Posted April 03, 2014
Yes, there is a lot of homework in the upper grades. My daughter is in the middle school, and it seems like there is always a project due, a paper due in language arts, a test to prepare for in Social Studies, a paper due in Spanish, a video due for something else. Every day something. But, in the end, I think the kids learn to balance homework with their other activities, and I think they are becoming prepared for high school. when I hear about kids in other MPUSD middle schools barely being asked to write papers, I'm grateful that they are getting that experience at ISM. I agree with the student below that the new grading system is baffling and somewhat annoying to read. Some teachers do not update it promptly, so there is not the quick feedback I'd like. but, I think that comes with grading a bunch of papers. if they just assigned simple mindless worksheets, than everything would be easy to grade and understand, and homework wouldn't take as long to do. But the kids would learn less. A good group of parents and a good vibe. I can see why many more families apply each year than there are available spots. There are NOT a lot of better schools out there in this area.

International School Of Monterey 2

Posted January 12, 2014
The teachers and students at this school are caring, and friendly but, the homework loads are extreme. I have about 3 hours of homework a night. I don't do anything but homework anymore since the school became an IB school. The IB program implements a weird grading system that is difficult to understand and adjust to. Overall, there are many better schools out there.

International School Of Monterey 1

Posted December 27, 2013
This school is terrible and the teachers are uneducational and at recess or break the teachers or the person watching the kids doesnt pay attention and my son always gets hurt and all he does is text and talks and kids always get hurt. Homework lab is the worst and my son never gets his homework done and we pay alot just to have our kids getting yelled at and the after school teachers joke around with each other and dont pay attention

Posted November 25, 2013
My son has attended ISM for four years, while it may not be a good fit for everyone; it has been a great fit for us. The international perspective that the children are challenged with is not found in public schools. What Public school do you know of that a child can Surf as part of the curriculum (6th grade) or contact the United Arab Emeritus regarding a desalination project (5th grade)? Family Share is what is requested, it is not required. But in my opinion how could you not contribute. This is not a school that you are forced to attend. I appreciate the International School of Monterey. It is helping my son love learning. You can t put a price on that

International School Of Monterey 1

Posted October 21, 2013
Had great hopes for this school but it was a HUGE disappointment academically. In four years, we had ONE pretty good teacher. Math and Spanish were a disaster. Parents very engaged but teachers are mostly below what you would find in a good regular public school. You are required to pay an annual 'gift' for their special programs and services but frankly they deliver less than a public school. Do your child a favor and don't buy the hype. An unhappy parent.

Posted August 24, 2013
My daughter is a student at ISM and she and I could not be happier. We both love the friendly caring community of parents and staff at ISM. This is my daughter's second year at the school and the change I have seen in her is amazing. She now looks forward to school and comes home excited about what she has learned. She talks about what she has learned, how much she likes her teachers, and what they are going to do next as a class. She has made some really good friends at this school and the school did a great job making her feel accepted as a new kid last year. Having classes like Spanish and PE as well as an stimulating curriculum is such a luxury compared to other schools in the area. The school is a safe, caring, environment and we could not be happier.

Posted August 23, 2013
My children attend the International School of Monterey and we love it. Mainly because of the ISM community of families and the great staff. It's a group of parents, kids and teachers that really care and have a multicultural approach to teaching and view of the world. Do I think its perfect - no, but it is the best thing that has happened to our children's education and the one thing as a parent that I feel confident we are doing right. It's a tough job to raise kids and make sure they are educated in a way that makes them prepared to be successful in this diverse world we live in. The International School of Monterey is well run and my boys are thrilled to go to school every morning. I am a very happy ISM parent.

Posted August 23, 2013
A strong ethos of engagement on the part of the parents, a distinctly global worldview on the part of the teachers, and a warm, accepting culture among the students drew us to ISM nine years ago. Several administrators and many teachers later, we remain very happy with the school and feel honored to be part of the ISM community. Several stand-out teachers have deeply impacted our children--academically, socially, and, importantly, helping them become confident and caring critical thinkers, willing to share their opinions. Group projects, though sometimes a logistical nightmare for parents, have given my kids team work skills. The PE classes have given them confidence in their bodies. And classmates have become close friends. I can't rate ISM vis a vis other schools, but I can say that we remain happy and active ISM parents, happy to entrust our children each weekday to the teachers, administrators, and students.

Posted August 23, 2013
Our kids are in their 3rd year at ISM as 4th and 2nd graders. We are grateful to have a school with a unique, whole-child, inquiry based curriculum and be a part of a warm and diverse community that is ISM. The high level of commitment on the part of the Teachers, Staff, and Parents makes ISM a great school for our kids to grow and learn in. I consider it to be academically rigorous but fulfilling at the same time. Students are challenged by an interdisciplinary curriculum that weaves content areas together and connects concepts (e.g., Spanish with Visual Arts and Math with Language Arts). We are thrilled to be a part of one of the best schools on the Monterey Peninsula!

Posted August 07, 2013
This school may not be for everyone, but it s been perfect for our family. As a part of the ISM Community for the past 8 years, we ve never once regretted the decision to enroll in the lottery. My child has thrived in the inquiry-based academic environment and has been rewarded with teachers who are interesting, challenging, and supportive. Any issues we ve had were resolved with a mutually respectful dialogue. Teacher turnover can be disruptive, but the influx of new ideas and talent can have a very positive impact on student learning as well. The curriculum has changed, streamlined, and strengthened over recent years with the adoption of the IB profile. Being an active part of the Community makes a difference in the overall experience-- I make it my duty to get to know my child s teachers personally, offer resource and volunteer support (I work full time, but choose to volunteer, a lot), provide program feedback to administration when requested, and financially contribute to allow the continuation of special programs (arts, ). ISM has a wonderful core of parent-guardian volunteers that contribute an enormous amount of energy in support of the students, teachers, and school.

International School Of Monterey
1720 Yosemite Street, Seaside, CA  93955
Last modified International School Of Monterey is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
International School Of Monterey Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 55 reviews.