Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted August 25, 2015
My children have been very fortunate to have teachers that matched their learning style and temperment. I have seen other children end up in less than ideal matches.

Dixie Canyon Community Charter School 4

Posted August 25, 2015
II've been a parent of a Dixie kid for the past four years and can agree with practically all the good and bad comments so far. The bottom line is that it is a public school that seems to give the teachers a little leeway for creativity. As a public school they are bound to fulfill the "common core" standards set out by LAUSD. This is not a Dixie mater but a public school matter. This works well for majority of the kids but not as much for those who need extra help to keep up nor does it work well for those who are on the more gifted end of the curve. The teacher’s styles vary a bit and after kindergarten, the teachers suggest the best classroom fit for the child in the next grade. Not all suggestions lead to the proper placement but I believe most are. This is where some of the variations in reviews occur. If a child ends up with someone who is a bad match- the Dixie experience is night and day. My daughter has been very happy with all her teachers so far but I have heard horror stories of bad matches. Not all teachers gives a lot of homework, not all teachers keep the kids indoors most of the time, some teachers are louder, some are more relaxed than others etc... I have heard and believed parents who have said that there are kids on campus that bully others and I have noticed these are difficult to address when it’s one kid’s word against another. I suspect this is true of any sizeable campus where individual close monitoring is impossible. The school does do their best by educating children on what to look out for and what to do. I have also seen administration address clear behavioral issues immediately. All schools like Dixie believe in zero tolerance for bullying but that does not mean bullying behavior (even in it’s smallest forms) never happens. If you ask me- I could ask for more- and I am sure if I looked hard enough I could find the right private school that could accommodate all my concerns. If you ask my daughter- she loves Dixie and feels a sense of belonging in the Dixie community, which for transplants like us (ie no family around) means a great deal in a establishing a solid social and emotional foundation for my child.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 25, 2015
It has depended on the teacher. Some teachers gave more homework than I thought necessary and some gave too little.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted August 07, 2015
Most teachers and the way this school is set up (very little outdoor time) makes kids hate school. That is not effective.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted August 07, 2015
It's all too much homework these days in all schools so I can't blame this particular school for that. Kids shouldn't be doing any homework in the younger grades. It just makes them hate school and they don't really learn any more with homework--the statistics prove it, but parents seem to want it so it continues. One reason parents want it is because it gives them an idea of what the kids are learning. This is because many teachers and the school aren't keeping parents informed. Some teachers send papers home with the kids to show what they're doing in class and some don't. Also, I'd say 90% of the teachers don't go over the homework or if they do the kids are grading each others homework. Less 'homework' for the teachers that way.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted August 07, 2015
This school is the exact opposite. There is a small handful of really excellent teachers who totally get children, but the rest have absolutely no compassion, caring or empathy for the students. The lazy teachers even pick on the good teachers for working too hard.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted August 07, 2015
I think there are a few excellent teachers who foster honesty, etc. in the kids but overall I think the majority of the teachers, the principal, and the Vice Principal foster only what is best for them such as good attendance as it means more money for the school. They have a new rule now where kids have to sit with their class at lunchtime. This is better for the staff but the kids think it is unfair. So the staff models the exact reverse of unfairness. This and many other things make the vast majority of the kids hate school. It's very sad. I'm glad we are no longer there and our youngest is now in middle school. It was a better place when we first began with the former principal. This one does not support parent's concerns at all. She has no empathy with either the students or parents. It's hard to believe she was a teacher once, let alone a child herself.

Dixie Canyon Community Charter School 3

Posted May 05, 2015
Mixed feelings bout Dixie. While there are some amazing teachers at the school, getting stuck with one of the bad ones is a nightmare. Our little one started Dixie at kindergarden and had a great loving and caring teachers for both kinder and first grade. Our child felt loved and cared for in both of those grades and the teachers went the extra mile. You could tell that they were adults who actually "liked" kids. Our second grade experience was quite the opposite. She seems to dislike children with a passion. It really takes a lot for me to give a bad review of someone or something, but in this case it is well deserved. My daughters second grade teacher was THE worst teacher you'd ever want. Period. She is cold to the children and clearly hates her job. Instead of encouragement, this woman's approach is to humiliate these young spirits and ridicule them in front of their peers. My daughter has actually come home crying on numerous occasions from her verbal abuse. Unfortunately, the principal seems to have little power or interest in removing the bad teachers, so if you get stuck with this one...good luck. We've transferred after this experience. :_(

Dixie Canyon Community Charter School 3

Posted April 30, 2015
I give this school a mixed review. Several teachers are stellar. They make the school. The ones who have stood the test of time. Other, newer teachers are a disaster. If you get one of those bad apples, you are stuck. The Principal and others do NOT want to hear your concerns. Screamers, bullies, swearers, adhd, bipolar, incompetents, lazy - are all continuing to inflict a bad year on some kids. (Any parent who says otherwise - apparently has escaped the bad eggs. So, don't judge other, dissatisfied families.) If you tour the school, you may see an impressive computer lab. However, the kids do not learn much. A sweet old man runs it (sorry, can't remember his name). He must be free or something because the "computer" classes are a waste of time. Kids should be aggressively learning new technology, but it is NOT happening at Dixie.

Dixie Canyon Community Charter School 5

Posted February 22, 2015
I totally agree with a parent who wrote review on Oct. 15 2014. I am also a mother of 4th grader and Kindergartner. Yes, the parking situation is chaotic, and parents have to volunteer several times but they offer extensive programs that not all schools can offer. We have been 5 years at Dixie but neither of my son and I have had complains about teachers. As we are approaching to the school year-end, we already miss our 4th grade and Kinder teacher... Lastly, some has mentioned that students must be in SAS class or GATE to be treated nicely at this school. My kids are not GATE or SAS student but we still have wonderful school life here at Dixie!

4220 Dixie Canyon Avenue, Sherman Oaks, CA  91423-3904
Last modified Dixie Canyon Community Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dixie Canyon Community Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 208 reviews. Top