Posted April 25, 2014
Roosevelt is an amazing school with incredible, dedicated and responsive teachers who teach to the child, not the test, and an administration and staff whose dedication to the school is similarly amazing. The sense of community is remarkable and it's been a magical elementary experience. We feel very fortunate to have the opportunity for our kids to attend Roosevelt!

Posted October 27, 2013
What's great about Roosevelt Elementary School and the new Common Core Curriculum is that the administration and teachers have been teaching this way for many years. With the PTA support and the amazing motivated staff they already have CGI (cognitively guided instruction) and Columbia's Teachers College readers and writers workshop training. It is all about deep thinking!! It's all about great teaching!

Posted October 24, 2013
Teaches children creativity, teamwork, and problem solving in a diverse, real world setting. Children here get the foundation for success in today's world. Teachers work very hard and treat every child as an individual. The administration is responsive to all.

Posted September 15, 2013
Having read the two negative comments about Roosevelt this month, I can only assume the parents (if they really are parents at the school) had a beef with someone or something. I cannot imagine how a school in a lovely part of Santa Monica, which just got the highest API score in the district (and one of the highest in California) and whose PTA raises hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, can possibly be honestly described as in a bad neigborhood, with poor leadership and teachers, and little parent invovlment. I guess you can't please all of the people all of the time. Roosevelt is always oversubscribed so perhaps it's not a bad thing that the grumpy parents have left, as this will free up space for those who will appreciate what Roosevelt has to offer.

Roosevelt Elementary School 1

Posted September 10, 2013
Not currently our school but I just had to come back here to say, "watch out". When you find a school you would like your children to attend, ask around the neighborhood about it. Look around...do you really want your child to live here! Go on a tour of the school, meet the teachers and principal. Notice I didn't capitalize principal...because the principal of Roosevelt from 2011 doesn't deserve it. Teacher quality is poor. Principal leadership is poor and she was actually fired from another school, then moved to Roosevelt. Parent involvement is poor because the teachers don't want the help! We moved to another school in the same district but up the coast a little ways. We went on a tour of the new school, we looked around for a more suitable environment/home for our children and we asked around the neighborhoods about the schools. We have never been happier! For your children's sake (especially if you have children with special needs), please take the time to find the right school! Now, I'm going to go and give complimentary comments to the new schools our children attend!

Posted February 07, 2013
Roosevelt is a really good community school that manages to be warm and inclusive with a very large and diverse student body. Are all the teacher great? No, but some of the best teachers you'll ever meet are here. It seems that some people have had problems with the administration--that has not been my experience. They've been very helpful and supportive when we needed it. We're very happy to have found this school and this community.

Roosevelt Elementary School 2

Posted September 26, 2012
Some parents joke that at Roosevelt it's "No child left behind AND no child gets ahead," meaning the teachers make painstaking efforts to help the slower students to catch up with the rest of the class while leaving the advanced ones alone, knowing they'll be "fine" on their own. This is more pathetically true than funny! The review on 9/2/12 said "The teacher outright refused to help challenge my child, who was ahead of the curriculum", it hits home with me. Routinely each school year the new teacher will ask parents to fill out a detailed questionnaire on your child to help her better understand and work with your child. I truthfully described my child's ability in reading as entering 1st grade this year she was able to read children's chapter books particularly many by Roald Dahl, thinking this would help teacher know her and challenge her accordingly. Little did I know I've actually placed my child in disadvantage with this info and hurt her chance of getting the attention and push she needs. Another mom I know said her child (another class) who was ahead as well was usually left alone in class and feeling bored because the teacher simply let her be as she didn't need "help."

Posted September 05, 2012
I have 2 children at Roosevelt and a third who has graduated. Our family has had an incredible experience at this school. The teachers are passionate and very well trained, the administration is engaged and caring and the parent community is low key and involved. My children are all 3 very different learners, but they have each been able to thrive at this community school. Roosevelt certainly has challenges due to its size (almost 800 students) and the State budget cuts, but the administration and parent leaders have helped the school navigate these difficult times.

Roosevelt Elementary School 3

Posted September 02, 2012
The parent involvement at Roosevelt is good, compared with other schools, but it also depends on your child's classroom. Roosevelt is a HUGE school. There are now 7 kindergarten classrooms and we're up to 26-28 kids per class. Budget cuts are really hurting us, so there's a lot of pressure on us parents to cough up the requested $825 per family fee from the get go. Be forewarned, the principal will ALWAYS stick up for the teachers and justify their actions, I've seen and heard this from LOTS of other parents who have locked heads with her big time, absent you having proof. It's just the way it is. My kid's experience last year was bad in many ways, to the point where we were almost going to go the private school route. The teacher outright refused to help challenge my child, who was ahead of the curriculum and was frustrated most of the year. Teacher was rude and treated me like I was a 5 year old. There's more to this. Hopefully this year will be a much better one- this teacher seems to have a much better attitude and genuinely seems to want to be a teacher for all the right reasons. Now only if we can get past the budget cutbacks!

Roosevelt Elementary School 2

Posted August 14, 2012
I don't know where to begin when reviewing Roosevelt Elementary. The only reason I give it two stars is for my love for Mrs. Handleman of Kindergarten and Mrs. Garcia of second grade... They are amazing. I am basing my review on the school in general. My daughter has gone there for 4 years and will no longer be attending(thank goodness!). The lack of communication with the principal/vice principal and the parents is uncalled for. There is a major bullying issue at Roosevelt and the school fails to address the issue. They make statements that say they are a no bully tolerating school but this is not the case. I could give you a dozen examples but I will give one for now. My daughter was being bullied at the playground(hardly any supervision on the Roosevelt playground and when a child tries to get help, they tell them not to tattle). She had a rock thrown at her head one day and insisted on going to the nurses office for help. They not only failed to call me, but the following week(after my daughter went to the ER for dizziness that evening), the principal's excuse was that there were too many kids with my daughters name and they couldn't find my number! Are you kidding? Also, the

Roosevelt Elementary School
801 Montana Avenue, Santa Monica, CA  90403
Last modified Roosevelt Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Roosevelt Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 85 reviews. Top