Saint Andrew's Episcopal School
Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 16, 2015
Our teachers make it a point to know their kids as individuals. They work very close with them during the year, but also maintain relationships after the child has progressed on. These relationships are so crucial to helping our kids learn and thrive.

Posted July 16, 2015
My child feels incredibly special and part of a great team at Saint Andrew's. It's not an argument of "why do I have to go to school!!" The faculty and staff have always been supportive and responsive on all items.

Saint Andrew's Episcopal School 1

Posted July 03, 2015
The previous good reviews for SAES are for a school that no longer exists due to a considerable number of staff changes and poor admissions decisions on new students. Unfortunately some of the new teachers and administrators are terrible. Our student received a new math teacher in 2014 that by all accounts cannot teach math. Nearly every student in his class had to seek the help of a tutor. The head of the middle school was totally ineffective in dealing with any student situations from bullying to disruptive students in class and universally disliked by the students. She is now leaving the school and a temporary head has been hired. With school tuition recently hiked another 2k to $24k/year, this is not a school we could recommend to anyone as you will be taking your chances with the teaching staff and that's just not acceptable with tuition this expensive. The school community also is not what it used to be and the "Character Counts" motto seems to be just that, a motto, nothing more. The school seems to have more than its fair share of students with personality issues and "special" needs, not diagnosed ones such as dyslexia but kids who do not get along well with other children. So if you have kids who do, it can be difficult for them to find other happy, normal students to be friends with. Finally, while the school PE teachers are fantastic,teachers and wonderful people, the athletic coaches are not and do not teach sportsmanship or develop team camaraderie. We have heard from that this once was a wonderful school but it no longer is for many reasons -- academic, social and athletic.

Posted January 30, 2015
We feel very grateful to be part of the St. Andrew s school community. The dedicated teachers and staff quickly get to know all the kids, so there s a nice sense of belonging. Classroom size is perfect for group interaction and individual attention. It s cool to be smart and kind to others. There's a mix of families from various cultures. The new Head of School and the Head of Middle School are experienced, approachable, eloquent, thoughtful, and forward-thinking. The homework load is reasonable, leaving time for other activities. Values like service, gratitude and respect are emphasized, and there seems to be a genuine openness toward different religions and points of view. There's a no-cut policy for after-school sports, so kids can give different sports a try. The athletics staff are experienced and working to ensure that competition is balanced with collaboration and enjoyment. Music, art and technology provide opportunities for creativity and sparking interests. Service field trips and annual trips are memorable highlights. The lunches are healthy and tasty. Our child is thriving, enjoying each day, and getting an excellent foundation for high school and beyond.

Posted December 11, 2014
I currently attend Saint Andrew's Episcopal School, and I have been there since kindergarten. It academically challenges you and prepares you for high school. The teachers are very experienced and if you are having a difficult time in a class, you can always receive assistance. They genuinely want you to succeed and encourage you to do your best. We have a very small class size compared to other private schools in the Bay Area, 18:1. My classmates are friendly, respectful, and easy to be friends with. The tuition at Saint Andrew's seems extremely expensive and overpriced. This money does go to having the latest technologies in the classroom, providing MacBook Airs, having delicious hot lunches, and having a beautiful campus, which are perks. There is not a large homework load, but Saint Andrew's has very rigorous and academically challenging classes. Their athletics and music programs are wonderful. The community is very close-knit. Keeping this in mind, each school has its strengths and weaknesses. Not every school will be the right fit for you or your child.

Posted August 25, 2013
Saint Andrew's is more than just a school, it is a community of friends. I have 3 children who LOVE going there everyday and love their teachers. The teaching standards are excellent and the teachers are all very highly qualified. You can see their bios online. Over the past 2 years I have seen each of my children grow and develop emotionally, socially and intellectually there. This school really is the best school in this area!

Posted July 18, 2013
Our family is thrilled with Saint Andrew's! Our son just completed the Pre-K program and will be entering Kindergarten in a few weeks. We loved the class size and student to teacher ratio (20 students / 3 teachers.) The teachers communicated regularly and provided supplemental tools for us to use at home to complement what he was learning in class. The parent community was very welcoming.

Posted January 06, 2013
Excellent move for our son! We moved from another private K-8 school in the area to St. Andrew's in 6th grade. The larger class size (approx 60) in the middle school at SA is an important milestone for young teens. A good step up as high school quickly approaches. My son is now in 7th grade and I can honestly say I do not have one complaint! He is thriving academically and socially. I believe the prepration for high school is outstanding. Also, the character building at St. Andrew's makes for a warm and caring environment. He has formed lifetime bonds with some of the teachers and that is priceless. We could not be more pleased with our decision to move to St. Andrew's!

Posted January 14, 2012
As a public school teacher, I realize my two St. Andrew's children are benefiting from the "whole child" environment that they would otherwise not experience. My middle school student doesn't just get a single enrichment (elective) class per grading period but receives instruction in multiple enrichment classes. The attention they receive in the guaranteed small classes allows the teachers to identify areas of need, improvement and strength - and those teachers communicate this information well. Planned teacher conferences don't just occur in the lower school (Pre-K through 5th) - but all the way through 8th grade, ensuring continued communication throughout the school year. Small classes allow the teachers to plan and execute more hands-on and in-depth lessons - in a class of 35, most of these lessons would not be possible. The administration, with their open door policy, are accessible - they are professional in collaborating on solutions to issues that will inevitably occur during the course of a child's education, whether social or academic, the solutions are always focused on ensuring the child's success.

Saint Andrew's Episcopal School 1

Posted January 12, 2012
Our son was in Saint Andrew s for 2 years. Frankly speaking, the curriculum was disappointing. I cannot see the difference between SA and public schools. Top public schools are definitely better than SA, especially in Math. Some teachers are under-qualified. There was a multiple choice question in a homework asking what the opposite word of fresh water was. My son chose salty water which was the correct answer. The teacher said used water was correct. I really couldn t believe my eyes! As for the character development part, they didn t mention it anymore to students after kindergarten. I would say the proportion of problematic kids in the school is higher than what I expected, provided it is a school who claims they emphasize character development and discipline. Teachers and the admin are not capable of handling problematic kids. We then decided to switch to a better school and let the school knew about our decision, though the administration did ask us to stay.

Saint Andrew's Episcopal School
13601 Saratoga Avenue, Saratoga, CA  95070
Last modified Saint Andrew's Episcopal School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Saint Andrew's Episcopal School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top