Santa Ynez, CA
Students enrolled: 1,015

Santa Ynez Valley Union High School 3

Posted February 09, 2012
Honors classes are too hard. REgular classes too easy. emphasis is on the super bright not on merely bright kids. Safety is too lax, even through surroundings are very safe

Santa Ynez Valley Union High School 1

Posted May 01, 2008
Classes offered are easy and ineffective, 80% of students do not apply themselves and do to leniant grading on part of the teachers the classes are all easily passable with minimal effort, with the exception of AP classes which are the only classes that should be offered at this school.

Santa Ynez Valley Union High School 5

Posted September 05, 2007
The Staff is Awesome, the administration is OK, and the overall feel on campus is a good one. Recent test scores show Santa Ynez is deserving as Santa Barbara county's best high school

Santa Ynez Valley Union High School 3

Posted February 24, 2007
The school is comparably safe for Santa Barbara county. Lots of teenage drivers, the parking lot could use supervision. Overall, I liked the Principal, the counselors, and the dedicated faculty except for one nightmare teacher.

Posted November 13, 2006
Pleased that my child attends SYHS; that advanced placement courses are available; and that there is good sports program.

Posted April 24, 2006
Santa Ynez is a great school. I attended there my freshman year but was forced to move. I miss the school a lot, and have made the decision to come back next year, even though it means me driving myself 30 minutes to school everyday. This school meets the needs for the students, and still keeps it enjoyable.

Santa Ynez Valley Union High School 2

Posted April 10, 2006
My son was a student at SYHS for 2 years. While he had 2 or 3 exceptionally wonderful teachers, the school was a major disappointment. There were several teachers who were obviously incompetent, and the school would do nothing about it. Their rules are rigid, their discipline sometimes ludicrous. After 2 years, I reluctantly allowed him to attend another school where he is excelling.

Posted April 02, 2006
Rural student body. Lacking variety in foreign language dept. Full range of athletics, music, art & drama. Somewhat cliquish and aggie. That said the school is definitely Safe. Not at all diverse...mostly white and hispanic. Closed to foreign exchange students unless with Rotary. Bus service is good. Has driver training after school, but no simulators. Not much remarkable about the school. My son says he knows everyone there now and wants to go to a bigger school. I can see his point since he's been with the same kids since 9th grade. Overall I'd say it's fine. Mas or menos.

Santa Ynez Valley Union High School 2

Posted August 15, 2005
I thought the Highschool had average academic standards, while excelling in the availability of sports programs and extracurricular activity. However it always seemed to be far more concerned with keeping a good profile than truly enriching the lives of its students. At this point in time I would not send my children there if I had my choice. Good teachers,yet I just dont have much confidence in the implementation of discipline there. Fernando T.

Santa Ynez Valley Union High School 1

Posted August 25, 2003
Even though I am a parent & i as well attend the S.Y. High School, I feel that our school still isn't safe.

Santa Ynez Valley Union High School
2975 East Highway 246, Santa Ynez, CA  93460
Last modified Santa Ynez Valley Union High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Santa Ynez Valley Union High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top