Robert A. Millikan Middle School

Charter | 6-8

Living in Sherman Oaks

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $561,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,730.

Posted June 23, 2014

I have mixed emotions about this school. I did graduate this year on June 4, though I hadn't had the best time at this school until the eight grade. If you are bringing your child to this school, advise them to choose the right friends. Unfortunately I didn't listen to my mother when she was telling me my friends were bad influences on me, instead I stayed mixed in the crowd that the whole school used to call " the ghetto's" . I was mixed in with all of their drama, and they used to be complete bullies to everyone except the people in their group. The summer before eighth grade I told my mother I was going to choose new friends, ones that would be good influences on me. After that decision, my life at Millikan was the best . The teachers were all amazing, the students were kind, well most of them, and I won my intelligence back. This school isn't perfect, but what school is? This is definitely a better middle school compared to most of the ones in the LAUSD School District.

Posted June 18, 2014

I switched my daughter from this school because she got accepted to a way better school. This school induces bullying, the children receive it from not only their fellow students but their teachers as well! Don't be fooled by how this school seems like it has an amazing performing arts academy but they don't! My child was in the regular schooling because we live in the area but we still receive the same activities, but the classes are in different places.The children here have FILTHY mouths! I'll just leave it at that. Once again though don't be fooled by the hoax this school puts off.

Posted June 1, 2014

For the most part, I think that millikan is the best school I have been too so far. They have many academies, like Math, Science, Performing Arts, Cinematic Arts, And environmental studies. I thought some staff are just rude to the students and staff, but I liked it a lot. It was a lot of fun.

Posted May 23, 2014

We love Millikan Middle School. For the first time, my math/science loving kid also enjoys reading and social studies. Because the school is large, it can have all sorts of specialty programs from visual arts to film to robotics. Large isn't for everyone, but a Millikan, they are making it work. The faculty and staff are wonderful, staying after school to make sure they succeed!

Posted May 23, 2014

Millkan has a lot of hype for Performing Arts and other academies, which are strong but are only electives. The core curriculum here is not enriched, it is more mediocre than small charter middle schools. The English department is weak, there is little/no essay writing or book reports, nor critical thinking encouraged, no wonder kids can't write!! Teachers here eschew communication with parents unless practically stalked. Some fail to grade tests/HW for several weeks, are are not held accountable. Administration gets a "B" but hard to be effective with 2,200 students. The school is dirty, kids are foul-mouthed and inappropriate clothing/behavior tolerated. Millikan needs a serious overhaul. Who can teach or learn in a class of 40+ kids? Your neighborhood parochial school or LAUSD charter is worth investigating. Don't buy into the marketing hype of Millikan. My child, btw, is an "A" honor student, I worry about being prepared for college with the education she is getting here.

Posted May 22, 2014

Be very cautious. My experience at this school showed me that most of the teachers are only interested in taking trips that are paid for by the parents of students (FYI they don't pay for their trips, you do) and their pensions. My child learned next to nothing here and I am thrilled to be moving him to another school. There is a lot of bullying (students and teachers), drugs, and other inappropriate behavior going on. Nothing will happen if you complain. I don't know how this school is rated at an 8 because it's not worth a 2. I could not, in good faith, recommend this school to anybody.

Posted April 17, 2014

Millikan is one of the best school experiences of my life. It definitely molded me to become the person I am today, and I am so thankful for that

Posted February 10, 2014

We are very happy with this school. We have found the perfect school for our daughter and we couldn;t be happier. My daughter finds the teachers to be very helpful and willing to assist with projects etc. Keep in mind that this is middle school, not elementary school so the kids are expected to be more independent and focused. All around-a great school!

Posted December 22, 2013

I think this school is overcrowded with students, it allows bullying, the teachers never call you back, teachers use old school tactics and make the whole class write over and over how bad they are, some teachers go the extra mile to get to know your child if the are extra lucky! Too many kids, too large of classes it is sad to walk down a hall where no one smiles, acknowledges each other, this is not the kind of world I want my child to think is how the world works. I think, if we are on camera in every part of our daily lives, so should this school be, to show what is happening! Not any accountability....some good programs if you have the money to add to those programs. If not your child will feel left out.

Posted December 3, 2013

THIS IS THE BEST SCHOOL EVER! Everyone is so nice! It's bright, colorful, creative, and it has an AMAZING performing arts magnet.

Posted November 18, 2013

The worst...Students bully each other any given day in front of the STAFF and they don't care...Teachers only care bout CST results not students...and finally staff at the main office take forever to answer a phone call and when they do, just don't leave a message...it will never be delivered.

Posted October 19, 2013

The school is relatively safe, it doesn't have the bullying issues many nearby middle schools deal with. However, my child has told me that there is quite a bit of drug use in the school among the general population. My child is in one of the small academies and has all honors level courses where there is apparently little or no drug use. Some of the teachers such as math teacher Mr. Rosenthal have been amazing! Other teachers especially in English and History have been quite disappointing. I feel that honors level students should be able to write a straight forward book report or essay. Instead, they ask them to do silly childish reports that look like a newspaper or Facebook page. They skip chapters in history and science textbooks and do not come close to completing the entire text book. The classes are quite large with over 40 students. My child is happy and has many friends.

Posted October 18, 2013

My son is in the Cinematic Academy. He wasn't happy at first to go to a new school, leaving his friend behind. Every day I would ask how his day went and it was OK. Now he is in love with his new school. He has made a lot of new friends and even a old friend from his elementary school. All his teachers are awesome especially his film teacher. My third grader can not wait to attend Millikan.

Posted October 14, 2013

We have a daughter in the 6th grade, and she just loves this school! She was selected for the performing arts academy and we (and her) could not be happier! Her teachers are caring and the academics are challenging. We could not have selected a better school for our daughter!

Posted September 15, 2013

3 words. worst school ever. there are so many students and yet its such a small school. the teachers do not care. at all. maybe a few. and the staff are rude. i just want to take my son out of this school. its terrible. i dont recommend it. just go anywhere else but here.

Posted August 25, 2013

This is my last year at Millikan Performing Arts Middle School and I could not give up the opportunity to say how much I have enjoyed and appreciate all the teachers, staff, fellow students and parents who have made my years a memorable one. As a performing arts student, this school has definitely helped me get closer to achieving my dreams of becoming a dancer. We have one of the best science, math & civics academies as well. A couple of things that I would change about my school are the lunches and the janitorial services. I would like our school to follow the LAUSD school lunch & breakfast programs as they are healthy rather then having bean burrito almost every morning. I would also like to see the grounds and especially the bathrooms cleaner. I hope I win the $5,000.00 prize for my school. It would be a nice way to give back to my school and to say, thank you for all they have given me over the years like knowledge, confidence & friendships which are priceless.

Posted August 11, 2013

I love this school it is awesome. There is everything.all of the teacher are very sweet and they just have exciting new lessons to share to the student. I think everyone should go here.

Posted August 8, 2013

Let me share with you my son's CST scores in Math starting from 2nd-6th grade: 2nd Grade: 334 (Basic) 3rd Grade: 430 (Advanced) 4th Grade: 421 (Advanced) 5th Grade: 445 (Advanced) 6th Grade at Millikan: 347 (Basic). You do the math. Notice the HUGE DROP of 98 points from 5th to 6th grade. I might add, in 2nd grade my son was stuck with a subpar long-term substitute teacher. My son had a good math teacher at Millikan but he was grouped with a low performing group but the counselor did nothing about it. The pace was slow and my son suffered and did not learn as much as he was capable of. Shame on you Millikan. He's since left this school - and for good reason. And if anyone tries to say it's because middle school math is that much harder - they are wrong. That sort of change is a concern. It's not normal.

Posted August 5, 2013

The TEACHERS at this school were allowed to bully my child. If this is what you are looking for then you have found the right place. It doesn't help to complain because the district won't do anything about it.

Posted July 28, 2013

I love Millikan! And can't wait to be back for seventh grade! Though the food does suck sometimes so I would recommend bringing your own lunch. It's really cool and all these people don't know what they're talking about! The teachers here are amazing a encourage you to do your best! I love it here and I deffinately recommend coming to this school! I learned so much!

This school's

-18

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

711 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

713 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

710 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

554 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

232 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

671 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

383 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

692 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

670 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students72%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)74%
Parent education - college graduate79%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate88%
Parent education - declined to state57%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students61%

Students with no reported disability87%
Fluent-English proficient and English only87%
Gifted and talented89%
Parent education - not a high school graduaten/a
Parent education - high school graduaten/a
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)n/a

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Video / Film production

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
School leaders, update and verify information here.
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 2584 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

This school

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

This school

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

This school

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

This school

Teacher support and opportunities for collaborationWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of employees that agree to strongly agree that this school ensures that teachers work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Evaluation (Employees), Opportunities for Involvement (Employees), Professional Development (Employees), Resource Allocation (Employees), Teacher Collaboration and Data Use (Employees).

Based on surveys from:

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Cafeteria
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room