Santa Monica, CA

Posted April 13, 2015
John Muir is a neighborhood gem! While we could have afforded a private school, we fell in love with this school from the start. This is my son's third year and each year continues to surprise us with stellar educators, supportive staff, diversity, and enriching experiences through PS Arts, music, science, and reading programs. The principal has a gift in selecting truly wonderful teachers. There is a wonderful community feel to this school-the smaller campus means parents and students actually get to know one another and parents seem to enjoy lingering after drop-offs to catch up. The campus itself is also gorgeous-with edible gardens, a large beautiful field, tiled artwork, and open spaces. My child is a highly motivated and successful student-do not let only scores guide your decision in choosing a school for your child.

Posted March 12, 2015
My daughter has gone to school here since kindergarten and is now is 2nd grade. I fortunately went here as a child as well and had such a great time I knew there was no question I wanted to enroll her here. What I think is so great about the school is that it's small and the children get a great amount of attention. The area of Santa monica the school is in is now very wealthy due to the tech boom but still has a good mixture middle class families and ethnic diversities which I love. Fundraising goes to provide science , art and music for children of all grades which I love because my child is well rounded. I've always felt the teachers were very involved with their children and my daughter has always loved each one of her teachers very much. They are great with communicating issues that are happening in the school, community and classroom daily. All in all if you are new to the area or looking for a great school , John Muir is a great school to keep your child in the mix with various types of children from all backgrounds and they will learn subjects such as art and science that most public schools don't have for children under fourth grade.

Posted March 11, 2015
My son is in Kindergarten at John Muir and this first year of our has been amazing. He loves his teacher, Ms.Hodges, and so do we. She truly reaches all children in the class. She makes learning fun and I can t believe how much our son has grown and learn this first year in school. We are a family from Sweden and have been in Santa Monica for 2,5 years and have now decided to stay another 2 years - and the wonderful school experience made the choice to stay som much easier. We love that it s a small school. A warm and welcoming community.

Posted March 11, 2015
My children have been with John Muir since 1st grade. The teachers are just wonderful. There is a great community feel and it is very diverse. The main thing is my children go to school with smiles on their faces! I'm very happy we picked Muir!

Posted March 11, 2015
This is our 3rd year at John Muir and every teacher we've had so far has been amazing. Very positive, patient and encouraging. Pr Komlos has a gift in finding great teachers. My daughter is making huge yearly leaps academically and she is happy to go to school each day. We love how small the school is, how diverse it is and above all how we know families from all grades. It's a little gem.

John Muir Elementary School 4

Posted March 11, 2015
My daughter is in 4th grade at John Muir and my son will begin Kindergarten in the fall. We have been so happy with each of her five teachers so far. As a group they are intelligent, creative, and approachable. I have found the principal to be approachable too, open to ideas, and diplomatic. I love the small size of the school (two classrooms per grade), the emphasis on the arts, and the abundance of cultural events. Our grade has some amazing parents that lead after school enrichment clubs/classes. If more parents would bring their time, energy, and/or enthusiasm to the school, it would be even better.

Posted June 10, 2014
We absolutely love John Muir! It is a small school with a lovely campus and GREAT teachers. There is definitely a good amount of parent involvement. Most importantly, my kids are enjoying learning and making good friendships along the way. So happy to be part of this quaint neighborhood school.

John Muir Elementary School 2

Posted May 16, 2014
This school has a problem. There is one teacher who terrorizes students on a daily basis. You can hear this teacher scream at the students for basic things like talking out of turn or forgetting a pencil. This teacher will drone on about subjects completely unrelated to schoolwork. The actual work assigned is boring and tedious. Incoming parents should take note: 1. This school has one of the lowest test scores in SMMUSD and more troublesome declining test scores. 2. Principal needs to be replaced. She has no rapport with teachers or staff so is basically useless. She does not stand up to this teacher or enforce the zero bullying policy among students. 3. Most of the teachers are ok but there are a few bad apples like this one who intimidates children and a few others who are indifferent. For these reasons, many good families have left for nearby schools in recent years. One positive note: there is a WONDERFUL teacher there who does not get enough credit. This teacher teaches respect to our children, teaches outside of the box and most importantly inspires and gets kids excited to learn. For elementary school this is the type of teacher I wanted for my child.

Posted March 18, 2014
My child is in Mr. Wheeler's class. He is an amazing teacher and an amazing role model for all of these children! I also love the community! The parents are very supportive and kind. Although our test scores may be lower than some schools, my child scored Advanced in Math and ELA last year. I think it shows how diverse our school is, and I think that there is much more to learn from diversity than the school's overall test scores.

John Muir Elementary School
2526 Sixth Street, Santa Monica, CA  90405
Last modified John Muir Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Muir Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top