Will Rogers Elementary School

Public | K-5

Living in Santa Monica

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $850,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,690.

Posted February 16, 2014

My daughter is in Kindergarten here and although I didn't plan on being at this school I am so incredibly happy we ended up here at our neighborhood school! There is a great family environment, wonderful teachers a new amazing principle that truly cares and is taking measures to continue to improve the school in every area. To is a STEM focused school, of which I knew nothing about before and now am so grateful my kids are partaking in this inquiry based learning style. I have joined the PTA and am active alongside an real unique and diverse well rounded group of parents who truly have made me feel at home and show tier passion for the school!

Posted September 15, 2013

I bcame a single dad in 2009 with my daughter in 2nd grade and my son in 1st grade. Both of the children had been living with mom since our divorce. Mom was no longer able to care for the children and moved 3000 miles away. Both children were emotionally devestated. My financial situation was nothing to be desired so my only option was to entoll both kids into the local elementary school. That school happened to be Will Rogers Lealrning Community. Within a few weeks I began to realize our good fortune! Teachers and administration were contacting me to come by and discuss our family's situation. The kids were given CREST afternoon program. We were referred services onsite and off. No one ever gave up on my kids and the whole child approach has transformed my two children into successful learners who enjoy school, music, sports and best of all, to be good friends and good citizens. If you live in the neighborhood, don't even think about sending your children elsewhere! No amount of money or standardized test scores will give your child and your family what Rogers will give you. 5 stars+!

Posted June 23, 2013

Will Rogers Learning Community is outstanding. We are so happy to be at our home public school and can actually walk to school. The teachers care about all the kids in class and want to see all succeed. The community of parents and business leaders continue to support the school through many outstanding programs; science, art, music and P.E. all start in kindergarten. The school has a Green Team that supports "greening the school" with the help of the student body not just parents...so it is a true team effort...and a learning experience. The PTA is a strong supporter of the curriculum, facilities improvements and the over well being of all the families at Will Rogers. My kids love to go to school!

Posted June 23, 2013

My child was supposed to go to another Santa Monica Elementary school; however, I was so impressed with Will Rogers, I made the switch. I'm so glad we did! Excellent teachers, a fabulous principle that knows parents and children by first name, STEM, Ipad lab, Art program, music program, the list goes on. The community is great as well with a strong PTA. Don't let the test scores fool you. This school has so much to offer!

Posted October 8, 2012

Wonderful teachers, staff & committed parents! stem program is great, with a full time science teacher. 2 new iPad labs, plus a desktop Mac lab. Art and science too! We have 3 kids here & couldn't be happier with out sweet school!

Posted April 27, 2012

After 2 years at Will Rogers, I couldn't be happier as a parent to see my child thrive in this wonderful school! The teachers, staff and principal are amazing, and I feel like my son is off to a great start in education! With more and more local families enrolling, I can see this community school growing stronger year by year and am extremely proud to be a Will Rogers parent.

Posted April 17, 2012

as a parent of four who have gone through Rogers, I can attest to the amazing school it is. The teachers are incredible and really work well together. I truly believe that Rogers is unique in this way. It is a community and our principal is a fantastic leader. All of my children have received a top notch education -- my oldest is now on her way to USC -- thank you Rogers for getting her off to a great start!

Posted April 17, 2012

We have an amazing first year at WR~ The teachers are amazing and we are very pleased with the principal. My daughters are lucky to be able to attend this school

Posted June 28, 2010

Will Rogers is a wonderful school with amazing, dedicated teachers who go over and beyond their "duties". Will Rogers has made a huge difference in my son's life and he is excited to learn! The parent community is also a phenomenal group of parents who are dedicated to creating a true community public neighborhood school.

Posted June 28, 2010

The assistant Principal is genuine, collaborates & passionate about her job! Most teachers are excellent...we've been lucky to have 2 of the the outstanding ones :-)

Posted June 24, 2010

As highly involved parents, we've been thrilled with Will Rogers. The teachers are devoted and excellent. They make learning interesting and fun and the teachers care about the success of each child. Will Rogers helps create independent thinkers/responsible individuals and provides a well-rounded education through very creative programs and activities. Our child couldn't wait to get to school every day and is really looking forward to the start of another exciting year in the fall.

Posted June 24, 2010

The school refers to itself as Will Rogers Learning Community, and it really is a community. There are all sorts of cultural and educational opportunities for students and parents, and the teachers are outstanding. Even though my family moved out of Culver City and our "home" elementary school rates higher if all you look at is state testing ratings, I have kept my child at Will Rogers on a permit. Regardless of how state ratings may compare, this school does an amazing job of teaching kids to be good students and good well-rounded citizens.

Posted June 24, 2010

Yes, I gave our school 5 stars. Does this mean we don't have some slacker teachers? Ha. Of course we do. I think every public school does. But they are few and far between. I hear the kids talk about how much they love their teachers. I see how hard they work at helping our kids learn and progress. Does this mean we have a "perfect" principal? No one is perfect. But the principals we have had here have such an amazing vision and enthusiasm for our school and our children. Does every parent participate? Of course not. But the ones who do volunteer go above and beyond. I love the that we are a STEM school, that every classroom has a SMART Board, that P.S. Arts is a part of our school, our music program, and that we've hooked up with UCLA for math instruction. I love our school!

Posted June 23, 2010

My second child just graduated from Will Rogers and I am so sad to no longer have this wonderful school in our lives. Rogers has an amazing staff and we have had nothing but excellent teachers for all 9 years that I have had children there. The PTA is very involved and provide so many great programs and services for the children of Will Rogers. It has been a pleasure to be a part of this special learning community

Posted June 22, 2010

My last child just finished 5th grade and it is with tears that I say good bye to all the wonderful people at Will Rogers. Both of my children have had amazing experiences here. With the introduction of STEM Focused instruction (science, technology, engineering and math) I can honestly say my kids had a world class education beyond any available in any other public school in Southern California. Teachers are responsive, and, after the death of our beloved principal in July of 2009, the care and concern grew from all the staff. We are a true community! Parents are wonderful and the diversity of the population is a plus. Shame on anyone who runs from our demographics. Our school is a snapshot of the future and our children learn tolerance and acceptance in a safe and loving environment. I will miss Will Rogers but already love our middle school.

Posted October 5, 2009

Being new to this school last year, my entire family felt welcome to this new community. We love the teachers.

Posted March 20, 2009

This is a wonderful school environment. The curriculum is innovative and challenging. My children as engaged and challenged. The teachers are the most dedicated group of teachers I have ever met and the administration is very concerned with meeting the needs of all the students. I feel lucky that my students go to this school.

Posted March 18, 2009

I am dissatisfied with the Will Rogers school. Written communications from my child's teacher are full of grammatical errors and misinformation. Getting an answer to a question is downright impossible and makes it very frustrating to monitor my child's progress. The teacher is very friendly to those that volunteer and do her job for her, but the rest of us get the cold shoulder. This was one of the teachers that everyone told me was 'great.' I'm counting the days until we are on to the next grade. They can't all be like this, can they? On the surface, it looks like a nice place. But scratch just a little bit and you find that there is no substance below that surface. It is no wonder most families in my neighborhood send their kids to private schools.

Posted September 3, 2007

With three wildly successful children at Will Rogers I truly want to tell new parents: please don't let the test scores fool you! As a Title I school in the district, Will Rogers may not have the same overall scores as others but our students are thriving and achieving tremendous individual success that comes from strong academic rigor. My children's individual scores are very high and we have been very pleased with the work and work ethic they have learned at Rogers. When considering a school, consider that our teachers are among the highest trained and most dedicated, our staff is supremely efficient and as the name says we are a 'community' of learners and parents who work for the entire school.

Posted August 29, 2007

Will Rogers Learning Community has been a great place for my kids to learn and grow in a safe and loving environment. The principal and the vice-principal are open mineded and willing to implement new ideas that showcase the children's talents and abilities. There are very stron music and art programs a weekly multlevel class called strings where the kids get to deal with life problems and learn how to handle them. After school enrichment classes are affordable and fun. The teaching staff is strong and involved and respect for each other is a strong theme throughout the grades. I feel fortunate that my kids are at Will Rogers.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students41%

• Annette Mendoza
Fax number
  • (310) 452-9035

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2401 14th Street