Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

I'm hoping that a few kids that are alone on recess are not being bullied I will definitely be looking into this.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The pre k teacher only choses certain parents to discuss school things with so I'm sure the children are all being treated differently so they probably aren't all learning.

Amount of homework: Disagree

All the children even in pre k should be getting some kind of work so they know what they will be expecting each year.

The pre kindergarten teacher only communicates with few parents. You could be standing there and hear her tell someone something about school but then she doesn't tell you.I've also noticed that on recess there are some kids who are by themselves I'm hoping there is no bullying go on here!

I am very pleased that my daughter no longer attends this school. The lack of communication from the staff and the teacher are what make it an awful school for parents and kids. The K-grade playground area is very tarnished and it should be a health hazard. The school started a grading system for the K-grade that requires the teachers to give very low grades to kids even if they know the material, I guess this is a way to make it seem like they re doing their jobs when they really aren t. (If a kid already knows their material give them what they deserve not what you think they should have). The knee down technique they use with the kids is very crazy, the ground is dirty and germ infested. I can t believe the military gives money to this school for military kids to attend instead of building one for the military children. My daughter started a new school and she loves it, it s a normal school where kids can learn, feel good about going to school and the teachers treat every kid equally.

I have three kids at this school. We have been here for 2 years and have been blessed with amazing teachers. They are high energy and really care about the kids. I am very happy with this school and my kids love it!

I can't recommend this school. Their academic program is severely lacking. Transportation is chaotic. Kids should be either "walkers" or "car riders." Car riders should have a number matching their parents' vehicle, hung from the rear view mirror, allowing for the student to be called out of the crowd when their parent pulls up. There are too many kids in the crosswalks. I saw a young 9-year-old girl dart across the street and almost get run over. Vehicles speed through these "safety crosswalks." The side of the road adjacent to the school should be designated to ONLY car rider parents; lined up on the side of the road, avoiding traffic obstruction. There should be a safety guard directing traffic and guiding children across the road. Allowing parents to openly walk on campus to pick up their kids is a security hazard. A stranger could walk on campus and escort a child out; or parents without custody. Our children can also easily leave on their own. My daughter was in the main office and overheard administrators and a mother discussing her child who left school without anyone's knowledge. Safety isn't a high priority here.

My wife and I enrolled our daughter in Marshall Elementary for Kindergarten this year. The teacher (Ms. Coppin) does not seem to know how to manage a classroom or her teaching time effectively. Several parents have had to volunteer to show up to class to teach reading because Ms. Coppin "doesn't have the time." Additionally, my daughter caught head lice from a fellow student. In fact, several children in her class ended up with lice. The reaction from the school? "If it keeps happening, we'll clean the carpets." The worst part about this school, however, is the poor communication between the administration, teachers, and parents. There have been several instances of surprise events that should have been made known several weeks in advance, the most recent example of which was this morning. My wife dropped our daughter off at school, and was informed that the holiday program is this morning. This is the first that I or my wife had heard of any holiday program, let alone the performance date. Now I m at work at missing my little girl s first school program because the school can t communicate effectively. I can t wait to be done with this school.

My child attended Marshall West last year for K and this year for 1st. The reason I give it two stars is strictly because of the teachers. They deserve 4 stars...same with principal and office staff. They are terrific. I must say though, our experience here has been horrendous. My child is very bright and well behaved and she is pushed aside because of all the "problem" children in her class. There is no academic challenge for her and therefore no achievement because her classroom is so overcrowded that the teacher has to focus on all the other children. Granted it's not the teacher's fault, but I can't let my child's education suffer because the district believes that 30 kids to one teacher is reasonable. I got through last year being very active volunteering and helping out, but this year I just can't sit back and let it all happen again. 1st Grade is the first year children really get into active academics and I need her experience to be a pleasant one. I truly feel horrible saying it because I love the teachers, but my daughter just won't get the education she deserves at marshall.

I don't have an overall issue with the school, but the overall curriculum that I am sure is pushed by the state. I do homework every night with my 5th grader because she comes home without knowing her Math and still she gets good grades in her tests. I know for a fact she does not know what is being thought so how can she get B+ and A's in her tests?

Last modified George C. Marshall Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.