1,599 students|Santa Rosa High

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (2 responses)

Posted May 19, 2016
Several years leading up to my child’s freshman year at Maria Carrillo, we were warned and discouraged from attending. For many reasons but mainly because of the academic overload the teachers and school puts on the students. Despite the warnings my child decided to go. My child has gone from a happy, spirited, passionate about learning student to an anxious, sleep deprived, and I hate school student. They have school Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 3:00 pm, practice or extracurricular activities, homework for up to 5-6 hours a night, and then homework on the weekends. Even as adults we understand the importance of work-life balance for our mental and physical well beings. Why do we expect our children to endure such stress and anxiety? We were once told the school has created a culture of cheaters and I can see why. With the amount of homework they have, students have to rely on each other for answers in order to get the work completed. In addition to the ridiculous amounts of homework, some of the teachers lack the motivation to properly teach students but expect them to perform well on the tests. I think the administration and staff could benefit from reading Beyond Measure: Rescuing an Overscheduled, Overtested, Underestimated Generation and have a different approach in the years to come. High school is suppose to prepare adolescents for their careers and for college. It’s not meant to destroy our children’s well being, self-esteem, and health.

Posted August 29, 2015
I feel that this school is not motivational enough. My experience here was terrible because I felt that they were lacking community support. What I mean by this is that nobody would ask "How was your day?" or "Do you want to hang out with us?" I am a pretty shy girl but usually you would think that people would introduce themselves but nope. Not one person walked up to me and said "Hi." and yet I have introduced myself many times. I do understand that there's the Jocks, Rednecks, and popular groups but it shouldn't be that way. I feel that this school is too stuck up for me.

Maria Carrillo High School 3

Posted April 05, 2015
This school is academically challenging and if you don't have the motivation to succeed then this school won't work for you. I am taking AP classes, as well as junior colleges, and work about 30 hours a week. I have a 4.0, however because of the ridiculous work load I have to deal with and the 3-4 hours of homework I have a night, I am near my point of breaking. This school pushes you so far, and if you're not strong enough, it's going to go against it's purpose and you will lose motivation. If I miss one class I have a mental breakdown because I'm afraid I won't be able to catch up. Many teachers say "no excuses" even if you have strep or you're throwing up. DO NOT ATTEND THIS SCHOOL UNLESS YOU'RE FULL AWARE OF THE WORK LOAD. I do wish my parents had sent me to another school, however I hope that college next year is survivable with the little people skills I made this year. I mean yeah cool I can solve for the standard deviation and confidence interval, but how exactly do I file a loan for all the college I'll have to pay next year? Thanks for the real life advice carrillo, doubt I'll need that Pythagorean theorem.

Posted March 28, 2015
As a parent I believe our children need to graduate from High School with people skills, finance skills, healthy memories, effective literacy, learning techniques. Most importantly they need to experience what it feels like to effectively communicate with themselves and their surroundings positively. I took my kid out of this school not only because they were prejudiced and treated wrongly but because we did not even receive any compassion, understanding from the principle. The way they were being taught was so unsatisfactory and stupid that I couldn't believe my eyes. The information taught is not enough for a child to pursue a career in their desired field in the future. They focus too much on English and Math and not enough on psychology, true history, art, communication and manners. Least classy school, I dont recommend it.

Maria Carrillo High School 5

Posted March 19, 2015
I'm finishing up my senior year and graduating with a 4.0 gpa (which doesn't even get me ranked in the top 10%). As far as AP classes go, don't complain if they give you tons of work to do; they're supposed to be the equivalent of a college class. If you can't handle it, don't sign up for them. As far as academic classes go, they are NOWHERE near as difficult as AP classes. They have a much smaller workload with a slower pace. For people who struggle with their classes, you need to take some initiative. If you ask a teacher, they can get you a list of peer tutors or tell you when tutoring hours are. Lastly, advocacy (homeroom) is there for a reason. If you're struggling, you can go ask a teacher for help. It's not impossible to stay afloat. The heavy workload is there for a reason. Imagine how much better prepared you are for the culture shock of college when you've already seen a glimpse of it. Sure, there are some bad teachers here. But in four years, I've only had one truly horrible teacher. I resent the fact that I've had to deal with him, but you'll experience a bad teacher anywhere. There is no perfect school, but I think that Carrillo tries its absolute best, as should you.

Posted June 19, 2014
This is a white trash school. Terrible administration, unfriendly kids. If you want to do well, you will have to have to be self-motivated because no one can or will help you. Montgomery isn't that much better though, so if you live in the district, I feel truly sorry for you.

Posted March 26, 2014
If you are choosing between schools, this is probably not a good school to pick. We've experienced a lot of teachers here and while some are very good, most are terrible. This problem stems from the schools leadership. The principle is one of the most arrogant people you will ever meet and is obviously not involved in communicating with parents or teachers. If he were, there would be better organization and accountability in the teaching ranks. Same class, different teachers, different agendas. Doesn't make sense. The athletic program is even worse. They have 2 AD's yet neither can organize a sports program that promotes communication, good coaching, or care for all of the programs. One AD is an arrogant know it all and the other tries to hide from any work. This has to be the worst all around athletic program in Santa Rosa. A friend of ours is in the Carrillo district and never even attempted to have their kids attend that school. They are fairly hooked up in the school community and knew what the problems would be. I literally believe that the top people at the school are coasting their way to a paycheck. I wasn't surprised to see all of these bad reviews. When is change?

Maria Carrillo High School 3

Posted January 15, 2014
Our child is extremely strong academically and has been able to thrive in this school's conventional approach so that suited us well. In general, the teachers have been good, though some seem to teach the students to do things mechanically rather than really understanding, but ones like that are in the minority. The band program continues to be strong. The one drastic weekness is the leadership in the administration - in our opinion have been unhelpful and demonstrated astonishingly poor judgment, hence the low leadership score we gave.

Maria Carrillo High School 2

Posted August 11, 2012
I attended this school for 3 and a half years. I had many troubles with math and never got further than I thought I would. I had only one teacher that was a great help for me throughout my whole high school career. The teachers are mostly rude and the campus student body was very rude in accepting me as a homosexual student. All in all, the school, the teachers, the administration spend too much time trying to help kids that don't need it and give all the bad attention to the kids who don't need it.

Maria Carrillo High School 2

Posted March 07, 2012
Even had a consoler grag that good students are afraid to miss a day sick because they are sick and afraid of falling behind. Sham on you fro creating this enviornment. 25% of first year algebra students fail. Yet the school takes no responsibility. Once a kid falls behind or has a bad week, forget it. They get demotivated and are labeled as either not having the ability or are lazy. Unless you are in creative arts, they have no desire to create a well rounded education. Three hours of home work nightly? Way too much if you have any outside activities. Good schools and good teachers can create good results with a reasonable work load. Poor schools and poor teachers need to use a high work load and take some responsability to help motivate not demean and demotivate.

Maria Carrillo High School
6975 Montecito Boulevard, Santa Rosa, CA  95409-2787
Last modified Maria Carrillo High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.