Santa Monica, CA

Posted April 17, 2014
Sweet kids and a nice location. The yard could be bigger but the staggered lunch help the kids share the one and only field. The academics are strong, everyone is encouraged to do community service. A very nice place for children to grow up.

Posted April 18, 2013
Carlthorp School makes sure that the children that attend are kind and courteous to each other and everyone that they meet. The Code of Conduct is read by the second graders every Monday. The teachers engage the children in fun academic activities through the iPads (they have and iPad cart), the Macbook Airs (each child gets one in 4th grade and has a chance to buy them at the end of 6th grade), our out on the field. The teachers are always there for the kids and teach them extraordinary things. They get the kids very prepared for secondary school. In 6th grade, the kids learn all of the countries and capitals in the world! An amazing school.

Posted August 31, 2010
This was an outstanding school for my son. The academics and teachers were outstanding. Dee Menzies is one of the most amazing administrators we've known. The school is also so nuturing and warm. Also a wonderful parent body. Down to earth real people who truly care about education whether they are monied or not.

Posted May 16, 2009
This is one of the finest schools in Los Angeles. The principal is excellent. I have never heard of any punishments such as detention yet the children here are the best behaved I have ever seen. There is a mutual respect between the faculty and the children which causes the children to become mature. The academics are incredible yet they are not forced but taught in a very engaging manner by very experienced and top notch teachers.

Posted August 10, 2007
I graduated from there in the year 2000 and I felt SOOO prepared for high schoool because of the things I learned at Carlthorp. I am going into my second year of college now.

Posted May 18, 2007
We are new to the school this year, but we couldn't be happier. The Kindergarten teachers are warm and nurturing. And the Kindergarten violin program was the highlight of our daughter's year. Who would believe our five year old could play Mozart!

Carlthorp 4

Posted March 25, 2006
Education is very good but weak on the arts department. Fairly young staff/teachers at times can be a problem when dealing with student behavior (inexperienced). No parent-teacher conferences unless requested by parent is another weakness.

Posted August 15, 2005
This is an amazing school. The teachers prepare the students academically for the demands of middle school. The administration is wonderful. Dee Menzies and her staff truly care about the students, their academic success as well as their emotional well being. Both my children went to Carlthorp and were very well prepared for the challenges that lay ahead of them. I just wish that Carlthorp went through middle school as well as high school. It will be very difficult for us to find school with the same high level of academics as well as care and concern for the whole child. You will not go wrong sending your children to Carlthorp.

Posted March 28, 2005
Great family/community school, wonderful teachers, excellent curriculum. Need I say more?

Posted March 28, 2005
Great academics. By the end of sixth grade, my kid knew every country and capitol in the world and knew hard algreba.I couldn't send my kid to a better elementary school. He isn't that smart but he still got into Harvard Westlake. What are the chances?

Carlthorp