Public charter
Santa Rosa, CA

Posted October 10, 2014
I totally agree with the September 3, 2014 posting. We have had the same experience. BE WARNED: If your child is Caucasian they will likely be fine...if you are anything else or look obviously to be something else, your child will be singled out as a "trouble maker". The staff's child development knowledge and practices are out of date and at times outright maddening. IF YOU HAVE A BOY be careful, this is also clearly a school that thinks that "girls are made of sugar and spice and everything nice" and boys are made of "snip and snails and puppy dog tails," and are troublesome, rude, and purposefully disrespectful, even though they may be too young to understand what is really the issue. They rather send the young child to the office then try to guide or redirect towards a more ideal behavior. What is good is that they have Spanish class 3 times a week (even though it is taught by a woman with a very heavy American English accent), there are a lot of opportunities for parents to participate, and there are a lot of interesting activities/tools that other schools don't have including an art and music program.

Santa Rosa Charter School 1

Posted September 03, 2014
Wow, I should have listened to the other reviewers here! It's true... Bullying was an instant, pervasive and persistent problem. The leadership at the school actively encourages mental and physical bullying through selective discipline and freely allowing targeting and abuse without meaningful consequences. Additionally, the discipline regimen allows playground retribution by bullies in response to reports to adults. I've tried to work with the school, they are aware of the issue, but their response has been to actively weed out victims of bullying rather than to address the problem. I should have seen this coming. Your young elementary school child may be at risk of physical harm here.

Posted June 12, 2014
This is a great school. The teachers and staff care about the students. The class sizes are small and the teachers get to know all the students well. The teachers are great at keeping in contact with parents. I always felt comfortable talking with the teachers in person or by email. There is also lots of overnight camping trips which the kids love. Last year my Son went Camping in Mendocino for 4 nights, Ashland Oregon for 3 nights, and Point Reyes for one night. Santa Rosa Charter School is worth checking out.

Santa Rosa Charter School 4

Posted February 25, 2014
I use to be a student here. Try to get bill as a teacher he is amazing if you do decide to send your child here, I was also in his guitar class after school and it is still one of my fondest child hood memories and I still play guitar today. Even tho I was well liked I was still bullied and I do not believe it was handled properly at all but looking back there were a few kids who got the bullying really bad I remember bill always trying to put a stop to it but other than him no one took it seriously enough... Im now married in my 20s. Education wise it was the best of the best. Tops any other school I have ever been too. Not just what was taught but The way everything was taught in such a manner where to this day I can still remember it alland helping my nieces with there homework is a breeze.

Santa Rosa Charter School 1

Posted January 27, 2014
I am being bullied and the staff here does not help me and the principal is very,very scary.

Posted August 26, 2013
My son has been going to this school since Kindergarten, and he is now in 2nd grade. I feel that this job does an excellent job of teaching strong academics and an interesting way.

Posted August 20, 2013
This school was not good. The are not the school they make them selves out to be. My biggest gripe is about there policy on bullies.

Posted December 21, 2012
I used to be a student at this school and looking back, the charter school was the best thing that ever happened to me. Its just one big family, and even though I haven't been there in many years, I still have friends with me now that I made when I was there. The teachers are awesome and you can tell that they truly care about their students. It's a great elementary school and a lot of my high school and college friends missed out because they did not go here. I can definitely say that the classes are not divided into smart kids and less smart kids and there werent any bullies there. If a kid did do something mean, it was dealt with right away so that it didnt happen again. Maybe kids have changed since I went there but I felt very safe at the charter school. The teachers treated every student as an equal, and the kids who entered that did not start as preschoolers where almost welcomed better than those who did because we appreciated the new faces. And yes some moms were given more praise than others but that was because this is a parent incorporated school and the moms that put all their energy into the school are appreciated for it. This school really is the best and I miss it.

Posted September 26, 2011
Having been in a coop school environment before my family entered the SRCS with high hopes not only for the academics but also for the school community. Excellent academics we found, but the school community was awash in hateful and exclusionary elitism. My children who attended this school got an outstanding education during their years there - I give full credit where that is due - but the environment in which they were taught = toxic. Children are allowed to bully with no consequences worse than a visit to the principals office - where they do their work or just sit / hang out. What bully woudn't want to do that instead of being in class? The 2 classes for each grade were clearly divided into the "smart easy kids" and the "difficult kids". The school talks a lot about their respectful atmosphere but what I found was teachers who had favorites, "popular girl" cliques (And I mean for the moms, not the kids) and a marked lack of welcome to anyone who hadn't attended the school since preschool. If I sound like sour grapes it is because I am...but wouldn't you prefer your child to attend a school that doesn't inspire sour grapes in anyone? I cannot condemn SRCS enough.

Posted June 02, 2011
This was my first year at Santa Rosa Charter School with a 7th grader and a kindergartner. I am so glad we made the switch from a very poorly performing school where my daughter was just lost in the flood in sixth grade to this wonderful nurturing environment for the seventh grade, it has done wonders for my daughter. I'm only sorry I didn't find it sooner. I won't make the same mistake with my kindergartner, she'll be here until they won't let us be here anymore!

Santa Rosa Charter School
2760 West Steele Lane, Santa Rosa, CA  95403
Last modified Santa Rosa Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Santa Rosa Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top