Ivy Bound Academy Of Math, Science, And Technology Charter Middle

Charter | 5-8 | 233 students

Our daily curriculum includes the core subjects as well as PE, Art, & Computers

Living in Sherman Oaks

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $525,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,800.

Posted June 12, 2014

This school was the best school I have ever been to. I ve been to this school since fifth grade and I experienced all its changes. All the other schools I have been to were very boring and wouldn t teach well. This school showed me new things. The teachers and staff even know my name. I made a lot of friends here and I have had a lot of memories here too. I couldn t imagine my life without going to this school. I improved on nearly all my subjects. This school made me who I am. And I will never forget about my time here. I Would love to visit the school again when i am in high school and look back at those happy memories. Thank you Ivy Bound for this great experience and all the fun memories. I am off to High School were new friends will be made and new memories will be created. But i will not forget this one school that changed my entire life. This school was just amazing. I am proud to be from this school and thank you.

Posted June 2, 2014

IBA is a great school,we are very glad and proud to had been lucky our son was selected to attend to 5th grade and continue until his last grade in this school.The teachers and office staff are knowledgeable and friendly and inspire you confidence .The school premises gives your child a sense of community and safety the learning contents and metods are high quality and updated with this times.We love IBA!

Posted April 30, 2014

IBA is an amazing school. My daughter has attended the school since 5th grade and will graduate next year. I feel that she has grown so much since attending this school. The principle, teachers and staff are key to her growth. The school is small which is a positive as the staff knows everyone and keep abreast of what is going on at all times. I would recommend IBA as it is the hidden jewel school.

Posted April 30, 2014

This is a good school, my daughter has been there for three years. I feel safe to send my child to school every day and i'm confident that she will get good education. The school will definitely benefit from moving to the bigger building.

Posted April 29, 2014

This is our third year at Ivy Bound. We have two children there one in 5th and one in 7th grade. We choose this school because of its small size and wonderful academic program so that our girls would not get lost in the system. The teachers all specialize in the areas that they teach. They are enthusiastic and make learning interesting. The administration is wonderful and it feels like a big family. I feel like we are having a private school experience for our girls without the cost. The knowledge my girls have about science, computers, technology, and their ability to annotate books is beyond High School level. We are really blessed to have this educational opportunity for our girls. It has far exceeded our expectations for a middle school learning environment.

Posted April 29, 2014

Our son has been attending Ivy Bound Academy since 5th grade and he is now in 7th. We are very happy and continue to be, having our son at this school. The staff is so passionate at what they do and the quality of the education cannot be beat! Our son is thriving and we know he is getting well educated and preparing for the future, in addition to gearing up to attend high school. We are thankful for the administrators and teachers.

Posted April 29, 2014

When your child comes home, and randomly says that he likes his school and his teachers. When he's asked by family friends or people inquiring about schools, he's not shy about telling them why he's happy at his school. A student's testament is stronger than any metric or rating. The Student's opinion is one of significance, and IBA makes certain that the Student knows both he/she and their success matters. The school is not just about strong academics, it's also about building character and nurturing great citizens. It's academically challenging at times; however, that's a telltale sign that my son (and his classmates) is learning and curious about learning. IBA has provided the environment to allow for that curiosity. The teachers and staff are highly approachable & responsive, and constantly encourage the Students to give their best efforts, all of which is extremely important and a huge plus for any parent. Our family is exceptionally happy with IBA, and feel that our son is getting a best-in-class education (no pun intended.)

Posted April 29, 2014

This school is truly amazing! really care to provide the best education. My son it is in 5th grade and make the change to this school it is one of the best decision that we had done.

Posted April 29, 2014

I love the fact that it's a small school therefor the teachers can focus more on each student,not to mention that I can check on line for missing assignments and current grades.

Posted April 29, 2014

We'd heard that Ivy Bound was well above standards so we applied thru the lottery and got in for 5th grade. The transition first few months was hard but wow - the boost in self confidence and grades were immediately noticed. The teachers are dedicated and although the school is small, it seems to help the kids feel happy and content. Academics are above and beyond and they seem to have a handle on the new common core standards much earlier than most LAUSD schools. Sometimes size does matter and it makes it easier to implement the best standards. The kids are quite advanced and will be well prepared for ANY high school they choose.

Posted April 29, 2014

My son will graduate from Ivy Bound Academy this summer and he has the education that is needed to success in hight School. My son feels very confident to the next level. The teachers, administration and environment are excellent at Ivy Bound Academy. They prepare our children to succeed not only at school but in their life. I highly recommend Ivy Bound Academy.

Posted April 29, 2014

My daughter will be leaving ivy Bound this year I'm so thankful for everything they have done for her this is a great school and we Will be back with my other daughter thank you ivy Bound

Posted April 29, 2014

Ivy Bound Academy. My dream came in true when I understand about the school.The reason was that every thing was new for us. New country, new school, new friends were all my daughters concern and nightmares.Now all I now she is happy, successful, and safe. Thanks all .

Posted April 28, 2014

Ivy Bound Academy is a public charter but feels like a private school. This small middle school keeps the expectations high but the teachers and administration are there for your child when they need it. Despite the small facilities, they offer the technology and education needed to succeed in high school. What's more...they care about each child.

Posted April 28, 2014

We have been extremely blessed to have found, and was accepted to this school. My initial concern was the size of the school, it's very small. But after our first year, this became the very reason why I love the school. Being a small campus gives the teachers and staff the chance to get to know each student. I cannot praise the teacher and office staff enough for all that they put into their school and students.

Posted April 28, 2014

Our kids attend Ivy Bound's Sherman Oaks campus- we have one graduating this year and one is Class of 2016. Our children actually love school. Their ability to use computers far exceeds mine, their love of the core subjects (Math, English, Social Studies, Science) can only be explained by the quality of their teachers who make learning interesting and fun. The staff knows all the kids and their families by name and communicate will with parents and students alike, Our children have excelled since attending Ivy Bound and the skills, confidence, work habits and drive they have acquired as students there will be with them forever. They are preparing our children to succeed not only in their academic careers but in life.

Posted April 28, 2014

My school is Ivy Bound Academy in Sherman Oaks, Ca. This is a small charter school and I love the ability to be a part of the community and not be overwhelmed. I feel my child is safe and getting a quality education with as much support as needed.

Posted April 28, 2014

Ivy Bound Academy is a small charter school which provides high quality education to our young adults. I personally like this school because of the curriculum and the discipline. Teachers are very dedicated and the staff is very supportive. I will highly recommend this school, very good choice.

Posted April 6, 2014

I enrolled my son in 5th grade in the middle of the school semester, and we were greeted warmly and received huge support and understanding from staff. Office people are amazing trying to keep kids safe.Everybody knows each other.My child is getting a private school education for free.We are blessed that we are in IBA. I only wish they extended to 12th grade.The school is very safe and has a very hands on principal.I can not say enough good things about the school.THANKS for your hard work!!!

Posted January 17, 2014

The school quality is getting poorer and poorer. The best teachers are gone. New teachers are coming in/out almost bimonthly. Principal's concern is funding, money contributions, etc. Principal is money-driven. No sports activity at all, a lot of restrictions and liability concern. This school is good to be a tutorial service but not as a middle school. Bullying is also rampant. They do not have enough people to manage two campuses. Thus, the quality of education overall is poor. However, Mr. Gaunt is the best.

This school's
API score

902

Change from
2012 to 2013

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students71%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)69%
Parent education - college graduate100%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate85%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 35%N/AN/A
English language learners 5%N/AN/A
Source: CA Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
PE instructor(s)
Special education coordinator
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 308 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

This school

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

This school

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

Employees

This school

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

Based on surveys from:

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Kiumars Arzani
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (818) 808-0157

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Backwards Design
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Mathematics
  • Science
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

Performing arts
  • Creative writing
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Leadership
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council

Submit your application by

January 31, 2014

Apply now

What are your chances?

1 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
600
Students typically come from these schools
traditional LAUSD schools
affiliated and independent charter schools
private schools