Bridgeport Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 1022 students

Posted August 1, 2014

it feels cold just walking in, not sure why staff act so stuck up, bullying is a huge problem here.

Posted May 20, 2014

This school is really a great school, despite what all the helicopter moms are saying below. After all the fuss about the supposedly wonderful new charter school, it's kind of ironic that those who took their children out of BP to enroll in that rather pretentiously named charter school are now trying to return to BP. In all the years my children have been attending BP, I can honestly say all the teachers and staff are wonderful, kind and caring. And my family is far from wealthy, so doesn't even qualify to belong to the so-called clique that I've seen mentioned. Don't believe the disgruntled charter school parents - Bridgeport is a wonderful school!

Posted May 20, 2014

My kids currently attend Bridgeport and love it! It is a wonderful school with fabulous teachers. The office staff is helpful, kind, and professional. The administration is busy, but always there to listen if you need them. We couldn't be happier as parents, and are blessed to be receiving this type of education for free. My only desire as a parent would be for the school to hire PE teachers. Unfortunately, I don't think the money is there to hire them.

Posted April 2, 2014

All teachers are energetic and passionate all my family love this school. Especially for immigrant family, they provide good ESL program for our son. We are happy as he could catch up with the class.

Posted January 28, 2014

My rating is due to the way I have been treated by the office staff as well as the teaching performance of my children's teachers. In my experience the office staff is judgmental and rude and acts as if I am bothering them whenever I have a question. I am to the point where I dread having to even talk with any of the office staff. I have expressed my concerns about several things to the principal and to the superintendent and none of my concerns have been addressed and most concerns are not even responded to. It has been a very frustrating experience as a parent of a child in this school. there are a couple of office staff that are friendly but most of them act as if I am bothering them and are more interested in judging my parenting then being helpful. As for my children's teachers I feel they do not challenge my kids enough and are more interested in developing friendships with them then challenging their academic needs. This school has been a major disappointment and I am looking into other schools for my children.

Posted November 23, 2013

All three of my children attended this school. We couldn't have asked for a more wonderful experience. The teachers were caring, knowledgable, and hard-working. Because of Bridgeport, my children are now lifetime learners and thirsty for knowledge. After reading the next few reviews below, I have a feeling that they are disgruntled Charter School parents that all got together one night to bash an amazing school! Shame on you! You have no idea what a bad school is until you've sent your child to a school in LAUSD.

Posted September 9, 2013

Bridgeport Elementary is a great school! Besides the awesome staff and wonderful PTA, there is a great feeling of community. It's nice to see so many parent volunteers helping out in the class. I feel students are getting a top notch education!

Posted August 23, 2013

It is scary and very disappointing to find out that Bridgeport Elem is been run by such a group of teachers and administrators. If you don't belong in their click or group , then you better . This school does not deserve the reputation that it has. Neit They are not interested in the success of the students The teachers have no motivation. The curriculum is watered down. Very unprofessional and rude office staff. (Don't get fooled by their pretentious smile. They are not honest. They play games which they cover up pretty good. The school's bathrooms are not maintained. lunch tables and area is left messy too often. They usually would clean up when an inspector is coming.. Most of the good teachers are gone. Those who are left (except for a few) are mostly friends with the principal or some other administrators. They have no field so they share with the park. Safety. Is a concern

Posted August 20, 2013

My kids had been attending Bridgeport for a few years. The Principle and the office ladies have attitude issues. Teachers are lax and lazy, making your kids grade their homework. Some don't even grade homework, so what is the point of turning it in. Yard duties are mean, and kids are mean. You would wonder why they have high STAR scores?The answer is most of the Bridgeport moms can afford to stay home, teaching their kids with school work and studies.They help the kids more than the teachers. Also, there are a lot of dramas at Bridgeport. Like other reviews said, its all about money. The PTA just cares about how much you donate,but never use money wisely. My kids had been having walking field trips to supermarkets in hot summer days. What can they learn at a supermarket or pizza restaurant? I'm sure most of us moms take our kids to supermarkets for grocery shopping many many times already. Also, this school is about relationship. If you are a PTA staff or you donate a lot or you have a good relationship with the teachers or principle, then your kids will be placed with a good teacher. The school is Superficial.That's why I pulled my kids out.

Posted August 13, 2013

I wanted to like the school, I really did. But I never warmed to it. The building and grounds are cute and the parents are "pretty," but that's all superficial. My kids didn't seem to learn much, and it always seemed to me that the school was more focused on presenting beautifully-matted art work at Open House than actually inspiring the kids to learn. We had one inspiring teacher out of the 8 we had; the rest just went through the motions. Lots of busy work, lots of pointless homework, and lots of bored kids. There is lots of parent involvement, but I didn't see that as a good thing because they aren't just helping prepare materials, they are actually in the classroom teaching unsupervised. It was really weird to me. Kids can also skip recess to go into another classroom to grade papers or tear out worksheets, and they get "paid" with candy. All without parents knowing. Safety is also a concern at Bridgeport. Anybody can walk in and around the campus, and the kids play in the park during recess (which is not school grounds nor is it fenced in). Again, I really wanted to like it--it's a cute place, but after 3 years, we are outta there!!

Posted August 8, 2013

This school is overrated, they teach to pass the start test!! The staff is not friendly! They care only about $$$$$ to enter the principal's club! It is crowded and some of the teachers are old and mean! It's all about the star testing and $$$$$$$! Glad my kid is out of there!

Posted August 2, 2013

I was so happy to be enrolling my kids into a 10 school. But now, a few years later I have been looking for ways to get them into a better school. This school seems to only care about STAR testing scores. The teachers are lazy and really need their performances reviewed more, if at all. I am not a believer of tenure when it comes to teachers. I believe in performance and a love of teaching. Last year both my kids seemed to watch way too many tv shows in their classes and both were bored and not even close to being challenged. Seriously Bridgeport, you really need a total re-evaluation of all your staff and curriculum including where all the funding dollars go. If the new charter school opening this fall got over 1000 sign ups then shouldn't you look into what they're doing right? And how and what they teach? It's no wonder my kids always complain about how boring school is. They're not learning enough.

Posted July 15, 2013

We feel so fortunate that our children are able to attend Bridgeport! Our children have received a wonderful education! The PTA is very dedicated and works hard to provide great programs for our kids.

Posted July 9, 2013

I'll start with the fact that we moved to Valencia from SFV in order to find better school for our children. Imagine how excited I was when we bought a house that was going to Bridgeport. Gorgeous new school building, very friendly ladies at the front office, that promise you, that you got into the best school in the area... A dream came true... Well, the dream was over when I met one of my kid's teacher and on all 3 questions I asked , she answered " You bet". I knew there's no good ahead.... The year my kids spent at Bridgeport was a loss of year IMO. They learned everything from the books, no interesting projects, no science lab, nothings like hands on. The teachers don't care at all about how the kids are doing. They are there to teach for the STAR testing and there it ends. Yard duties are not really nice. There are lots of mean kids from "wanna be rich" families, and the teachers are doing nothing, because these parents buy very expensive holiday presents. The school has many teacher's kids, principal's and assistant principal's kids in and of course they get better teachers. Oh, and if you donate 1000$ you can be in principal's club. And this part I "like" the most.!

Posted July 4, 2013

When we moved here i thought o how beautiful and it looks like a really nice school... Not the case, the teachers do not give a hoot about the children. If you are not in their little box of what a student looks like or how smart they should be then your child will be a target for them. My child has special needs and was treated like something was wrong with HIM its them!. I also considered another school but change for my son is hard. Will see how this year goes

Posted May 23, 2013

Initially I loved the school. Now that my children have been attending for a combined 8 years, I am liking it less and less. Yes, the academics are satisfactory, however, there is a problem with finding teachers who actually care about their students as human beings. When I think of a teacher, I picture one who is nurturing, caring, and genuinely enjoys his or her job. A true teacher is one who leads by example, building the children up as opposed to breaking them down and being punitive at every possible turn. A true leader is one who is able to think 'outside the box' to get children to learn; not just regurgitate what their teacher's manual says. The teachers we have dealt with at Bridgeport are seriously lacking in this department. There has been only one we truly loved (for all above stated reasons), but unfortunately he is no longer teaching at Bridgeport. The yard duties are considerably less than satisfactory, as well. Things here are so bad that we are enrolling our child who is currently attending (as well as the youngest) into another school next year. It's very sad to see the direction this school is going. It had such potential for excellence.

Posted May 22, 2013

I honestly do not know where all of these positive reviews are coming from! Having two children who attend Bridgeport, I find the disappointment with the staff, teachers and especially the principal, continues to grow each year, so much so, I am now looking into enrolling my children elsewhere. The lack of communication from the school to the parents regarding upcoming school activates is almost non-existent, unless you consider a day or two notice of an event satisfactory. Not only does the school lack communication, they also plan most school events/functions during working hours. I missed my daughter's performance in the school play because it was scheduled for 2:00 p.m. The school has no regard for the parents who must actually work for a living. The staff seems annoyed anytime you ask a question or call in to get information. I have met several times with the principal to discuss some of the above issues, as well as others, it is such a waste of time, talking to her is like talking to a wall, nothing ever changes. Before enrolling your child at Bridgeport, take the time to look at the other schools in the district. Just comparing websites speaks volumes.

Posted March 21, 2013

6 months into kindergarten and my daughter is doing great and loves it. Outstanding principal who is involved. I can't speak for the other grades, but K is awesome!!

Posted April 5, 2012

Our children attended this school until we relocated to MI. We have missed the academic rigor this school offered as well as the focus on health and wellness and cultural diversity. Our children are in a school district labeled "9" and "10" on this site, with top test scores, yet the close-mindedness and general ignorance of the community reigns supreme. We really miss the healthy mentality of this area and the focus on character building at this school. Finally (unless this has changed) we remember that nutrition was stressed at Bridgeport, and candy/"junk" food was strongly discouraged. Again, in fat-laden MI, anything goes and even the teachers bribe the students with junk!! If you are considering this school/district, go for it. We miss leaving this area every day.

Posted May 19, 2011

We moved out of state and can now compare schools...All I can say is there is no perfect school. But Bridgeport has a lot going for the kids: a strong Principal, caring teachers and office staff, great PTA and lots of after school activities. If you are one of the parents who hate the state testing, just know that if your child is not in the "Advanced" level, don't even start dreaming of competitive colleges. Various States purposely lowered their tests/standards so they can get federal funding. Even kids know this. By 5th/grade, they knew that STAR tests are a joke.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

173 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

175 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

158 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

160 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students83%