Posted September 13, 2014
I have been very impressed with RVCS on the Sequoia campus this year! The teachers and new Vice Principal are really nice and have made our family feel very welcomed on the campus. My daughter is again excited about school and loves using technology as a tool for her learning. This is a 5 STAR school! I am totally impressed with this place.

Posted February 20, 2014
RVCS is an amazing school. The teachers on this campus obviously CARE about their students and spend time with them individually, which is hard to say about some of the bigger schools. I have had a student attend one of the larger schools and one who is at RVCS, and our experience here has been far more connected. Teachers are accessible to both parents and students. The extracurricular activities are inclusive of all students. The drama program is incredible! My student is excited about going to school and talks about what they are doing in positive meaningful ways. As usual, people with complaints are usually the ones who seek out these forums, which is why I wanted to make sure and give the school the five star review that it actually DESERVES!

Posted February 04, 2014
We had a terrible experience at this school. The "project-based" nature of the curriculum worked well in some cases but was absurdly inefficient in many, many others. For example, on certain topics, way too much time was spent making pretty overheads and not enough time thinking about concepts. We were seeing warning signs so partway through our first year we spoke to numerous parents who had RV Charter kids now in high school and almost all of them said their kids were poorly prepared for high school. We pulled ours from RV Charter and moved on - and we're really happy with the decision. To attract students they give really enticing presentations at the elementary school, and I admit, we fell for it.

Rincon Valley Charter School 2

Posted January 12, 2014
I am glad to see such positive reviews these past few months for RVCS...It is nice to hear children are doing well and thriving. That, is the hope of all parents for their children. This was not what happened for us...It was a devastating year. You respond to the negative reviews below your positive one, with the sentence," I don't know what all the negative reviews are about..." which is a fortunate and thankful thing. Be I assure you, anything written was well thought out, based from personal experience, and very serious... That being said, I have been told, that the staff has been very on point this year...the school was made aware of many things last year, they didn't know about...you can't fix something, if you don't know it's broken... I am sure the school is dedicated to dealing with any unwanted behavior, fast. They know what to watch for... Any staff changes needed, happened. That, is very positive.The changes sound hopeful, and pro-active... The bottom line, is every year is a different group of kids, with a different group dynamic. There was a reason this school has had to have a lottery, it had the right focus, and expectations.

Posted November 21, 2013
This is an amazing school! Not only is my student thriving and making friends, but we are also seeing a rise in his self confidence and ability to make better academic choices. The teachers and administrators are very involved in the success of every student. I highly recommend this school to all parents and students who are seeking new and innovative teaching that kids respond to whole heartedly!

Posted August 11, 2013
Our experience with this school was atrocious. The principal was completely out of touch with the myriad of student and teacher issues and seemingly unable to address them when made aware. We pulled out child out. It is essentially a marketing ploy. Based o the ratings history, maybe it was good a few years ago and has declined. Stay clear . . .

Posted July 23, 2013
Keep in mind that this is coming from a student. This is the worst school that I have ever been in. The school itself made up SO many lies that it is literally hysterical to think about. Here are some examples: They give all the students computers; almost 0% of what goes on on those is school related. They act like the school is small; when the school isn't that much smaller than average, but it is PACKED so tightly into a small area that it seems massive to students. The teachers are basically blind, and have no sense about what is going on right in front of their eyes. Students here do ANYTHING for attention, even if it involves HEAVY violence and bullying. The system that this school runs is, in one word, HORRIBLE. I can go on for days about this school, but I'm going to save time and just say this: NEVER BRING YOUR KIDS HERE.

Rincon Valley Charter School 2

Posted June 29, 2013
If you don't want your child getting lost in,' the crowd', or want your child to be able to thrive in a smaller school setting, have hands on projects and teachers who make school exciting, and kept safe from bullying, then this is NOT the school for you. It has a serious problem in all of the above issues. The school has too many students, with behavioral and learning problems. The result is an off balance peer dominated school structure, that is nothing at all like what the children and parents are led to believe it is. Sad, it seemed so positive. Many parents agree with this. Like the review above had written, It was a lost year, no positive outcome. The principal is a strong force at the school. He is kind and just. Things that were going on were underlying not easily noticed visibly. Sometimes, there is a larger than normal offset of students and groups who are in need of diciplinary attention in certain years, and this year was one of them. It was too many to deal with at one time I think...Hopefully this can be rectified before the schools reputation is further tarnished.

Posted June 03, 2013
We enrolled our daughter in this school based on the good word-of-mouth that circulates about it locally. Now that we're at the end of her 7th grade year, we're wondering why we bothered. Issues abound with the teaching staff, ranging from outright incompetence (we've had notes sent home littered with basic spelling errors and grammar mistakes) to an inability to control their students. Essential knowledge (US and California history, classics of literature, basic English) is eschewed in favor of lengthy and specific units on certain ethnic groups, drawing manga and anime characters in "fine arts" and playing video games. Parents are expected to drop what they're doing at a moment's notice to attend mandatory functions tied to their child's grades and pay ridiculous fees for activities and trips. Our e-mail boxes are incessantly flooded with rudely-written, demanding newsletters throughout the day, every single day. A system allowing parents to monitor their child's progress online was promised at the start of the year and never delivered. DO NOT BOTHER WITH THEIR ENROLLMENT "RAFFLE". It is not worth the headache! There are better schools in the district.

Posted May 27, 2013
There are teachers at this school who can't handle us well. I don't want to name names, but he really needs to grow up and be a man. Most teachers are too laid back and don't teach us anything. Our standards are going down. We haven't even learned about the Civil War yet! Why aren't we learning anything we need to?! I don't like the school at all. I don't like really anything about it.

Rincon Valley Charter School
5305 Dupont Drive, Santa Rosa, CA  95409
Last modified Rincon Valley Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rincon Valley Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top