Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted July 08, 2016
Only had one teacher. The teachers at this school should collectively be putting pressure on the administration to make the amount of testing transparent.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted July 08, 2016
None of these need to be taught at school. Irrelevant question! This is elementary school, kids are 5-10 years old. Teach compassion and kindness not grit! Life teaches grit and persistence.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted July 08, 2016
If you teach fear and shaming it is not the same thing as respect. Respect should be more internal.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted July 08, 2016
I think the school uses shaming. The school also uses glorification so it is basically all about extrinsic values not intrinsic.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted July 08, 2016
Children wear an anti-bullying t-shirts except for those kids who are bullies. These kids are denied a t-shirt and therefor are bullied by the adults at the school. The logic is to bully the bully. This is not education nor leading by example.

Franklin Elementary School 1

Posted July 08, 2016
Two words to describe this school: PRESSURE. COOKER. This is how a teacher from Lincoln Middle School (SMMUSD) described it, underscoring our experience exactly. Mind you, my child was only in k-i-n-d-e-r-g-a-r-t-e-n. The principal uses the words "rigor" and "career and college ready" regularly. She is an advocate for the common core and for constant testing. Mind you it is common knowledge that these standards were not written by early education experts including elementary school teachers and that the rest of the country is altering the standards or getting out of them altogether. Additionally, the plethora of testing is not made transparent to the parents. If you ask to opt-out of them you will be denied both your state and constitutional rights as a parent. This is the "leadership" at Franklin. The bottom line at this school is test scores, SMMEF money (which clearly creates clout undermining what should be a democratic institution), and real estate values (the local realtor sponsors school events). One could wonder if kickbacks are happening here. This is not a whole-child centered education. One star = terrible. I wish we could have one year of our lives back. I would choose any other school in Santa Monica over this one.

Franklin Elementary School 5

Posted January 31, 2016
My daughter loves going to Kindergarten every day and our teacher is exceptional. In Addition, I had a great experience with all the front desk staff. We recently had a family emergency and experienced great care and flexibility from everyone at the front desk.

Franklin Elementary School 2

Posted December 09, 2015
I would give this one star if I didn't think my daughters teacher was heroic teaching so many students with proficiency and grace. I am not up for that challenge. I have been overwhelmed by how overrated this schools reputation is. I'm specifically disappointed in the (frankly) rudeness of the tertiary staff and the combativeness of the principal. My daughter is also, as one of you described, above average reader/student. I have been actually pleased with how the teacher sees where my child can learn and be challenged and does this well. I am not a fan of the vibe, however. It's unkind and unhelpful. Feels more like kids are inmates than students. My husband was uber private schooled all over the world. I was publc schooled and mu experience was amazing for elementary school. It was a serene campus with values and kindness. I learned to love books and people and nature. Sadly. A lot happens in a generation. In general. I have found what another reviewer said to be true: they protect their teachers defensively. Even when things aren't adding up.i see this as a serious injustice. We cannot expect everything from a public school but we can expect: no yelling and responsiveness from staff if that is happening. My heart goes out to kids who experience anything less. I think franklin could be a lot more, a lot better but somehow it seems to me. They are resting on their laurels. Not interested in improving. Just interested in towing lines and getting by for a few hours so they can go home. Bottom line: none of the staff seems to like the parents or like Franklin. So why should we?

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted December 09, 2015
I think the staff has lost its center. I think they should regroup and try and get back to the heart of what they are doing and why they are there. And if they don't like it. They should move on and let others take the helm.

Franklin Elementary School 5

Posted September 29, 2015
Parent participation is great. Teachers are good. Class size could be smaller. Overall though a very good school.

2400 Montana Avenue, Santa Monica, CA  90403-2124
Last modified Franklin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.