Posted June 19, 2014
This is a white trash school. Terrible administration, unfriendly kids. If you want to do well, you will have to have to be self-motivated because no one can or will help you. Montgomery isn't that much better though, so if you live in the district, I feel truly sorry for you.

Posted March 26, 2014
If you are choosing between schools, this is probably not a good school to pick. We've experienced a lot of teachers here and while some are very good, most are terrible. This problem stems from the schools leadership. The principle is one of the most arrogant people you will ever meet and is obviously not involved in communicating with parents or teachers. If he were, there would be better organization and accountability in the teaching ranks. Same class, different teachers, different agendas. Doesn't make sense. The athletic program is even worse. They have 2 AD's yet neither can organize a sports program that promotes communication, good coaching, or care for all of the programs. One AD is an arrogant know it all and the other tries to hide from any work. This has to be the worst all around athletic program in Santa Rosa. A friend of ours is in the Carrillo district and never even attempted to have their kids attend that school. They are fairly hooked up in the school community and knew what the problems would be. I literally believe that the top people at the school are coasting their way to a paycheck. I wasn't surprised to see all of these bad reviews. When is change?

Posted January 23, 2014
RACISM. I attended this school, People were racist. Arrogant. Teachers never defended me. A teacher once yelled at me- and I told the my counselor. You know what she said; she said " He comes from the business field." Who says that to a student?! This school was segregated. I was bullied. I understand you shouldn't hold things back, you need to forgive people. Because racism is arrogance, stupidity. I say that as a life coach, Psyc Major. Its WRONG. I rather send my child to a liberal school where people can learn information about what is REALLY going on in this world. I could have gone to a university but my counselor told me I couldn't, when I had the grades! She just didnt believe in me. A teenager & a child shouldn't go through something like this. It scars them for life. I understand bullying is just low self esteem & cowardice. I am over it personally, I live in LA . But for those who want your child to have a good school experience, send them to Montgomery. Arrogance is not bliss. Your child should live in an open mind. There is a bigger world out there. The world will chew them up if they do not develop self confidence and self esteem first hand.

Maria Carrillo High School 3

Posted January 15, 2014
Our child is extremely strong academically and has been able to thrive in this school's conventional approach so that suited us well. In general, the teachers have been good, though some seem to teach the students to do things mechanically rather than really understanding, but ones like that are in the minority. The band program continues to be strong. The one drastic weekness is the leadership in the administration - in our opinion have been unhelpful and demonstrated astonishingly poor judgment, hence the low leadership score we gave.

Maria Carrillo High School 2

Posted August 11, 2012
I attended this school for 3 and a half years. I had many troubles with math and never got further than I thought I would. I had only one teacher that was a great help for me throughout my whole high school career. The teachers are mostly rude and the campus student body was very rude in accepting me as a homosexual student. All in all, the school, the teachers, the administration spend too much time trying to help kids that don't need it and give all the bad attention to the kids who don't need it.

Maria Carrillo High School 2

Posted March 07, 2012
Even had a consoler grag that good students are afraid to miss a day sick because they are sick and afraid of falling behind. Sham on you fro creating this enviornment. 25% of first year algebra students fail. Yet the school takes no responsibility. Once a kid falls behind or has a bad week, forget it. They get demotivated and are labeled as either not having the ability or are lazy. Unless you are in creative arts, they have no desire to create a well rounded education. Three hours of home work nightly? Way too much if you have any outside activities. Good schools and good teachers can create good results with a reasonable work load. Poor schools and poor teachers need to use a high work load and take some responsability to help motivate not demean and demotivate.

Maria Carrillo High School 3

Posted July 03, 2011
I am a parent of a recent graduate who is a good student but struggled at the school. This school is very "in the box" if you have a student who doesn't fit the "I am very disciplined and work very hard mode" then this is probably not the school for your child. There is not a lot of support or understanding for students that don't fit their mold. Some of the academic classes are taught at AP class level and some classes are taught at college level. This may be a good thing for the upper 5-10% of students but not for the remaining. Previous responses were correct the survey classes are for the behavioral kids. Very disappointed, my youngest will not be attending high school here. The only thing that saved my student was the advocacy teacher-most of the other teachers could have cared less. Forget about the counselors-they are too overworked and not very helpful. This is public school and unless we vote for more taxes to help it will only get worse. :(

Maria Carrillo High School 0

Posted October 04, 2009
Maria Carillo provides a solid and challenging academic education and has many high quality, caring teachers. The drama department and the cross country/track teams are fantastic. MCHS has been very effective at preparing my own kids for a brilliant college carreer. After four years at MCHS, my children successfully got into top colleges. Thank you MCHS!

Maria Carrillo High School 5

Posted June 03, 2009

Maria Carrillo High School 5

Posted May 08, 2009

Maria Carrillo High School
6975 Montecito Boulevard, Santa Rosa, CA  95409
Last modified Maria Carrillo High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Maria Carrillo High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top