Santa Monica, CA

Posted June 10, 2014
We absolutely love John Muir! It is a small school with a lovely campus and GREAT teachers. There is definitely a good amount of parent involvement. Most importantly, my kids are enjoying learning and making good friendships along the way. So happy to be part of this quaint neighborhood school.

John Muir Elementary School 2

Posted May 16, 2014
This school has a problem. There is one teacher who terrorizes students on a daily basis. You can hear this teacher scream at the students for basic things like talking out of turn or forgetting a pencil. This teacher will drone on about subjects completely unrelated to schoolwork. The actual work assigned is boring and tedious. Incoming parents should take note: 1. This school has one of the lowest test scores in SMMUSD and more troublesome declining test scores. 2. Principal needs to be replaced. She has no rapport with teachers or staff so is basically useless. She does not stand up to this teacher or enforce the zero bullying policy among students. 3. Most of the teachers are ok but there are a few bad apples like this one who intimidates children and a few others who are indifferent. For these reasons, many good families have left for nearby schools in recent years. One positive note: there is a WONDERFUL teacher there who does not get enough credit. This teacher teaches respect to our children, teaches outside of the box and most importantly inspires and gets kids excited to learn. For elementary school this is the type of teacher I wanted for my child.

Posted March 18, 2014
My child is in Mr. Wheeler's class. He is an amazing teacher and an amazing role model for all of these children! I also love the community! The parents are very supportive and kind. Although our test scores may be lower than some schools, my child scored Advanced in Math and ELA last year. I think it shows how diverse our school is, and I think that there is much more to learn from diversity than the school's overall test scores.

Posted January 20, 2014
John Muir is mediocre at best. In my opinion, the most unorganized school in Santa Monica. The school boasts about "community", but fails to enrich the children in basic fundamentals. The teachers are nice, but with the student to teacher ratio so high, have a difficult time actually teaching (which I thought is what they are there to do). There is a small group of parents there that really try to better the school but unfortunately their efforts are done in vain. The school really has great potential, but it needs a lot of help. To make it a great school, more parent participation is needed along with stronger leadership.

Posted September 20, 2013
I got my child out of this school just in time. Going from scoring basic on standardized testing to almost advanced in both areas. This school def. needs an overhaul. They need to start with the principal who does nothing to help the parents or kids. Most teachers are nice but several are not teaching the standards. It's really sad. Don't cheat your child. Go elsewhere.

John Muir Elementary School 4

Posted January 20, 2013
Both my daughters attend this school and we love it. Yes, the test scores aren't the highest, but we also have a very high percentage of English language learners, lower income children and special needs students (who must take the tests too). My daughters score very high on the standardized test each year. However, what's more important is that they are getting the kind of education they need, including extra assignments to keep them interested. The teachers here manage to work with a class that has a huge range of abilities and knowledge.

Posted September 07, 2012
This school has made the cut! Im not sure if some parents are educated about what makes the grade but just in case you are not educated...800 is making it. Therefore, John Muir is above that...thank you very much! My daughter has scored advanced in the STAR testing every year. By the way...we are Hispanic...just in case you thought otherwise.

Posted August 16, 2012
This school has a 5 out of 10 rating due to test scores. Does that not tell you anything? They aren't even close to making the goals set. Look at the other nearby elementary schools who are making the grade!!! This school doesn't. Heed my warning.

Posted July 27, 2012
I find this school to be absolutely wonderful. My daughter is going into forth grade this year and we are hoping she gets her last years teacher. I have found that every teacher she has had has been wonderful. John Muir is wonderful and I can't believe that some parents have problems with this school. I think for the most part this school is very good when you have issues and the staff are all wonderful people. If you want a great school go to John Muir.

Posted July 02, 2012
We have had children at John Muir for 4 years. We love it! It is everything that we would want an elementary school to be! Our children have had outstanding teachers and have been challenged in the classroom. We really like the principal, who is very involved in the school. One of the best things about John Muir is the community. The community of John Muir is a very diverse group of families who come together beautifully to work together to support each other, the students, and the school. This is a small school with only 2 classrooms per grade. It is more like a private school. I highly recommend this school.

John Muir Elementary School
2526 Sixth Street, Santa Monica, CA  90405
Last modified John Muir Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Muir Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top