Dixie Canyon Community Charter School 2

Posted December 16, 2014
I have heard about the rumblings at Dixie. I am happy for the parents and children who are pleased with the school. I also acknowledge that one's experience can be vastly different from another's. To deny that even just one child could be miserable is doing a disservice to all children. The scores have been solid for this school. The diversity and wealth contribute greatly to that. I am aware that some dynamic teachers/administrators have started their own school. They feel in sharp contrast to some of the stodgy old-fashioned ways of this Principal. Again, it works wonderfully for some and it is detrimental to others. A dynamic Principal works with both and doesn't sweep problems under the rug. The district has received complainst about some teachers at Dixie through the years. Strict is different from mean. The school has some mean teachers that should change their ways or get out of teaching young, impressionable children. Again, happy for those who's experience is different. My guess would be you have the good teachers. The ones who get stuck with one of the infamous bad teachers - please don't judge their cry for change.

Posted December 12, 2014
To any and all who are interested in attending Dixie, please come to our school and listen to the laughter, watch children on the yard and in the classrooms, and observe how engaged they are in learning. It's a wonderful school with a few very vitriolic parents who, in spite of hating the school, remain, forever trying to pressure teachers and and other parents to join their ranks. It's a sad state of affairs for those of us who love our school. Trust me when I say that it is a VERY small but very LOUD minority. The vast majority of us love our school, our administrators, and our teachers.
10 people found this helpful

Posted December 11, 2014
I find it interesting that people would negate the positive reviews of parents and teachers because it is of a different experience than their own. Based on my humble opinion and observations as a parent and teacher of a handful of years at Dixie, it's a great school. I have also noticed a tiny percentage of parents who cry foul because their request is denied or something doesn't go their way. Not every school is a great fit for every child and family. Luckily, there many different school choices for your children to attend in Los Angeles. I am assuming the parent/reviewer of every teacher at Dixie, had children in all those teachers' classes. Otherwise, it is analogous to having people you don't know review you as a parent based on gossip.
7 people found this helpful

Posted December 11, 2014
Those of you writing good reviews of this school either haven't been there long enough to know the truth, or the principal is doing a good job of hiding the truth and you will eventually find out. Talk to the parents who've been through it. We are in middle school now and it's a breath of fresh air. And to the teacher saying the school is great? Are you sure it's not the principal making it up? We were friends with one of the teachers at Dixie whose child was also attending and she told some horror stories but felt she couldn't tell the principal. As of last year 4th grade is the worst--there are no good 4th grade teachers, 5th has 2 wonderful and one awful, 3rd--one excellent and the rest average to bad, 2nd--one excellent, two average and the rest bad, 1st is all good, and kinder is 50/50). This is not a great school. It is mediocre at best. If it had good leadership as it used to before this principal then I might think differently but great...it's not. Just ask the kids.

Dixie Canyon Community Charter School 3

Posted November 21, 2014
Hit or miss school. Some aspects are great, some are not. So much depends on which teacher you get. A few are superb rock star teachers. Some need to look in the mirror and figure out what their goals are as a teacher. Some seem bitter and need to retire from working with young children, others appear a little lazy. There is A LOT of fundraising. Many programs are totally supported by the parents, like computers and P.E. The tech lessons are weak, but there are at least new computers. Other tech programs are much more advanced at other schools. But my experience comes from private schools. This is our first public experience.

Posted November 05, 2014
This school is high scores and advanced students oriented. If you child is gifted, you will be happy and well respected. If your child is average or below, go find some other place. Most of the teachers expect all the kids to perform at the same advanced level and have very little to zero patience for the kids who don't. Obviously this attitude comes from the leadership. Principal and assistant principal couldn't be more rude, heartless, careless and disrespectful. Not students/parents oriented. A perfect couple. However, if high scores what you looking for - this is your place.

Posted October 15, 2014
Just wanted to throw out another point of view... I am currently a parent of a 4th grader at Dixie, and we are very pleased with our child's teacher. She seems dedicated, passionate and, according to my child, she offers praise, encouragement and, when necessary, criticism. I can only imagine how challenging it is to keep 30+ nine/ten year olds on course, and my child is the first to admit that they are a rambunctious bunch. In my opinion, if the kids are acting up, the teacher has the right to call them out. I figure, if I wouldn't tolerate certain behavior at home, I don't expect (or want) the teacher to indulge it. Empathy is great, but there's also a ship to steer, and so far, I feel my child's 4th grade teacher at Dixie has been an excellent captain. As for the principal, over our 5 years at Dixie, I've seen her show consistent support to students and parents alike. I honestly couldn't be happier with the leadership at this school.
4 people found this helpful

Posted October 11, 2014
As a parent who moved away from this school because of teachers who yelled and a principal who was abusive, I am appalled that a teacher would bash a parent just for saying their opinion. As a teacher it's great for you that you feel supported for anything that is "thrown" at you but there are little kids being yelled at and frightened by teachers. The principal is in no way student centered. You sound like you are threatening the parent for speaking her mind. This principal is the worst and many of the teachers are gossipy and rude. I am so thankful my kids now go to a beautiful school in Westlake were my kids are thriving and love school. It wasn't the case when they went here.
3 people found this helpful

Posted October 08, 2014
As a teacher, I am appalled at parents who bash teachers when they don't get their way. Dixie is not my first school, and I am proud to say that it is where I intend to stay. Our principal is warm, child centered, and yes, she supports her teachers in whom she has well founded confidence. With her support and confidence, teachers feel supported and are more equipped to deal with all that LAUSD throws at them. BTW: Everyone knows who the nightmare parents are, too. You are not doing your child any favors by bullying, gossiping, and spreading hostile rumors about teachers. You will likely raise a child who will bully, gossip, and value hostility as socially acceptable behavior.
10 people found this helpful

Posted April 14, 2014
My son has attended since kindergarten. He's going into 3rd grade and we couldn't be happier with dixie. The teachers and administration care so much about the kids. Along with regular core curriculum they have science, computers, art and drama. Every child has an enriching experience. The API scores improve every year. This school is a winner!
4 people found this helpful

Dixie Canyon Community Charter School
4220 Dixie Canyon Avenue, Sherman Oaks, CA  91423
Last modified Dixie Canyon Community Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dixie Canyon Community Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 196 reviews. Top