Public charter
Seaside, CA

International School Of Monterey 4

Posted August 19, 2015
Many parents are fooled by stupid things their kids say, this is a fantastic school don't be discouraged by ratings by angry parents...to angry parents your kids aren't going to be smart if they don't study. ISM isn't perfect but what school is. Most teachers are good at their job, especially in the lower grades. The staff works hard to make children learn but if they want to goof around there's only so much they can do. The recess staff makes sure the kids don't get hurt, to a fault maybe, sometimes too over protective. The homework lab is alright, but you aren't forced to do your homework, and most kids just goof around with their friends. The after school program isn't the best, they often yell at the kids but they aren't teachers their special day care workers, some are good at taking care of kids, but the ladies working at the after school care often are just on their phones. The school lunches are terrible, pack your own lunch and the IB program is a joke, and a cliche used way to often. But there are defietly more pros then cons, and one of the best school in the Monterey area

International School Of Monterey 2

Posted July 22, 2015
Teacher's don't listen to student conflict and when confronted by a parent seem to take it out on the student. Principal doesn't listen AT ALL. Kids behavior at the school is terrible. I think the lottery system is a joke. If you are a big donor your kid will get in and the staff will not discipline that child. They will get a way with misbehavior etc. Not fair to the children who want to learn. Teacher's talk down to the kids. They don't seem to be happy. Don't BE FOOLED.

International School Of Monterey
Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted July 22, 2015
I have had my kids at the school for about 6 years now. The teacher's come and go and many are very rude to the students. My kids have been talked down to year after year. I guess one could say this is how it will be in high school so get used to being treated badly. The report card system is terrible. What parent wants a 16 page report card?! No wonder the teachers are crabby. Oh well you can't get a way from this. You just have to encourage your kids yourself because the staff doesn't seem to care like they should. Hope this school year the teachers will try harder or at least "fake it" so the students and parents will be happier.

International School Of Monterey 4

Posted April 03, 2014
Yes, there is a lot of homework in the upper grades. My daughter is in the middle school, and it seems like there is always a project due, a paper due in language arts, a test to prepare for in Social Studies, a paper due in Spanish, a video due for something else. Every day something. But, in the end, I think the kids learn to balance homework with their other activities, and I think they are becoming prepared for high school. when I hear about kids in other MPUSD middle schools barely being asked to write papers, I'm grateful that they are getting that experience at ISM. I agree with the student below that the new grading system is baffling and somewhat annoying to read. Some teachers do not update it promptly, so there is not the quick feedback I'd like. but, I think that comes with grading a bunch of papers. if they just assigned simple mindless worksheets, than everything would be easy to grade and understand, and homework wouldn't take as long to do. But the kids would learn less. A good group of parents and a good vibe. I can see why many more families apply each year than there are available spots. There are NOT a lot of better schools out there in this area.

Posted January 16, 2014
Why was my low rating deleted? Did the staff complain that they were being exposed as the horrible group of people they are? They lie through their teeth about everything. I noticed a ton of the bad reviews just disappeared so the rating shown is entirely false. This is a bad school. Staff pretends to care about children, but truth is they focus on themselves while the children suffer. They always ask for money, and rarely spend it on the kids, but sure treat themselves. Another post had pointed out that they asked parents to treat them to a staff appreciation event, and of course they had that review deleted truly tasteless.

International School Of Monterey 2

Posted January 12, 2014
The teachers and students at this school are caring, and friendly but, the homework loads are extreme. I have about 3 hours of homework a night. I don't do anything but homework anymore since the school became an IB school. The IB program implements a weird grading system that is difficult to understand and adjust to. Overall, there are many better schools out there.

Posted December 27, 2013
This school is terrible and the teachers are uneducational and at recess or break the teachers or the person watching the kids doesnt pay attention and my son always gets hurt and all he does is text and talks and kids always get hurt. Homework lab is the worst and my son never gets his homework done and we pay alot just to have our kids getting yelled at and the after school teachers joke around with each other and dont pay attention

International School Of Monterey 5

Posted November 25, 2013
My son has attended ISM for four years, while it may not be a good fit for everyone; it has been a great fit for us. The international perspective that the children are challenged with is not found in public schools. What Public school do you know of that a child can Surf as part of the curriculum (6th grade) or contact the United Arab Emeritus regarding a desalination project (5th grade)? Family Share is what is requested, it is not required. But in my opinion how could you not contribute. This is not a school that you are forced to attend. I appreciate the International School of Monterey. It is helping my son love learning. You can t put a price on that

Posted October 21, 2013
Had great hopes for this school but it was a HUGE disappointment academically. In four years, we had ONE pretty good teacher. Math and Spanish were a disaster. Parents very engaged but teachers are mostly below what you would find in a good regular public school. You are required to pay an annual 'gift' for their special programs and services but frankly they deliver less than a public school. Do your child a favor and don't buy the hype. An unhappy parent.

International School Of Monterey 5

Posted August 24, 2013
My daughter is a student at ISM and she and I could not be happier. We both love the friendly caring community of parents and staff at ISM. This is my daughter's second year at the school and the change I have seen in her is amazing. She now looks forward to school and comes home excited about what she has learned. She talks about what she has learned, how much she likes her teachers, and what they are going to do next as a class. She has made some really good friends at this school and the school did a great job making her feel accepted as a new kid last year. Having classes like Spanish and PE as well as an stimulating curriculum is such a luxury compared to other schools in the area. The school is a safe, caring, environment and we could not be happier.

International School Of Monterey
1720 Yosemite Street, Seaside, CA  93955
Last modified International School Of Monterey is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
International School Of Monterey Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 64 reviews. Top