Dixie Canyon Community Charter School 3

Posted November 21, 2014
Hit or miss school. Some aspects are great, some are not. So much depends on which teacher you get. A few are superb rock star teachers. Some need to look in the mirror and figure out what their goals are as a teacher. Some seem bitter and need to retire from working with young children, others appear a little lazy. There is A LOT of fundraising. Many programs are totally supported by the parents, like computers and P.E. The tech lessons are weak, but there are at least new computers. Other tech programs are much more advanced at other schools. But my experience comes from private schools. This is our first public experience.

Posted November 05, 2014
This school is high scores and advanced students oriented. If you child is gifted, you will be happy and well respected. If your child is average or below, go find some other place. Most of the teachers expect all the kids to perform at the same advanced level and have very little to zero patience for the kids who don't. Obviously this attitude comes from the leadership. Principal and assistant principal couldn't be more rude, heartless, careless and disrespectful. Not students/parents oriented. A perfect couple. However, if high scores what you looking for - this is your place.

Posted October 15, 2014
Just wanted to throw out another point of view... I am currently a parent of a 4th grader at Dixie, and we are very pleased with our child's teacher. She seems dedicated, passionate and, according to my child, she offers praise, encouragement and, when necessary, criticism. I can only imagine how challenging it is to keep 30+ nine/ten year olds on course, and my child is the first to admit that they are a rambunctious bunch. In my opinion, if the kids are acting up, the teacher has the right to call them out. I figure, if I wouldn't tolerate certain behavior at home, I don't expect (or want) the teacher to indulge it. Empathy is great, but there's also a ship to steer, and so far, I feel my child's 4th grade teacher at Dixie has been an excellent captain. As for the principal, over our 5 years at Dixie, I've seen her show consistent support to students and parents alike. I honestly couldn't be happier with the leadership at this school.

Posted October 11, 2014
As a parent who moved away from this school because of teachers who yelled and a principal who was abusive, I am appalled that a teacher would bash a parent just for saying their opinion. As a teacher it's great for you that you feel supported for anything that is "thrown" at you but there are little kids being yelled at and frightened by teachers. The principal is in no way student centered. You sound like you are threatening the parent for speaking her mind. This principal is the worst and many of the teachers are gossipy and rude. I am so thankful my kids now go to a beautiful school in Westlake were my kids are thriving and love school. It wasn't the case when they went here.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 08, 2014
As a teacher, I am appalled at parents who bash teachers when they don't get their way. Dixie is not my first school, and I am proud to say that it is where I intend to stay. Our principal is warm, child centered, and yes, she supports her teachers in whom she has well founded confidence. With her support and confidence, teachers feel supported and are more equipped to deal with all that LAUSD throws at them. BTW: Everyone knows who the nightmare parents are, too. You are not doing your child any favors by bullying, gossiping, and spreading hostile rumors about teachers. You will likely raise a child who will bully, gossip, and value hostility as socially acceptable behavior.
4 people found this helpful

Dixie Canyon Community Charter School 3

Posted October 08, 2014
For the most part, Dixie is a good school. However, it SO depends on what teacher you get. Some years are good, and some are hopeless (like 4th grade. There are no good options. Parents stick it out for a terrific 5th grade.) Some hard core Dixie families have left to go to a more dynamic, 2014 type school. Principal is old school and protects the teachers so much more than the students. Everyone knows who the nightmare teachers are - and the Principal looks the other way. Some teachers have sworn at kids. Many teachers are yellers, some screamers. Some parents have tried paying for seminars for Empathy training. This is so sad that you have to train a teacher to be empathetic. Why be a teacher is the imprint you leave on a child is bad? Teachers tell themselves and administration that they are just strict. So - go to Dixie or not? Like I said, it all depeds on if you get one of the great ones. I wish the screamers would sit in on the beloved teachers and see how they do it!

Posted April 14, 2014
My son has attended since kindergarten. He's going into 3rd grade and we couldn't be happier with dixie. The teachers and administration care so much about the kids. Along with regular core curriculum they have science, computers, art and drama. Every child has an enriching experience. The API scores improve every year. This school is a winner!

Posted April 02, 2014
Dixie Canyon is an exemplary school. The teachers are dedicated, the parents are active and the kids are excited to be there. There is always something to look forward to, spirit days, student of the month assemblies, and movie nights. The art program at Dixie is great. Drama Sue and Ms Barbro challenge the kids artistically and keep them engaged. The tech and science centers are equally great. My child loves the tech center with Mr Merkelson. She is always excited to report what new program she's learned to use. We love Dixie and are so happy to be a part of this amazing community.

Posted March 16, 2014
Wonderful school. Very involved faculty. Both the parents and teachers do everything they can to provide the kids with everything they need: Drama, Computer Lab, Science Lab, Art, etc. Test scores have gone up every year we've been there. Our older son has been very happy there, and our youngest is going to start kindergarten next year.

Posted March 02, 2014
This school is a huge disappointment. It's not safe. There is bullying and worse. The Principal is cold and does not care.

Dixie Canyon Community Charter School
4220 Dixie Canyon Avenue, Sherman Oaks, CA  91423
Last modified Dixie Canyon Community Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dixie Canyon Community Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 193 reviews. Top