staff, teachers are wonderful! I always say if you are not happy then maybe you shouldn't be going there, but all the parents that have kids at Westwood that I know have never said anything bad about our school. Good luck!

Posted June 16, 2013

This is an extremely sought after elementary school. The teachers a responsive and creative! Westwood has great administrative leadership from the principal all the way down. I cannot say enough about Westwood, its a great school any parent should be proud to send their children to.

Posted May 16, 2009

Westwood is a diverse and friendly community.The teachers are wonderful and the new principal is dynamic. There are family events and grade level events all the time. Test scores really don't give a good picture of what a caring and fun environment this is.

Posted March 31, 2009

All of my kids have attended Westwood, so we have been part of the Westwood community for years. The teachers are excellent and the parent involvement is great to see. There are many fun community events like the Fall Festival that even my high school kids want to come back and be a part of!

Posted March 4, 2009

This is the 1st year my child is in a plubic school, and we both love it

Posted January 13, 2009

so far so good...this is our first year and I was worried. The scores also threw me off as well. My daughter is in K, and her teacher has been fantastic. We also have a new co-principle, which I think is going to make a big difference in the school's environment and culture. I also agree with the other parent about the teacher and parent involvement. I think what we do at home, has a huge effect on our children and the students around them.

Posted October 10, 2008

I am very pleased with this school. I was reluctant at first and tried to get my daughter in other neighboring schools due to low API scores. I learned now not to go by that. I believe it depends on the teacher, and how much you do with your child. You could be going to a school rated a 10 in other cities but if you get stuck with a bad teacher, good luck to you, it is comparable to going to a school rated a 1. Her cousin goes to a school that is well rated but they are doing the same curriculum. I'm fortunate enough to have a wonderful first grade teacher who is very very good and does a fantastic job. I help out in class once a week and I'm impressed at how well she controls her students. The teacher is organized & communicates well.

Posted August 14, 2008

My kids have gone to Westwood for the past eight years, and we love it there! The teachers and staff are great, and they have tons of awesome community events like the Fall Festival and the Multi-Cultural Festival! Westwood is a great school with a real sense of community, and I would recommend it to any new family!

Posted February 16, 2008

The school is Great and all who say other wise are wrong, My daughter loves going to school every morning and learns what she needs to, the teachers and great and really care for the students. My Daughter even told me that they dont allow any candy on campus, Im a dental Hygienist and I think thats wonderfull,,

Posted August 31, 2007

Of all the schools my daughter has attended since kindergarten, Westwood is my least favorite. Things were so bad with her teacher last year that I withdrew her, and began homeschooling. This year she has returned to the classroom, because I have to work, So far, my daughter is delighted with her teacher, her classmates, and being back in the classroom. Although the principal is well-meaning, she is often off campus. I believe that leadership is lacking. The school is also faced with growing enrollment and now, they also have 4 classrooms of special needs children. It is a busy place. I just hope my daughter continues to enjoy her class time.

Posted May 12, 2006

Good school with lots of parental involvment.

Posted April 6, 2006

For my two kids westwood has been a roller coaster. The teachers are either really good or really bad and nothing is done about the bad ones...So they keep getting worse! Not the best focus for the kids. Testing scores are going down and the kids arent getting the arts, music and pe that they should.... Pretty sad. I hope middle school is much better!

Posted March 9, 2006

My son dx with Autism, attends the Special Ed class in Westwood. The classroom, teachers, the teaching method is excellent.

Posted March 30, 2005

My child has attended this elementary school for the last three years, she began in Kindergarten and is now in the second grade. I love our school and am hoping to find a similar one in another area. The parents and grandparents of our school or wonderful participants in their child school life. We have field trips and a fun family fall festival every year. The teachers are excellent I have been pleased with them all. The principal is very wonderful as well. With all the reductions in school budgets it is hard to keep the curriculum and extras in but our Westwood family is doing a wonderful job. If ever you move into the area Westwood is a great place if you like to be involved or not with your childs education. I hope to find the same if ever we leave the area.

Posted January 13, 2005

The school seems to be a test school for every new teaching theory. As evidenced by the school's drop in API, it's not working. If your child gets a bad teacher, forget getting any help by the Principal. (One year my child was in a class where the teacher regularly berated the children, told them they weren't smart, and frequently told them to shut up. It was clear that she did not like children.)When going to the Principal, she politely told me my child was a liar and I should talk with the teacher. So I did. And the teacher confirmed that my daughter was telling the truth. Even then the Principal wasn't interested in the well being of the students in that class. But there are some really good teachers too. If your child is lucky enough to get one of them, it's a great place for your child.

Posted January 13, 2005

Westwood is a mixed bag of good and bad for your children. My son and daughter have been there for 5 years (1 - 5, K - 4), and we have found that the quality of education is based on the specific teacher, not the schools educational program. Luckily I would deem the majority of the teachers to be quite good, with many of them outstanding and willing to make the extra effort to work with your child to bring out their specific gifts and strengthen their weaknesses. Conversely, there are some terrible teachers (only a few) and the school is unwilling to give the parents any recourse to move their children from these classes. Of particular strength is the combined 4th/5th grade classes, which has benefited many students who's abilities span their age/grade range.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

3 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

3 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students61%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

435 Saratoga Avenue