Public charter
Santa Monica, CA

Posted December 18, 2014
As elementary school teachers with over thirty years combined, my husband and I feel qualified to highly recommend Canyon Charter. Principal Sheard is one of the best we've ever met. Enthusiastic, experienced, and warm; she truly leads. Teachers, many nationally Board Certified, not only are experienced and masters of the art of teaching..they truly care about the children. All staff work very diligently to promote an exceptionally safe environment. The children are sweet with each other and families are wonderful, kind and work tirelessly to make Canyon the rare gem of LAUSD which it is.
3 people found this helpful

Posted December 03, 2014
My son just graduated from Canyon (he went K-5) and have to say it was an amazing experience for our whole family. Great students, teachers, parents! The school is very well funded by the caring community. Community is the word here. Roll up your sleeves and get ready for bake sales and Fiesta volunteer work if you are planning to attend this very high ranking school.

Posted November 10, 2014
A small, caring school community with excellent teachers, and a safe no-bullying environment. Our child thrived here in every way! We got in by lottery, and I understand how other lottery parents might feel on-the-outs from the perceived clique of those who live in the surrounding, upscale area. They're all neighbors, and have know each other for years folks! So if you're a lottery parent, here's what you do: Volunteer! Get to know your fellow parents, join committees, be a room mom or dad, volunteer at book fair, pumpkin patch, booster club - there are so many ways to get involved - be pro-active and very quickly you'll realize that you have a bunch of great new parent friends!

Posted May 18, 2014
We love this school!! Our daughter started this school about 2 weeks late, we got in through the lottery system and cannot believe how lucky we are! She is so happy and completely thriving. Her k teacher is amazing and the parent involvement is beyond anything I have ever experienced.

Posted March 10, 2014
I have two kids at the school. We have had great teachers and the kids feel very comfortable with the teachers and the administration. The campus has a warm and comfortable feel to it and feels like a real community. Facilities are very well cared for and constantly being updated. Parents are very active in the school and particularly in the classroom. There are always extra parents helping and lots of opportunities to participate in the class, on field trips and for special school-wide events. It may not be a good fit for people who just need or want to drop their child off, as there is significant emphasis on financial and actual participation. However, if you want to be involved in your school, I cannot think of a better place to do it..

Posted January 21, 2014
this is our first year at canyon. we couldn't be happier! we love my daughter's k teacher and the families are very nice. we're upset the principal is leaving because she is wonderful.

Canyon Elementary School 4

Posted January 20, 2014
Overall Canyon is a very good school with caring and involved teachers. I think the principal is excellent (although sadly leaving this year). Bullying is not tolerated at all. period. For the most part the kids are a great bunch and get along well with each other. There are many down-to-earth, fabulous parents as well. But the person who said many of them are money-aware and will only associate themselves with others in their own "set" was sadly correct. It's a very affluent neighborhood and if you don't live it in, you can feel like an outsider. It feels very clique-y that way. Like most other public schools Canyon is way to wedded to standardized test results and there is a lot of teaching to the test, to the detriment of the kids. The Booster Club (and the core group of parents who essentially make it a full time job) do a fantastic job raising extra funds for things the school district would not otherwise provide. Unfortunately the lion share of the money goes toward buying more computers. When infrastructure is lacking and the arts and music program isn't nearly as robust as it should be, I don't think every kid needs an iPad. Just sayin'!

Posted September 03, 2013
I love, love, love this gem of an elementary school. I was a teacher in LAUSD, and before we moved to the neighborhood we were in SMMUSD, so I have experience with other schools. Canyon's Parent Leadership, Administration, Teachers, and support staff are TOP NOTCH!! We are so lucky to live in this neighborhood and able to walk to our fabulous school!

Posted August 29, 2013
This is a small gem of a school. Part of LAUSD, Canyon has been able to hire and retain excellent teachers and a caring Principal. The kids certainly love it and the tests scores are through the roof. However, Canyon is still dependent on LAUSD and thus some of the infrastructure of the school is wanting. Repairs seem to take forever and key maintenance issues are delayed over and over again. Parents tend to step in when things get bad but it should not be necessary.

Posted August 28, 2013
This school has had its principal replaced from 2008 - it's me! There seems to be some incorrect information between comments from 5 years ago and now. Canyon school is a warm, welcoming school and I pride myself on the collaborative work we do at every level - and every person is welcome to be a part of the process and product. My door is always welcome. My staff is highly trained and always open to learn and improve. We are the best because we invest in our school and our students constantly and consistently! Come check us out! Canyoncharter.com joycedara.com

Canyon Elementary School
421 Entrada Drive, Santa Monica, CA  90402
Last modified Canyon Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Canyon Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top