Dixie Canyon Community Charter School

Charter | K-5

Living in Sherman Oaks

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $561,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,730.

Posted May 9, 2010

Dixie Cyn is a fabulous school. The new principal has moved the school forward in ways like never before. She immediately remodeled the office to make it more efficient and is overseeing the elimination or moribund staff. She supports all parents 100% of the time. Way to go Mrs. Mochet!

Posted May 4, 2010

I never wated to put my daughter in a public school but I heard about Dixie Canyon from another friend. I put my daughter there for the school is a walking distance from my living. after only few months I discovered how blessed i am to be so close to this school. My daughter started reading after only few months in Kinder Garten, She knew a lot of big words, knows how to spell, she knew a lot of maths... I say thank you to Dixie Canyon and Special Thanks to Mr. Chris Masserdjian who played the biggest role in making my daughter a good reader. The school is so strict about the dress codes and the children behaviors.. It feels like your child is in a private school. I do not remember one day my daughter came back with bad words or any bad behavior. I know that they fired a kinder garten student for being bad and I loved that in them

Posted April 19, 2010

Parents are very active in the school, which makes for a better overall experience.

Posted February 2, 2010

Dixie is a good school but not a great school. There is a nice new principal now that has a lot of energy but not a lot of principal experience and she has hired a 'helper' administrator to do a lot of the hard work that she is learning to do like LEP testing and payroll. Dixie will return to greatness soon after this break-in period. School is recommended.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 22, 2009

Great learning environment, involvement of the parents etc... Go Dolphins !

Posted October 12, 2009

Interesting to me why only positive reviews are getting posted. Hmmmm. And how about spell-checking? Okay...Dixie has some outstanding teachers, but the campus is filthy, staff is uninviting if not downright rude. The playground is nuts...my daughter is out there with over 200 kids and little to no equipment. Enrichment is good; but as a parent you should know you have to work HARD to keep the school working for your kids. If you don't have a lot of time to devote to being there physically, I would not recommend this school.

Posted October 8, 2009

One of the best public schools in LAUSD.The two teachers are daughter has had,fiirst grade and now 2ndgrade were and are outstanding and caring.The new principal is lovely and a PROFESSIONAL with a warm welcome to everyone. parents and students.Amazing parent involvement.5 STAR!!!! A Dixie Canyon Mom

Posted October 3, 2009

The school is in a major renaissance right now. The PTA meetings are standing room only. The new parents have come in and really relieved the veteran parents. We are being lead in a great direction and the kids are happy. API scores are up 24 more points this year. Just Brilliant!

Posted August 31, 2009

Last year was our first year at Dixie. We didn't have the best experience to start but the principal was instrumental in getting our teacher replaced and the year turned out wonderful. The teacher who we initially had is not a good fit for Dixie and it is a shame that good teachers had to be layed off and this teacher is still there.

Posted August 26, 2009

My daughter will start second grade this fall. She absolutely loves school and I attribute that to her two wonderful, caring teachers. The LAUSD curriculum is not perfect but nor is it perfect at expensive private schools. I feel confident that she will learn what she needs to in elementary school at Dixie. The PTA does a great job of adding hands-on experiences (gardening for eg). We had a good experience with the principal who had an open door policy and always returned phone calls promptly. In public you do need to make more of an effort as a parent to stay on top of what is going on in the classroom but this doesn't mean volunteering for every fundraiser. Just take the time to get to know your child's teacher and a few other children and their parents and your child's experience will improve dramatically. I recommend Dixie without hesitation.

Posted August 19, 2009

Dixie Canyon's API went down for the 2008-2009 school year. A few points is nothing but a school should not be regarded by it's a API score. API scores only mean that the teachers are teaching for the test. If your child is lucky enough to have the few good teachers at Dixie there is no reason a child would not do well. One year with a less than desirable teacher and your child suffers. I am a very involved parent and I think people need to listen to the negative post as well as the positive. They are both true. There is something wrong at Dixie but if parents continue to just post and not do something about their concerns, nothing will change.

Posted August 18, 2009

How can this school have hit an all time low as mentioned below - when the test scores keep getting better! The negative reviews below are not describing the Dixie Canyon that I know. My child has been at Dixie for 4 years and we are very impressed with the teachers and quality of education. Mrs. Dichter was a very hands on principal who actually was rarely in her office - but running around making sure that her school was operating to the high standards she demanded. The parents below must not have been on campus much! One step on campus or one glance at the test scores will show the true Dixie which is one that most parents are proud to be part of.

Posted August 15, 2009

This school has changed over the past few years, and for the worse. They got the principal Mrs. Dickter that just sat in her office and did not a lot else but count the minutes until she retired. Now she retired, but the damage of years of leadership apathy can not easily be undone, even by the selection of a young and energetic new principal. I pray for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Posted August 9, 2009

The curriculum at this school is very weak. My daughter's class this past year (third grade) had virtually no writing instruction, yet students were graded in writing. The reading program was weak (the teacher reading aloud from a basal reader, round robin reading, and lots of worksheets, little actual reading done by kids) and the math programs fails completely to teach the underlying concepts. Don't even dream of real science and social students content! Of course, the curriculum is mandated by LAUSD but better schools find ways to compensate and to enrich the curriculum. Dixie does not. As a parent of two Dixie students, a teacher at another school, and a tutor to another Dixie student I can tell you that the education provided here is inadequate. Send your child elsewhere.

Posted August 7, 2009

When my first child attended Dixie several years ago, we were fairly happy with it. She had a few good teachers, the basics were fairly well covered. We were able to fill in the gaps in her education with outside classes and activities. However, my third child is now attending Dixie and we have become progressively more frustrated as they years, and the frequently changing principals have progressed. For the sake of all of the children who must attend this school, including my own, I can only hope that things will be better with the new principal than they were under Mrs. Dichter when they hit and all-time low!

Posted August 5, 2009

Dixie Canyon is a fine school if your child is completely 'average'. In many years of working with children, I have learned that most children will learn even in schools that are not particularly wonderful. It is the kids who are not 'typical' who do not do well in unexceptional environments. Middle-of-the road kids will make do. However, if your child is exceptionally bright or struggles, Dixie Canyon is not going to take your child's needs seriously. The PTA ensure that things like art and PE are still offered, but the terrible LAUSD curriculum is still used, of course, and unlike at better schools, little is done by the staff to compensate for this poor mandated curriculum to truly teach the kids well. This is school that does the bare minimum, with the exception of the parent groups who try to provide the extras as much as they can.

Posted August 4, 2009

If your child has had a positive experience at Dixie Canyon, count your blessings, but do not be hostile towards families who are less fortunate. My son has mild special needs and the way he and our family have been treated while trying to get his needs met has been excruciating for our family. It is incredibly painful to watch your child struggle and suffer through each school day, feeling as though he is not valued by his teacher or other adults at school. My son came home regularly crying and would sit on my lap telling me 'They don't want me there! I want to go to a different school!' We are trying to find a way to get him out of Dixie and pay for private school

Posted August 4, 2009

My family has also suffered at Dixie. My two children have struggled academically at Dixie and they, and I, have felt that they were allowed to struggle without support or concern from Dixie staff. When I have asked for help I have been ignored. Perhaps, as previous posters suggested, my children were not educated properly because I was not involved enough in the PTA. I believe that in America, my children should not suffer because I chose to take on the challenge of raising three children as a single parent. ALL children should be cared for and educated, even if their mother has to put most of her time and money into extra therapies and care for three special needs kids instead of into the PTA fundraisers. To suggest otherwise feels classist and unreasonable. I do what I can, but I feel less inclined to volunteer when my kids are mistreated.

Posted August 3, 2009

We have not had positive experiences with Dixie Canyon. Although the parent groups help provide some enrichments and 'extras' not provided in most LAUSD schools, they cannot address the underlying problems at Dixie, such as classes where students are routinely taught by substitutes (my daughter's class). My child needed to be homeschooled on evenings and weekends while attending Dixie because she didn't learn. Although some parents believe that only positive experiences should be shared on this site, I wish that the many parents who have recently shared their bad experiences had posted BEFORE I chose to enroll my child in this terrible school! Once we began at Dixie and I was volunteering, I encountered a strong undercurrent of frustrated families who were ignored by administration or worse, treated with terrible hostility for trying to get their child's needs met. It's incredibly sad, but some families are respected while others are ignored.

Posted July 30, 2009

I have been at Dixie for 9 years now with 2 children and have loved every minute of it. I have alwasy been heavily involved with the school through the classrooms and the PTA. My children have had the best teachers - better than any private school. The Prinicipal and VP have always had an open door policy and were willing to work with me on any issues I had. It is a wonderful gem, not overcrowded like some of the other nearby schools. Seems to me the negative reviews listed below are from people who think they are involved but are not. There are a great deal of parents at all schools who want all these things done and changed but are unwilling to help in any way. At Dixie there is a great parent movement but like all schools, they need more help to achieve their goals.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

4 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

4 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students82%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 455 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

This school

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

This school

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

This school

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

This school

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents15727%
Students26787%
Employees3152%

12012-13 Los Angeles Unified School District School Experience Survey

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4220 Dixie Canyon Avenue