McKinley Elementary School

Public | K-5

Living in Santa Monica

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $665,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,580.

Posted June 22, 2014

We've been at McKinley for two years and my daughter absolutely loves going to school each day. Her K and Grade 1 teachers were amazing. Parents are very involved and though we've had a change in administration over the past year, the staff/teachers/PTA/parent volunteers have continued to maintain the high level of life long learning we all come to expect from our schools. She has had science, art, and music throughout both years. My only complaint is how long it takes for the district to "fix" things around the school and that some of the facilities on campus (restrooms, ramps to the bungalows, etc.) seem to be pushed to the back when repairs are needed. Because this is a neighborhood school, many children walk/bike/scoot to school and we see school mates/parents all around our community.

Posted October 27, 2013

McKinley is like a little home away from home for the students, faculty, and families of Santa Monica. Family and community involvement is what makes this little gem of a school so special. Everything that McKinley does and achieves is supported and promoted by the families of students. Without such a great community involvement, McKinley wouldn't be as amazing as it is today. With teachers, students learn... but with parents, teachers, and students working together, learning soars.

Posted September 26, 2013

McKinley is a good school that my child looks forward to attending each morning. All of my child's teachers have had high expectations of the students, and I see most of the children blossoming as one would hope every year. It makes a huge difference when parents get involved on any level they can, even if it means just making sure your child does his or her homework. Overall, my family is very happy with our small, neighborhood school, McKinley.

Posted May 16, 2013

My son has an excellent teacher. I appreciate how she has really helped him build a strong foundation. The progress I have seen over the course of the year is more significant than I would have imagined. He came to first grade able to read simple one line sentences and can now fluidly read full paragraphs over multiple pages. My expectations have been exceeded. Thank you!

Posted May 16, 2013

My son had his first school year at Mckinley and It truly is a GEM, He has been to another SM school and this school is so much better. Quality caring staff without the stuffy uptight environment that other schools in the area have.

Posted April 28, 2013

This is the second year our child has been at McKinley and we couldn't ask for more in a school. The quality of instruction is exceptional, the community welcoming and the leaderpship outstanding. In relation to previous negative comments regarding front office staff, the principal has listened to these concerns and implemented positive change. The school works to build strong character in all of its students. All staff from custodians to the principal recognize students for making good choices and helping others. McKinley offers parents many ways in which to be invovled whether it's through volunteering in the classroom or participating in myriad activities the PTA has to offer. (We would also give the school a greater number of stars however, this website would not allow us to do so)

Posted November 11, 2012

My child go there and we think it is a great school!.... fully trust our child to their hands every morning.

Posted October 28, 2012

We have been so thrilled with our experience thus far. The teachers, staff and principal are well qualified and genuinely care and take pride in their school. The diverse student body is extraordinary making it a true microcosm and wonderflul community. The beautiful campus and smaller student body only adds to everyone's rich experience at this well kept Santa Monica secret.

Posted September 26, 2012

I don't get nor see the things that are alleged in some of these negative reviews. McKinley is by far, the best school my child has attended! & It's starts from the top. The Principal knows the direction & vision the school needs to go in. McKinley has been named one of the best schools under her watch & there is no disputing that. My child's experience has been great. She loves learning & being challenged by all her teachers. Even when one of her teachers had to take a leave of absence, McKinley did a great job finding an excellent sub. So much so, we even hired the sub as a private tutor during the summer. The lunch program is healthy & has a variety of choices for our kids. McKinley offers some affordable after school programs for parents like myself, who work long days on occasion. Parent involvement is pretty good & there are PLENTY of opportunities to volunteer & get involved with your child's class. The bottom line is you get what YOU put into it. I also used this site to review a good school for my child....I'm sure glad I chose McKinley & you will too.

Posted September 24, 2012

Great School! We currently have our youngest child attending there and our oldest attended there as well. Recently we had our child experience bullying in the playground. We had two incidents with the same child so we decided that the best thing to do so our child can feel safe and comfortable in school would be taking it to the principal. We are so happy with the way she handled everything. Even our child said she's the best. The staff is even aware of whats going on so it won't happen again. The staff and principal are great and would highly recommend this school. At Mckinley you feel like family.

Posted September 21, 2012

Hopefully this review will not get taken down like many other LEGITIMATE reviews have: My child has attended McKinley for several years now. Overall, it's a great school. Many of the teachers are wonderful and have been there for many many years. Parent involvement is extremely high which makes this school a pleasure to be a part of as the parents (in AND out of PTA) go above and beyond to make the children have amazing experiences. Bullying has been an issue (on an elementary school level, nothing serious) but the principal seems to be taking more action on it this year which is a great plus - and makes me, as a parent, feel better knowing that more effort is being put into making every child feel safe while in school. The administration and office staff are lacking, in several ways. They, unlike the teachers and parents, do not go above or beyond (find, they don't have to) in their roles. They do the bare minimum that seems to be required of them. They are not friendly, to parents or students and they truly seem like they do not like their job. Overall, this is a great school and was voted #1 on the Westside out of all elementary schools (including Beverly Hills).

Posted September 5, 2012

Just received my child's STAR test results in the mail. Last year was our first year at McKinley, so I was interested to see the comparison in my children's scores versus the past years at our previous school where my chilren were receiving a great education. When I opened the results today, I was disappointed to see the scores were basic and on the lower proficient scale. My children have always been exceptional students and have received advanced scores every other year. I had a feeling this might happen as I observed very low standards at McKinley. Unfortunately, I think this may be the state of many of our schools now. And as for the office staff... unfriendly and unhelpful unless prompted, and the Principal with whom I've dealt with on a few occasions seems to be inefficient and in denial of inadequecies in the school- including bullying issues which are quite common there. I'm hoping my review does not get deleted because of my negative opinion.

Posted August 17, 2012

This will probsbly be deleted as most posts that are negqtive are but I think its only fare to say that the front office, the principal and some of the oldest teachers at this school need help knowing how to deal with bullying and being resoectful of parents concerns and the students well being. To many unpleasants incidents to list. The Principal will retaliate if you bring any concerns to her attention.She sais she will help but won't take calls and makes it so difficult to make an appointment. Try another school if you have the choice.

Posted August 16, 2012

So far so good. We moved to this school and my child has not made any connections to the other kids here. We never get any birthday invitations or even any interest when we have reached out to others for play dates. It's strange when he was so popular and outgoing with many friends at the last school. The first grade teacher we had was rude and miserable. She seemed upset when she had an addittion to her class. There are a lot of kids per teacher!!! 2nd grade was better with an outgoing positive energy and lots of enthusiasm for the kids. Still no strong connections. The principal was helpful when we encountered a bullying problem but there is no warm and fuzzy from most of the office staff. They don't even look up when someone walks in the door. I hate going into that office. I like the schools tight security and remain hopeful our experience will get better. My child has definitley learned a lot and established good study habits since we arrived. Awesome Halloween carnival which includes the teachers who really get into it!

Posted May 28, 2012

This is a great school. The parent involvement is amazing, and I believe our child is learning far more about so many things than children in other districts, like LAUSD. However, our child had a problem with bullying for two years in a row, by the same child. We brought this up to administration several times, nothing was ever accomplished. We had meetings with the principal, and still nothing happened. Although the principal was never directly rude and didn't act like she wanted to ignore the subject, the attitude our child received from her, the rest of the office staff, and our child's teacher almost immediately changed, negatively. So much so that other parents approached me about it, asking questions. With the bullying issue never properly assessed and handled by the principal, we decided to talk with the other family involved directly. Once we did that, the bullying stopped eventually. Thank goodness the other child's parents were understanding and helped us work out the issues so that our child could once again feel comfortable. At no thanks to the school and principal, our child now feels safe at McKinley.

Posted May 27, 2012

Just finishing up my daughter's 2nd grade year at McKinley, and we are still very happy with all that is happening. The staff & teachers are exceptional, and the parent involvement is small but mighty!

Posted May 17, 2012

I appreciate the sense of community and the strive for excellence that McKinley fosters. My child is very happy at McKinley as am I. How sad to read the negative postings, such a disservice to a dedicated group of faculty and parents. Parents searching for a school also have a right to read reviews from parents that are very pleased and highly recommend this school.

Posted April 23, 2012

McKinley is a terrific school, in an incredible community, with a diverse student body, many wonderful teachers, and an excellent principal and staff. The vast majority of families are thrilled to be at McKinley. We've been at McKinley for four years now, and our children have been well educated and well served. They feel safe and have never had any issues with their peers. Submitted by a parent

Posted February 22, 2012

With two children at McKinley, and a happy history of involvement there, I'm most impressed thatthe faculty doesn't rest on its laurels. Scores have risen; grants, awards and Distinguished School status have been earned, and there is cross-training and information-sharing among teachers. Each year brings multiple improvements. Our family has also experienced some difficulty at school, and seen the problem-resolution process first hand. We've benefitted from the bumps in the road, and feel known and attended to in McKinley's small setting. Its gratifying that a great year can follow a challenging one when you stick it out! As big a gift as our kids' education has been the sense of community we've found at our little school. The kids want to stay longer and are eager to participate in extracirricular activities, and the McKinley Moms and Dads roll up their sleeves together to help with everything from fundraising to classroom projects -- and have a great time doing it. It's sad to think about graduating to life at the much larger middle school when the time comes, but for now, this is our village, and we're very glad.

Posted December 19, 2011

We are new at McKinley. We really like this school. I see diversity in children, and they are open and friendly. My kids smoothly adjusted to the new school. Parents are very much involved with school activities, and they know it is importnt for kids. Teachers and staff work with kids with positive reinforcement. They are always willing to listen and work with us as well. I feel comfortable to talk with them about anything. I get a sense of "It takes a whole village to rise a child.". Everyone is working hard to make better for children, and kids get to experience possitive and nurturing school life. Even my out of State in law noticed how warm and close this community is. And maybe that is why kids also do well in academic.

This school's

(2012)

8 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students79%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 4%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
School psychologist
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Distinguished School (2010)

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Gifted specialist(s)
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Irene Gonzalez
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • School psychologist
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Pta elac “coffee with the principal” held monthly, offers parents opportunities to share thoughts and ideas as well as problem solve. our extensive parent email list allows for regular communication in addition to paper, web site and telephone communications.
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom