Mattie Washburn Elementary School 4

Posted August 17, 2013
The school and teacher have been very helpful with my son who has Autism. Only thing that bothers me is not enough support for kids who are having problems with a subject. Will not give help until they fall behind.

Posted April 30, 2013
Mattie Washburn is great! My son went to KinderSkor, Kindergarten and going into first grade later this year. The principal cares and Marci Cook is the most amazing teacher who really knows how to reach her students and loves what she does. The diversity of this school also integrates kids into the real world. I am genuinely impressed with the caliber of this public school.

Posted February 28, 2013
Mattie is a great school with teachers who care. My son is in Marci Cooks class and she is a prenominal woman and teacher. The school takes care in each student. My son has received an excellent education at this school.

Posted February 27, 2012
I am currently a high school senior and have been in the Windsor Unified School District from K-12. I attended Mattie 12 years ago and still have fond memories of wonderful teachers, librarians, and other staff members. This year I have been back to Mattie where I volunteer a few times a week in one of the kindergarten classes, and it is just as I remember. Students are surrounded by staff members who are there specifically to cater to the needs of the kindergarten and 1st graders. Individualized attention is paid to every student to help them achieve what they are capable of and beyond. When a student falls behind a teacher or other staff member will help them to catch up and understand what is being taught. Classes are organized and exciting for the students and many have told me that they like school and are sad when it is a weekend or break. I enjoy spending my time here and seeing how these great teachers are helping teach a future generation of our society.

Mattie Washburn Elementary School 1

Posted February 20, 2012
Poor academic expectations, apathetic staff, dirty school grounds. This school could be much better than it is.

Posted February 20, 2012
My experience with this school is that it celebrates mediocrity. My child's classroom is disorganized, dirty, and unstructured. I have spoken with the teacher, but the teacher seems to think that it is normal. Further, the homework is often hastily assembled, with some elements of the weekly work consistently missing. The school grounds are dirty; littered with broken glass, debris, and vandalism. Sadly, these children do not have a gym or multi-purpose room in which to play during cool or rainy weather. Additionally, the hot lunch program is abysmal; most food entrees are simply re-heated hotdogs or pizza selections. If this is an example of quality education in California, it is evident the the bar of expectation is set quite low.

Posted February 06, 2012
Very impressed! Being new to the area and the school district, my wife and I researched several schools, both public and private and decided to send our 1st grader to Mattie. Great Decision! The staff are very well prepared and enthusiastic about every child's success. We're looking forward to sending our younger son there as well. Keep up the good work, Mattie, and thank you for your continued support.

Posted January 27, 2012
I have been a teacher at Mattie Washburn Elementary for six years. I have taught both Kindergarten and First Grade, and without any hesitation I will say that ALL of the teachers, staff, support staff, yard duties, bus drivers, etc. care about the students, and each other. When we are not planning and sharing curriculum with one another, we are preparing lessons that will engage all types of learners in our classroom. We strive for academic excellence, and we make sure that every student leaves Mattie Washburn with a positive attitude toward school, and a strong educational foundation.

Posted November 04, 2010
My 5 yo goes there now, and I have to say, I am not impressed. I hate that there are several access points to the school, one side has a large entry to a park, which is creepy since there isn't a gate there. That worries me with very small children with a ratio of 550 students to 6 yard duties. The yard duties that are Spanish speaking do not do as well as the English speaking yard duties, as they do not intervene often enough. I was told by a yard duty (Hispanic) when I witnessed three Hispanic boys bullying a disabled girl, "they do that every day". As if that was an acceptable answer, so I intervened and then called the principal myself. It was very upsetting. My daughter complains of children saying bad words and being very mean. Not too impressed, I must say.Contemplating homeschooling instead

Posted May 26, 2010
There are some wonderful teachers here, but there are some problems with the way the school is run. Peer bullying, students cursing and acting out, and low academic standards seem rampant. Yard duty employees at times seem downright mean to the children for no apparent reason. Many parents pulled their children out of the district. Check test scores and demographics, too.

Mattie Washburn Elementary School
75 Pleasant Avenue, Santa Rosa, CA  95403
Last modified Mattie Washburn Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-1
Mattie Washburn Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top