Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I very much enjoy going to Rio Norte Jr. High. I am currently in 8th grade, and all of my Rio teachers, past and present, have been wonderful. Some teachers may be a bit peculiar, but I must say that none of them has ever wronged me. I received a 4.0 for all quarters last year, and in my opinion, I believe I will be receiving all 4.0s again. The staff there are pleasant and familiar, and I see no reason to say that they are cold and unfriendly (unless of course you upset them in some way). I have even seen high school students take a "remembrance" trip to Rio, and hug their old teachers, who always respond with pleasure. I can understand the worries some parents have with bullying, as I would seem to be the type of person to get bullied (thankfully, I do not). Some students can be blunt, rude, or inappropriate, but I believe that is ultimately that parent's fault, for allowing their child to fraternize with bad influences, or failing to enrich their childhood. I have a nice group of friends, and we frequently ask each other questions about schoolwork and have a good time. I do not believe certain students receive preferential treatment here at Rio, as I have stated before, teachers and staff get ticked off when students misbehave. It seems to me that many problems at Rio are caused by the students. Of course, perhaps yard supervisors and staff could do a little better at reining in disobedience, but I also recall many occasions where misbehaving students have been taken care of. The one thing that I think could be slightly improved (and also the one thing that made me take off a star) is the academics. I am currently taking Algebra and Spanish in eighth grade, which are both high-school level classes. I personally feel that the classes are too slow or teach things that I already know. Of course, many other students feel that the classes here are quite enough for them, which is an opinion I respect (but obviously not endorse). After looking at other reviews here, I have one more thing to say: Many of the parent's accounts come directly from the child. The parent has only indirectly experienced Rio (and perhaps from a slightly biased viewpoint). To conclude, my opinion of Rio is high. I really wish I could detract just half of a star instead of one whole star.

Overall, Rio is ok. The reason I rated the school 3 stars was based on several factors: 1. Staff in the office are not friendly; no smile, no "hello, how are you? How can I help you?" etc, etc, etc.....lack any friendly, professional greeting. 2. My daughter has expressed in the first month of school the lack of work she receives. At first, we thought perhaps it was too early in the school year to gauge, but my daughter is done with most of her homework before school is let out on a daily basis. And she finishes her remaining assignments within an hour or so at home. Her GPA is 4.0 and has expressed how bored she is with the class curriculum. 3.Certain students receive preferential treatment at Rio, based on who knows who (parent, staff, etc). 4. Very surprised that Rio does not offer any honor classes for students who excel academically. 5. Parents drop off & pick-up daily is absolutely crazy.There's no system or organization. However, I would like to give the principal, Mr. Perry 5 stars. He is always out front greeting the students very morning...& w/a smile!Good attitude & makes everyone feel welcome!Rio Norte is lucky to have Mr. Perry!

My daughter attended Rio this year and we were extremely UNDERwhelmed. Everyone told us this was a great school and everything was new, but the reality is that there are a few rally good teachers that are overshadowed by the awful ones. There is little done about bullies, and bullying is a huge issue here. My daughter said that someone was expelled for having "you know what" on campus - THIS IS JR HIGH!!! (guidelines say I can't tell you, but let's just say the 60 's and 70's were known for it) We will finish out this year then we are moving to an older Jr High in the valley - I toured the campus, spoke to teachers (many were students there), and spoke to people in the community. From what I see & hear Placerita is the best kept secret in this valley. Want to go where teachers a mediocre at best, and really care nothing about your child? Go to Rio Norte, it will be everything you expect it to be. Wish there was a way to leave ZERO STARS!

This school was an extreme disappointment. I wish I knew more about it before our son started in the school so that we could have found him an alternative option. He has always been a straight A student, especially excelling in math. In the 8th grade in Rio he actually failed math despite spending literally hours on homework every night. His teacher advised against any of the students getting tutors and yet when my son approached her for assistance she announced to the class that she only had a few minutes to provide assistance because she had to "tutor some idiot at 3:00." She constantly screamed at the students and almost the entire class went to summer school. My son went to a private summer school (due to date difficulties) and completed the Algebra class with a 97% grade. He just completed his first year of high school with a 98% final grade.He knows math, this teacher is horrible. Of course I complained and received no response. He had another teacher that just left him to sit and do nothing throughout the class as he was "too busy to assign work to individual students." The responses I got (if any) were bizarre to say the least. Do your child a favor, find another school.

This is the worst Jr High!! The teachers do NOT care about the students. They do not offer help or any postive feedback. They all seem to hate the job and the kids. The bulling problen is out of control and no one cares. Do not send your kids here. I wish you could give no stars

Rio Norte has been a great experience for our family. Wonderful teachers and staff. My son has enjoyed his time at the school.

Best school ever. The principal is very concerned about the students. He is everywhere around the school. The teachers and PTA are awesome!!! The learning level is surely outstanding. My daughter has learned a lot while at Rio Norte. She will miss it a great deal.

Not a very good school. I attended Rio Norte for both 7th and 8th grade. 7th grade was a wonderful year, but when I got to 8th grade, everything fell apart. The office staff were unbelievably unhelpful. I was told by a particular Algebra teacher that "good students never raise their hand". I was also told by an English teacher that my poetry had "too much emotion" to it and I was given an F. I went from a straight A student in 7th grade to a C student in 8th grade. I Look, if you are looking for a "normal", run of the mill school, and if you want your children to recieve nothing more than a "normal" education, I suppose Rio Norte would be the school for your children. Also, if you have any children with learning disabilities, you will go through absolute hell at this school.

Shocked by the lack of assistance by the staff. My son was a straight A student and upon his first year at Rio, went to all C's and one D. The response from the staff, "we are here to educate and grade, nothing more". We have pulled our son out to attend Catholic School. Ida who is the person that terminates the students attendance said we were breaking the law by putting our child in another school without removing him from Rio. The asst principle, Mrs. Dos said that was not true. The school is unorganized and shows the lack of effort to assist our students AND seems to only concentrate on budget cuts. Dont put your children in such a low morale school that will only allow your student to NOT read, write or show proper math skills. I am very disappointed with such a good neighborhood allowing this to take place.

I don't understand all the great scores of this school unless other public schools in California are really bad. Class offerings and tests are good, but that's only half the story. My kid, who is a straight A, endures teachers who don't seem able to control the classroom, administrators who would rather eat snack foods in the office rather than help control those students, extremely poor quality food for lunch, and not nearly enough time for students to eat their lunches. There is lots of room for improvement.

Last modified Rio Norte Junior High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.