Seaside, CA

Posted December 16, 2014
My wife and I enrolled our daughter in Marshall Elementary for Kindergarten this year. The teacher (Ms. Coppin) does not seem to know how to manage a classroom or her teaching time effectively. Several parents have had to volunteer to show up to class to teach reading because Ms. Coppin "doesn't have the time." Additionally, my daughter caught head lice from a fellow student. In fact, several children in her class ended up with lice. The reaction from the school? "If it keeps happening, we'll clean the carpets." The worst part about this school, however, is the poor communication between the administration, teachers, and parents. There have been several instances of surprise events that should have been made known several weeks in advance, the most recent example of which was this morning. My wife dropped our daughter off at school, and was informed that the holiday program is this morning. This is the first that I or my wife had heard of any holiday program, let alone the performance date. Now I m at work at missing my little girl s first school program because the school can t communicate effectively. I can t wait to be done with this school.

Posted August 18, 2013
My child attended Marshall West last year for K and this year for 1st. The reason I give it two stars is strictly because of the teachers. They deserve 4 stars...same with principal and office staff. They are terrific. I must say though, our experience here has been horrendous. My child is very bright and well behaved and she is pushed aside because of all the "problem" children in her class. There is no academic challenge for her and therefore no achievement because her classroom is so overcrowded that the teacher has to focus on all the other children. Granted it's not the teacher's fault, but I can't let my child's education suffer because the district believes that 30 kids to one teacher is reasonable. I got through last year being very active volunteering and helping out, but this year I just can't sit back and let it all happen again. 1st Grade is the first year children really get into active academics and I need her experience to be a pleasant one. I truly feel horrible saying it because I love the teachers, but my daughter just won't get the education she deserves at marshall.

Posted June 08, 2013
I don't have an overall issue with the school, but the overall curriculum that I am sure is pushed by the state. I do homework every night with my 5th grader because she comes home without knowing her Math and still she gets good grades in her tests. I know for a fact she does not know what is being thought so how can she get B+ and A's in her tests?

George C. Marshall Elementary School 4

Posted March 07, 2013
The best thing about this school is the principals and teachers! It is true that it is unfortunately underfunded which is the same of most California schools. You definitely have to stay on top of your child's education, but that is the same anywhere you go. And for God sake VOLUNTEER and help out w/school activities! I was extremely involved w/the PTA (when it still had good people that were there to HELP the school) and enjoyed my time at Marshall, and so did my children. I disagree w/most of these reviews. I guarantee that most of these parents hadn't dealt w/any school in California before. The WONDERFUL principal at Marshall works countless thankless hours to better the school and is constantly trying to "fix" what the last principal "broke". So my advice, is give Marshall and Marshall West a real chance, and let them prove all this negativity wrong! MWest (K-1st gr) also has an amazing principal! I guess the one thing that should be promising to anyone reading this is, at least the District has finally started doing something right by this school by hiring 2 of the most dedicated principals I've ever had the privilege to work with. Loved our time at Marshall and miss it.

Posted February 08, 2013
The only reason I give this school 2 stars instead of 1 is because of the Principal. He seems to be the only person at this school who has any idea what is going on or trying to make any improvements. My daughter is in Kindergarten here, and if there were no parent volunteers in the classroom on a daily basis, the kids would be running around and not learning anything. Her teacher is the most unprofessional, lazy "educator" I have ever met. Communication is nonexistent, and the classroom is terribly disorganized and messy. I am beyond thrilled that we are moving so my daughter won't have to attend this school for 1st grade.

Posted October 18, 2012
This school to me is below standard as is all the schools in this area. Its is apparent that to obtain a qualify education you must home school or pay for private school. California has failed it's parents and youth. NEVER CUT EDUCATION, you IDIOTS. That only helps the wealthy! My son just transferred from North Carolina and their schools were better! WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT. I am sure they are trying their best, but the issues is plain and simple. There needs to be an adoption of one NATIONAL STANDARD in K-12 Education! You must adopt measures like New Jersey where even the Teachers are tested and bad ones are gone! NO EXCUSES!!! I am having to do the teachers job at home!!!

Posted January 27, 2012
My twins are attending this school in Kinder, I've never been so disappointed. The school lacks discipline, structure, and underfunded. The classroom smells horrible and the kids are coming home with the inclass homework blank. If parents don't volunteer than the teacher can't get the kids to do their work? If I can't get them transferred then I am going to homeschool.

Posted January 23, 2012
My children are currently going to this school. We moved here last month from Texas. I have not found one good trait about this school. Their teacher's classroom is filthy, their is no organization, classes don't start or end at the right times. Kids run a muck. Very disappointed. Hoping to transfer them to another school.

Posted January 13, 2012
This school is underfunded, understaffed, and way overrated- more like a 3, not a 7. I've had it and we will not be returning to this school next year. Caution to other military families- please send your child elsewhere or homeschool. Our school isn't "poor" enough to receive many of the programs offered to other schools in the area. The school suffers because our free lunch program hovers below the 50% that schools needs to get extra help. So we suffer! If you do send your child here, be prepared to spend 10-12 hours a week volunteering so that you can know what's going on in the school. There is no communication and it is VERY disorganized. And be prepared to be one of the 8 people who do all the volunteer work to keep the school afloat.

Posted June 16, 2011
I was very disappointed in this school. As a Monterey Bay native I had high expectations for Marshall. My child had very bad experiences here and we have left the entire district due to the lack of response of the principal and the school board. I would not recommend this school to anyone. The teachers are good for the most part but I just didn't feel that my children were safe there.

George C. Marshall Elementary School
300 Normandy Road, Seaside, CA  93955
Last modified George C. Marshall Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
George C. Marshall Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 56 reviews. Top