Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

After several years at Dixie....I say this is a VERY average school. Don't be fooled by its affluence equally school quality. Some teachers seem to dislike the parents and are outright rude to them. Most of the teachers yell at the kids and are very grouchy. I witnessed a seasoned Kindergarten teacher screaming at the kids on the Kindergarten yard when it was totally unnecessary. One experienced teacher, beloved by all her students and parents, was let go of because of a credential snag in the middle of the school year. They put an inexperienced teacher (who also yelled), in her spot, and disrupted the students' school year. Drama and art programs are good. Computer lab a waste of time. Terrific PTA! A very few top notch teachers in first and second grade. Fifth grade teachers okay. The new principal this year was the vice principal last year. Watch out! She is a bit of a tyrant and very condescending. The last principal, who just retired, was also condescending and rolled her eyes to parent concerns. We are graduated to other options and so happy for a fresh start.

My child had a teacher who didn't cover a good portion of the curriculum that is mandatory to teach in third grade, particularly in Language Arts, Science and Social Studies. I was appalled and sad by this. This teacher never responded to emails or communication and I have NO idea how my child was assessed as there were no regular tests taken or that came home. Computer lab teacher is nice sometimes (and definitely NOT always) . According to my child, they don't learn any new computer programs or encourage valuable research. Starfall? This bothers me because PTA funds a portion of his salary. Students are like any campus. Staff does take foul language and bullying seriously. Big plus. Some teachers wonderful. Some seem to hate kids and their jobs. Principal wishy washy. Just a so so school but slim pickings here in LAUSD.. :(

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

My children have been very fortunate to have teachers that matched their learning style and temperment. I have seen other children end up in less than ideal matches.

II've been a parent of a Dixie kid for the past four years and can agree with practically all the good and bad comments so far. The bottom line is that it is a public school that seems to give the teachers a little leeway for creativity. As a public school they are bound to fulfill the "common core" standards set out by LAUSD. This is not a Dixie mater but a public school matter. This works well for majority of the kids but not as much for those who need extra help to keep up nor does it work well for those who are on the more gifted end of the curve. The teacher’s styles vary a bit and after kindergarten, the teachers suggest the best classroom fit for the child in the next grade. Not all suggestions lead to the proper placement but I believe most are. This is where some of the variations in reviews occur. If a child ends up with someone who is a bad match- the Dixie experience is night and day. My daughter has been very happy with all her teachers so far but I have heard horror stories of bad matches. Not all teachers gives a lot of homework, not all teachers keep the kids indoors most of the time, some teachers are louder, some are more relaxed than others etc... I have heard and believed parents who have said that there are kids on campus that bully others and I have noticed these are difficult to address when it’s one kid’s word against another. I suspect this is true of any sizeable campus where individual close monitoring is impossible. The school does do their best by educating children on what to look out for and what to do. I have also seen administration address clear behavioral issues immediately. All schools like Dixie believe in zero tolerance for bullying but that does not mean bullying behavior (even in it’s smallest forms) never happens. If you ask me- I could ask for more- and I am sure if I looked hard enough I could find the right private school that could accommodate all my concerns. If you ask my daughter- she loves Dixie and feels a sense of belonging in the Dixie community, which for transplants like us (ie no family around) means a great deal in a establishing a solid social and emotional foundation for my child.

Amount of homework: Agree

It has depended on the teacher. Some teachers gave more homework than I thought necessary and some gave too little.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Most teachers and the way this school is set up (very little outdoor time) makes kids hate school. That is not effective.

Amount of homework: Disagree

It's all too much homework these days in all schools so I can't blame this particular school for that. Kids shouldn't be doing any homework in the younger grades. It just makes them hate school and they don't really learn any more with homework--the statistics prove it, but parents seem to want it so it continues. One reason parents want it is because it gives them an idea of what the kids are learning. This is because many teachers and the school aren't keeping parents informed. Some teachers send papers home with the kids to show what they're doing in class and some don't. Also, I'd say 90% of the teachers don't go over the homework or if they do the kids are grading each others homework. Less 'homework' for the teachers that way.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

I think there are a few excellent teachers who foster honesty, etc. in the kids but overall I think the majority of the teachers, the principal, and the Vice Principal foster only what is best for them such as good attendance as it means more money for the school. They have a new rule now where kids have to sit with their class at lunchtime. This is better for the staff but the kids think it is unfair. So the staff models the exact reverse of unfairness. This and many other things make the vast majority of the kids hate school. It's very sad. I'm glad we are no longer there and our youngest is now in middle school. It was a better place when we first began with the former principal. This one does not support parent's concerns at all. She has no empathy with either the students or parents. It's hard to believe she was a teacher once, let alone a child herself.

Mixed feelings bout Dixie. While there are some amazing teachers at the school, getting stuck with one of the bad ones is a nightmare. Our little one started Dixie at kindergarden and had a great loving and caring teachers for both kinder and first grade. Our child felt loved and cared for in both of those grades and the teachers went the extra mile. You could tell that they were adults who actually "liked" kids. Our second grade experience was quite the opposite. She seems to dislike children with a passion. It really takes a lot for me to give a bad review of someone or something, but in this case it is well deserved. My daughters second grade teacher was THE worst teacher you'd ever want. Period. She is cold to the children and clearly hates her job. Instead of encouragement, this woman's approach is to humiliate these young spirits and ridicule them in front of their peers. My daughter has actually come home crying on numerous occasions from her verbal abuse. Unfortunately, the principal seems to have little power or interest in removing the bad teachers, so if you get stuck with this one...good luck. We've transferred after this experience. :_(

I give this school a mixed review. Several teachers are stellar. They make the school. The ones who have stood the test of time. Other, newer teachers are a disaster. If you get one of those bad apples, you are stuck. The Principal and others do NOT want to hear your concerns. Screamers, bullies, swearers, adhd, bipolar, incompetents, lazy - are all continuing to inflict a bad year on some kids. (Any parent who says otherwise - apparently has escaped the bad eggs. So, don't judge other, dissatisfied families.) If you tour the school, you may see an impressive computer lab. However, the kids do not learn much. A sweet old man runs it (sorry, can't remember his name). He must be free or something because the "computer" classes are a waste of time. Kids should be aggressively learning new technology, but it is NOT happening at Dixie.

Last modified Dixie Canyon Community Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.