Public charter
Seaside, CA

Posted March 02, 2015
great teachers and learning environment but horrible office staff. Very rude! Karen Kushel is not very polite. Other than her everything about the school is great. My son was accepted last year but dealing with the admissions staff was the worst part of the process. Now that he's in, I dont have to deal with that office any more. Good Luck Parents!

International School Of Monterey 4

Posted April 03, 2014
Yes, there is a lot of homework in the upper grades. My daughter is in the middle school, and it seems like there is always a project due, a paper due in language arts, a test to prepare for in Social Studies, a paper due in Spanish, a video due for something else. Every day something. But, in the end, I think the kids learn to balance homework with their other activities, and I think they are becoming prepared for high school. when I hear about kids in other MPUSD middle schools barely being asked to write papers, I'm grateful that they are getting that experience at ISM. I agree with the student below that the new grading system is baffling and somewhat annoying to read. Some teachers do not update it promptly, so there is not the quick feedback I'd like. but, I think that comes with grading a bunch of papers. if they just assigned simple mindless worksheets, than everything would be easy to grade and understand, and homework wouldn't take as long to do. But the kids would learn less. A good group of parents and a good vibe. I can see why many more families apply each year than there are available spots. There are NOT a lot of better schools out there in this area.

Posted January 16, 2014
Why was my low rating deleted? Did the staff complain that they were being exposed as the horrible group of people they are? They lie through their teeth about everything. I noticed a ton of the bad reviews just disappeared so the rating shown is entirely false. This is a bad school. Staff pretends to care about children, but truth is they focus on themselves while the children suffer. They always ask for money, and rarely spend it on the kids, but sure treat themselves. Another post had pointed out that they asked parents to treat them to a staff appreciation event, and of course they had that review deleted truly tasteless.

International School Of Monterey 2

Posted January 12, 2014
The teachers and students at this school are caring, and friendly but, the homework loads are extreme. I have about 3 hours of homework a night. I don't do anything but homework anymore since the school became an IB school. The IB program implements a weird grading system that is difficult to understand and adjust to. Overall, there are many better schools out there.

Posted December 27, 2013
This school is terrible and the teachers are uneducational and at recess or break the teachers or the person watching the kids doesnt pay attention and my son always gets hurt and all he does is text and talks and kids always get hurt. Homework lab is the worst and my son never gets his homework done and we pay alot just to have our kids getting yelled at and the after school teachers joke around with each other and dont pay attention

Posted November 25, 2013
My son has attended ISM for four years, while it may not be a good fit for everyone; it has been a great fit for us. The international perspective that the children are challenged with is not found in public schools. What Public school do you know of that a child can Surf as part of the curriculum (6th grade) or contact the United Arab Emeritus regarding a desalination project (5th grade)? Family Share is what is requested, it is not required. But in my opinion how could you not contribute. This is not a school that you are forced to attend. I appreciate the International School of Monterey. It is helping my son love learning. You can t put a price on that

Posted October 21, 2013
Had great hopes for this school but it was a HUGE disappointment academically. In four years, we had ONE pretty good teacher. Math and Spanish were a disaster. Parents very engaged but teachers are mostly below what you would find in a good regular public school. You are required to pay an annual 'gift' for their special programs and services but frankly they deliver less than a public school. Do your child a favor and don't buy the hype. An unhappy parent.

Posted August 24, 2013
My daughter is a student at ISM and she and I could not be happier. We both love the friendly caring community of parents and staff at ISM. This is my daughter's second year at the school and the change I have seen in her is amazing. She now looks forward to school and comes home excited about what she has learned. She talks about what she has learned, how much she likes her teachers, and what they are going to do next as a class. She has made some really good friends at this school and the school did a great job making her feel accepted as a new kid last year. Having classes like Spanish and PE as well as an stimulating curriculum is such a luxury compared to other schools in the area. The school is a safe, caring, environment and we could not be happier.

Posted August 23, 2013
My children attend the International School of Monterey and we love it. Mainly because of the ISM community of families and the great staff. It's a group of parents, kids and teachers that really care and have a multicultural approach to teaching and view of the world. Do I think its perfect - no, but it is the best thing that has happened to our children's education and the one thing as a parent that I feel confident we are doing right. It's a tough job to raise kids and make sure they are educated in a way that makes them prepared to be successful in this diverse world we live in. The International School of Monterey is well run and my boys are thrilled to go to school every morning. I am a very happy ISM parent.

International School Of Monterey 4

Posted August 23, 2013
A strong ethos of engagement on the part of the parents, a distinctly global worldview on the part of the teachers, and a warm, accepting culture among the students drew us to ISM nine years ago. Several administrators and many teachers later, we remain very happy with the school and feel honored to be part of the ISM community. Several stand-out teachers have deeply impacted our children--academically, socially, and, importantly, helping them become confident and caring critical thinkers, willing to share their opinions. Group projects, though sometimes a logistical nightmare for parents, have given my kids team work skills. The PE classes have given them confidence in their bodies. And classmates have become close friends. I can't rate ISM vis a vis other schools, but I can say that we remain happy and active ISM parents, happy to entrust our children each weekday to the teachers, administrators, and students.

International School Of Monterey
1720 Yosemite Street, Seaside, CA  93955
Last modified International School Of Monterey is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
International School Of Monterey Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 57 reviews. Top