Santa Rosa, CA
Students enrolled: 1,599

Posted April 05, 2015
This school is academically challenging and if you don't have the motivation to succeed then this school won't work for you. I am taking AP classes, as well as junior colleges, and work about 30 hours a week. I have a 4.0, however because of the ridiculous work load I have to deal with and the 3-4 hours of homework I have a night, I am near my point of breaking. This school pushes you so far, and if you're not strong enough, it's going to go against it's purpose and you will lose motivation. If I miss one class I have a mental breakdown because I'm afraid I won't be able to catch up. Many teachers say "no excuses" even if you have strep or you're throwing up. DO NOT ATTEND THIS SCHOOL UNLESS YOU'RE FULL AWARE OF THE WORK LOAD. I do wish my parents had sent me to another school, however I hope that college next year is survivable with the little people skills I made this year. I mean yeah cool I can solve for the standard deviation and confidence interval, but how exactly do I file a loan for all the college I'll have to pay next year? Thanks for the real life advice carrillo, doubt I'll need that Pythagorean theorem.

Posted March 28, 2015
As a parent I believe our children need to graduate from High School with people skills, finance skills, healthy memories, effective literacy, learning techniques. Most importantly they need to experience what it feels like to effectively communicate with themselves and their surroundings positively. I took my kid out of this school not only because they were prejudiced and treated wrongly but because we did not even receive any compassion, understanding from the principle. The way they were being taught was so unsatisfactory and stupid that I couldn't believe my eyes. The information taught is not enough for a child to pursue a career in their desired field in the future. They focus too much on English and Math and not enough on psychology, true history, art, communication and manners. Least classy school, I dont recommend it.

Maria Carrillo High School 5

Posted March 19, 2015
I'm finishing up my senior year and graduating with a 4.0 gpa (which doesn't even get me ranked in the top 10%). As far as AP classes go, don't complain if they give you tons of work to do; they're supposed to be the equivalent of a college class. If you can't handle it, don't sign up for them. As far as academic classes go, they are NOWHERE near as difficult as AP classes. They have a much smaller workload with a slower pace. For people who struggle with their classes, you need to take some initiative. If you ask a teacher, they can get you a list of peer tutors or tell you when tutoring hours are. Lastly, advocacy (homeroom) is there for a reason. If you're struggling, you can go ask a teacher for help. It's not impossible to stay afloat. The heavy workload is there for a reason. Imagine how much better prepared you are for the culture shock of college when you've already seen a glimpse of it. Sure, there are some bad teachers here. But in four years, I've only had one truly horrible teacher. I resent the fact that I've had to deal with him, but you'll experience a bad teacher anywhere. There is no perfect school, but I think that Carrillo tries its absolute best, as should you.

Posted June 19, 2014
This is a white trash school. Terrible administration, unfriendly kids. If you want to do well, you will have to have to be self-motivated because no one can or will help you. Montgomery isn't that much better though, so if you live in the district, I feel truly sorry for you.

Posted March 26, 2014
If you are choosing between schools, this is probably not a good school to pick. We've experienced a lot of teachers here and while some are very good, most are terrible. This problem stems from the schools leadership. The principle is one of the most arrogant people you will ever meet and is obviously not involved in communicating with parents or teachers. If he were, there would be better organization and accountability in the teaching ranks. Same class, different teachers, different agendas. Doesn't make sense. The athletic program is even worse. They have 2 AD's yet neither can organize a sports program that promotes communication, good coaching, or care for all of the programs. One AD is an arrogant know it all and the other tries to hide from any work. This has to be the worst all around athletic program in Santa Rosa. A friend of ours is in the Carrillo district and never even attempted to have their kids attend that school. They are fairly hooked up in the school community and knew what the problems would be. I literally believe that the top people at the school are coasting their way to a paycheck. I wasn't surprised to see all of these bad reviews. When is change?

Posted January 15, 2014
Our child is extremely strong academically and has been able to thrive in this school's conventional approach so that suited us well. In general, the teachers have been good, though some seem to teach the students to do things mechanically rather than really understanding, but ones like that are in the minority. The band program continues to be strong. The one drastic weekness is the leadership in the administration - in our opinion have been unhelpful and demonstrated astonishingly poor judgment, hence the low leadership score we gave.

Maria Carrillo High School 2

Posted August 11, 2012
I attended this school for 3 and a half years. I had many troubles with math and never got further than I thought I would. I had only one teacher that was a great help for me throughout my whole high school career. The teachers are mostly rude and the campus student body was very rude in accepting me as a homosexual student. All in all, the school, the teachers, the administration spend too much time trying to help kids that don't need it and give all the bad attention to the kids who don't need it.

Maria Carrillo High School 2

Posted March 07, 2012
Even had a consoler grag that good students are afraid to miss a day sick because they are sick and afraid of falling behind. Sham on you fro creating this enviornment. 25% of first year algebra students fail. Yet the school takes no responsibility. Once a kid falls behind or has a bad week, forget it. They get demotivated and are labeled as either not having the ability or are lazy. Unless you are in creative arts, they have no desire to create a well rounded education. Three hours of home work nightly? Way too much if you have any outside activities. Good schools and good teachers can create good results with a reasonable work load. Poor schools and poor teachers need to use a high work load and take some responsability to help motivate not demean and demotivate.

Posted July 03, 2011
I am a parent of a recent graduate who is a good student but struggled at the school. This school is very "in the box" if you have a student who doesn't fit the "I am very disciplined and work very hard mode" then this is probably not the school for your child. There is not a lot of support or understanding for students that don't fit their mold. Some of the academic classes are taught at AP class level and some classes are taught at college level. This may be a good thing for the upper 5-10% of students but not for the remaining. Previous responses were correct the survey classes are for the behavioral kids. Very disappointed, my youngest will not be attending high school here. The only thing that saved my student was the advocacy teacher-most of the other teachers could have cared less. Forget about the counselors-they are too overworked and not very helpful. This is public school and unless we vote for more taxes to help it will only get worse. :(

Maria Carrillo High School 0

Posted October 04, 2009
Maria Carillo provides a solid and challenging academic education and has many high quality, caring teachers. The drama department and the cross country/track teams are fantastic. MCHS has been very effective at preparing my own kids for a brilliant college carreer. After four years at MCHS, my children successfully got into top colleges. Thank you MCHS!

Maria Carrillo High School
6975 Montecito Boulevard, Santa Rosa, CA  95409
Last modified Maria Carrillo High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Maria Carrillo High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top