Bad
Good

Mattie Washburn Elementary School 4

Posted March 14, 2016
We are so pleased with Mattie Washburn Elem School. Coming from out of town we were unsure how this transition would be for our child and she has thrived in this environment. The teachers are caring, loving, and dedicated to her learning. They have helped her grow academically and socially and have been such a great support for her. She loves everyone at this school and so do we. They are not just concerned with what she knows now, but how they can help her expand what she has learned and take it to the next level, challenge her and also reinforce the areas she needs more help in. The teachers work so well together as a team, too! The kids a Mattie respect each other and care for each other. If there is ever a time where someone is made to feel bad or bullied, etc the other kids help support everyone involved and the teachers defuse the situation immediately and are proactive in their approach to bullying, etc. We are very very pleased!

Posted June 05, 2015
We had child that went here who was way ahead on his reading. We approached the teacher to ask if we could cater his reading assignments to challenge him. The teacher told us that we didn't want our child to be too far ahead of his classmates. I was floored. How are we supposed to embrace and encourage excellence in this country if this is the education we offer to our children? Unbelievable. The front office staff at this school are horribly rude and unfriendly. I could get very specific, but I won't. I would just encourage you to try and find an alternative to sending your child here. If you are okay with mediocrity, cranky staff, and teachers unwilling to challenge your children in the strengths they have, then you have found the perfect school for your child! Otherwise, don't send your child here.

Posted April 28, 2015
This was my first school i went to and all the teachers i had should not be teachers because they dont help kids who dont understand what the rest of the class does they favor kids and , they dont care about your problems they bully the students ive ran out of the class room crying at least 3 times the 2 years i went there. i think it's a disgusting school.

Posted March 06, 2015
We had a horrible experience here. Poor academic expectations, extremely rude faculty and staff. For an elementary school that is for the younger grades, K-1, we expected a more warm and loving environment, but experienced exactly the opposite. Our child was bullied. When approaching the teachers, staff, and even principal we had no response. Nothing positive to say about this school. Couldn't get out of this school fast enough.

Mattie Washburn Elementary School 4

Posted August 17, 2013
The school and teacher have been very helpful with my son who has Autism. Only thing that bothers me is not enough support for kids who are having problems with a subject. Will not give help until they fall behind.

Posted April 30, 2013
Mattie Washburn is great! My son went to KinderSkor, Kindergarten and going into first grade later this year. The principal cares and Marci Cook is the most amazing teacher who really knows how to reach her students and loves what she does. The diversity of this school also integrates kids into the real world. I am genuinely impressed with the caliber of this public school.

Posted February 28, 2013
Mattie is a great school with teachers who care. My son is in Marci Cooks class and she is a prenominal woman and teacher. The school takes care in each student. My son has received an excellent education at this school.

Posted February 27, 2012
I am currently a high school senior and have been in the Windsor Unified School District from K-12. I attended Mattie 12 years ago and still have fond memories of wonderful teachers, librarians, and other staff members. This year I have been back to Mattie where I volunteer a few times a week in one of the kindergarten classes, and it is just as I remember. Students are surrounded by staff members who are there specifically to cater to the needs of the kindergarten and 1st graders. Individualized attention is paid to every student to help them achieve what they are capable of and beyond. When a student falls behind a teacher or other staff member will help them to catch up and understand what is being taught. Classes are organized and exciting for the students and many have told me that they like school and are sad when it is a weekend or break. I enjoy spending my time here and seeing how these great teachers are helping teach a future generation of our society.

Posted February 20, 2012
Poor academic expectations, apathetic staff, dirty school grounds. This school could be much better than it is.

Mattie Washburn Elementary School 2

Posted February 20, 2012
My experience with this school is that it celebrates mediocrity. My child's classroom is disorganized, dirty, and unstructured. I have spoken with the teacher, but the teacher seems to think that it is normal. Further, the homework is often hastily assembled, with some elements of the weekly work consistently missing. The school grounds are dirty; littered with broken glass, debris, and vandalism. Sadly, these children do not have a gym or multi-purpose room in which to play during cool or rainy weather. Additionally, the hot lunch program is abysmal; most food entrees are simply re-heated hotdogs or pizza selections. If this is an example of quality education in California, it is evident the the bar of expectation is set quite low.

Mattie Washburn Elementary School
75 Pleasant Avenue, Santa Rosa, CA  95403-1130
Last modified Mattie Washburn Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-1