Posted April 29, 2014
My daughter attended Rio this year and we were extremely UNDERwhelmed. Everyone told us this was a great school and everything was new, but the reality is that there are a few rally good teachers that are overshadowed by the awful ones. There is little done about bullies, and bullying is a huge issue here. My daughter said that someone was expelled for having "you know what" on campus - THIS IS JR HIGH!!! (guidelines say I can't tell you, but let's just say the 60 's and 70's were known for it) We will finish out this year then we are moving to an older Jr High in the valley - I toured the campus, spoke to teachers (many were students there), and spoke to people in the community. From what I see & hear Placerita is the best kept secret in this valley. Want to go where teachers a mediocre at best, and really care nothing about your child? Go to Rio Norte, it will be everything you expect it to be. Wish there was a way to leave ZERO STARS!

Posted June 03, 2013
This school was an extreme disappointment. I wish I knew more about it before our son started in the school so that we could have found him an alternative option. He has always been a straight A student, especially excelling in math. In the 8th grade in Rio he actually failed math despite spending literally hours on homework every night. His teacher advised against any of the students getting tutors and yet when my son approached her for assistance she announced to the class that she only had a few minutes to provide assistance because she had to "tutor some idiot at 3:00." She constantly screamed at the students and almost the entire class went to summer school. My son went to a private summer school (due to date difficulties) and completed the Algebra class with a 97% grade. He just completed his first year of high school with a 98% final grade.He knows math, this teacher is horrible. Of course I complained and received no response. He had another teacher that just left him to sit and do nothing throughout the class as he was "too busy to assign work to individual students." The responses I got (if any) were bizarre to say the least. Do your child a favor, find another school.

Posted February 20, 2013
This is the worst Jr High!! The teachers do NOT care about the students. They do not offer help or any postive feedback. They all seem to hate the job and the kids. The bulling problen is out of control and no one cares. Do not send your kids here. I wish you could give no stars

Posted February 10, 2013
Rio Norte has been a great experience for our family. Wonderful teachers and staff. My son has enjoyed his time at the school.

Posted February 02, 2013
Best school ever. The principal is very concerned about the students. He is everywhere around the school. The teachers and PTA are awesome!!! The learning level is surely outstanding. My daughter has learned a lot while at Rio Norte. She will miss it a great deal.

Rio Norte Junior High School 3

Posted January 31, 2012
Not a very good school. I attended Rio Norte for both 7th and 8th grade. 7th grade was a wonderful year, but when I got to 8th grade, everything fell apart. The office staff were unbelievably unhelpful. I was told by a particular Algebra teacher that "good students never raise their hand". I was also told by an English teacher that my poetry had "too much emotion" to it and I was given an F. I went from a straight A student in 7th grade to a C student in 8th grade. I Look, if you are looking for a "normal", run of the mill school, and if you want your children to recieve nothing more than a "normal" education, I suppose Rio Norte would be the school for your children. Also, if you have any children with learning disabilities, you will go through absolute hell at this school.

Posted January 30, 2012
Shocked by the lack of assistance by the staff. My son was a straight A student and upon his first year at Rio, went to all C's and one D. The response from the staff, "we are here to educate and grade, nothing more". We have pulled our son out to attend Catholic School. Ida who is the person that terminates the students attendance said we were breaking the law by putting our child in another school without removing him from Rio. The asst principle, Mrs. Dos said that was not true. The school is unorganized and shows the lack of effort to assist our students AND seems to only concentrate on budget cuts. Dont put your children in such a low morale school that will only allow your student to NOT read, write or show proper math skills. I am very disappointed with such a good neighborhood allowing this to take place.

Rio Norte Junior High School 2

Posted December 05, 2011
I don't understand all the great scores of this school unless other public schools in California are really bad. Class offerings and tests are good, but that's only half the story. My kid, who is a straight A, endures teachers who don't seem able to control the classroom, administrators who would rather eat snack foods in the office rather than help control those students, extremely poor quality food for lunch, and not nearly enough time for students to eat their lunches. There is lots of room for improvement.

Rio Norte Junior High School 3

Posted September 02, 2011
My two older children attended Rio Norte. As far as education goes, it was okay, but the block schedule caused some confusion. My biggest problem with Rio Norte is that in 2008, during the Presidential campaign, many students wore clothing supporting one particular candidate, and a few of the teachers spoke openly about their progressive political leanings. Kids of this age don't need to hear teachers talk about how bad or good a politician is.

Posted December 02, 2010
i am in 7th grade at rio as of now. before i graduated from 6th grade, of course, i was nervous. on my first day, i was welcomed and had an amazing experience with the staff! i absolutely love it! the office people are just great too! rio really knows how to help a student when they are having trouble. i hope you get a chance to see what i mean for yourslef(:

Rio Norte Junior High School
28771 Rio Norte Drive, Santa Clarita, CA  91354
Last modified Rio Norte Junior High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rio Norte Junior High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top