Public charter
Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted May 05, 2015
Mixed feelings bout Dixie. While there are some amazing teachers at the school, getting stuck with one of the bad ones is a nightmare. Our little one started Dixie at kindergarden and had a great loving and caring teachers for both kinder and first grade. Our child felt loved and cared for in both of those grades and the teachers went the extra mile. You could tell that they were adults who actually "liked" kids. Our second grade experience was quite the opposite. She seems to dislike children with a passion. It really takes a lot for me to give a bad review of someone or something, but in this case it is well deserved. My daughters second grade teacher was THE worst teacher you'd ever want. Period. She is cold to the children and clearly hates her job. Instead of encouragement, this woman's approach is to humiliate these young spirits and ridicule them in front of their peers. My daughter has actually come home crying on numerous occasions from her verbal abuse. Unfortunately, the principal seems to have little power or interest in removing the bad teachers, so if you get stuck with this one...good luck. We've transferred after this experience. :_(

Posted April 30, 2015
I give this school a mixed review. Several teachers are stellar. They make the school. The ones who have stood the test of time. Other, newer teachers are a disaster. If you get one of those bad apples, you are stuck. The Principal and others do NOT want to hear your concerns. Screamers, bullies, swearers, adhd, bipolar, incompetents, lazy - are all continuing to inflict a bad year on some kids. (Any parent who says otherwise - apparently has escaped the bad eggs. So, don't judge other, dissatisfied families.) If you tour the school, you may see an impressive computer lab. However, the kids do not learn much. A sweet old man runs it (sorry, can't remember his name). He must be free or something because the "computer" classes are a waste of time. Kids should be aggressively learning new technology, but it is NOT happening at Dixie.

Posted February 22, 2015
I totally agree with a parent who wrote review on Oct. 15 2014. I am also a mother of 4th grader and Kindergartner. Yes, the parking situation is chaotic, and parents have to volunteer several times but they offer extensive programs that not all schools can offer. We have been 5 years at Dixie but neither of my son and I have had complains about teachers. As we are approaching to the school year-end, we already miss our 4th grade and Kinder teacher... Lastly, some has mentioned that students must be in SAS class or GATE to be treated nicely at this school. My kids are not GATE or SAS student but we still have wonderful school life here at Dixie!

Dixie Canyon Community Charter School 2

Posted December 16, 2014
I have heard about the rumblings at Dixie. I am happy for the parents and children who are pleased with the school. I also acknowledge that one's experience can be vastly different from another's. To deny that even just one child could be miserable is doing a disservice to all children. The scores have been solid for this school. The diversity and wealth contribute greatly to that. I am aware that some dynamic teachers/administrators have started their own school. They feel in sharp contrast to some of the stodgy old-fashioned ways of this Principal. Again, it works wonderfully for some and it is detrimental to others. A dynamic Principal works with both and doesn't sweep problems under the rug. The district has received complainst about some teachers at Dixie through the years. Strict is different from mean. The school has some mean teachers that should change their ways or get out of teaching young, impressionable children. Again, happy for those who's experience is different. My guess would be you have the good teachers. The ones who get stuck with one of the infamous bad teachers - please don't judge their cry for change.

Posted December 12, 2014
To any and all who are interested in attending Dixie, please come to our school and listen to the laughter, watch children on the yard and in the classrooms, and observe how engaged they are in learning. It's a wonderful school with a few very vitriolic parents who, in spite of hating the school, remain, forever trying to pressure teachers and and other parents to join their ranks. It's a sad state of affairs for those of us who love our school. Trust me when I say that it is a VERY small but very LOUD minority. The vast majority of us love our school, our administrators, and our teachers.

Posted December 11, 2014
I find it interesting that people would negate the positive reviews of parents and teachers because it is of a different experience than their own. Based on my humble opinion and observations as a parent and teacher of a handful of years at Dixie, it's a great school. I have also noticed a tiny percentage of parents who cry foul because their request is denied or something doesn't go their way. Not every school is a great fit for every child and family. Luckily, there many different school choices for your children to attend in Los Angeles. I am assuming the parent/reviewer of every teacher at Dixie, had children in all those teachers' classes. Otherwise, it is analogous to having people you don't know review you as a parent based on gossip.

Dixie Canyon Community Charter School 1

Posted December 11, 2014
Those of you writing good reviews of this school either haven't been there long enough to know the truth, or the principal is doing a good job of hiding the truth and you will eventually find out. Talk to the parents who've been through it. We are in middle school now and it's a breath of fresh air. And to the teacher saying the school is great? Are you sure it's not the principal making it up? We were friends with one of the teachers at Dixie whose child was also attending and she told some horror stories but felt she couldn't tell the principal. As of last year 4th grade is the worst--there are no good 4th grade teachers, 5th has 2 wonderful and one awful, 3rd--one excellent and the rest average to bad, 2nd--one excellent, two average and the rest bad, 1st is all good, and kinder is 50/50). This is not a great school. It is mediocre at best. If it had good leadership as it used to before this principal then I might think differently but great...it's not. Just ask the kids.

Posted November 21, 2014
Hit or miss school. Some aspects are great, some are not. So much depends on which teacher you get. A few are superb rock star teachers. Some need to look in the mirror and figure out what their goals are as a teacher. Some seem bitter and need to retire from working with young children, others appear a little lazy. There is A LOT of fundraising. Many programs are totally supported by the parents, like computers and P.E. The tech lessons are weak, but there are at least new computers. Other tech programs are much more advanced at other schools. But my experience comes from private schools. This is our first public experience.

Dixie Canyon Community Charter School 1

Posted November 05, 2014
This school is high scores and advanced students oriented. If you child is gifted, you will be happy and well respected. If your child is average or below, go find some other place. Most of the teachers expect all the kids to perform at the same advanced level and have very little to zero patience for the kids who don't. Obviously this attitude comes from the leadership. Principal and assistant principal couldn't be more rude, heartless, careless and disrespectful. Not students/parents oriented. A perfect couple. However, if high scores what you looking for - this is your place.

Posted October 15, 2014
Just wanted to throw out another point of view... I am currently a parent of a 4th grader at Dixie, and we are very pleased with our child's teacher. She seems dedicated, passionate and, according to my child, she offers praise, encouragement and, when necessary, criticism. I can only imagine how challenging it is to keep 30+ nine/ten year olds on course, and my child is the first to admit that they are a rambunctious bunch. In my opinion, if the kids are acting up, the teacher has the right to call them out. I figure, if I wouldn't tolerate certain behavior at home, I don't expect (or want) the teacher to indulge it. Empathy is great, but there's also a ship to steer, and so far, I feel my child's 4th grade teacher at Dixie has been an excellent captain. As for the principal, over our 5 years at Dixie, I've seen her show consistent support to students and parents alike. I honestly couldn't be happier with the leadership at this school.

Dixie Canyon Community Charter School
4220 Dixie Canyon Avenue, Sherman Oaks, CA  91423
Last modified Dixie Canyon Community Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dixie Canyon Community Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 171 reviews. Top