Public charter
Sherman Oaks, CA
Students enrolled: 2,180

Posted December 10, 2014
Millikan is touted as one of the best public middle schools in the Valley, but this is true only for accelerated math (Math Academy), the Science Academy and Performing Arts. In all other areas this school over promises and under delivers. Extremely weak English department with little to no writing required, and no analytical skills developed. History is not much better. The class sizes are shameful-- 40 and more--- with teachers who rarely or NEVER return parents' calls, and do not seem to care about their students, particularly if they are having struggles. The administration does not hold its teachers accountable for failure to communicate with parents, nor insist that teachers have transparency in grades and expectationsIt's 2014, and there is no excuse for teachers not to have ALL their assignments, and grades, online. Most other school districts in Orange and San Diego counties, do. If you must deal with Special Ed --- you have been forewarned. The head of this department is unknowledgeable about the rules of IDEA and FAPE, and you will have a tough time having your child's needs met in a professional manner.

Robert A. Millikan Middle School 3

Posted June 23, 2014
I have mixed emotions about this school. I did graduate this year on June 4, though I hadn't had the best time at this school until the eight grade. If you are bringing your child to this school, advise them to choose the right friends. Unfortunately I didn't listen to my mother when she was telling me my friends were bad influences on me, instead I stayed mixed in the crowd that the whole school used to call " the ghetto's" . I was mixed in with all of their drama, and they used to be complete bullies to everyone except the people in their group. The summer before eighth grade I told my mother I was going to choose new friends, ones that would be good influences on me. After that decision, my life at Millikan was the best . The teachers were all amazing, the students were kind, well most of them, and I won my intelligence back. This school isn't perfect, but what school is? This is definitely a better middle school compared to most of the ones in the LAUSD School District.

Robert A. Millikan Middle School 2

Posted June 18, 2014
I switched my daughter from this school because she got accepted to a way better school. This school induces bullying, the children receive it from not only their fellow students but their teachers as well! Don't be fooled by how this school seems like it has an amazing performing arts academy but they don't! My child was in the regular schooling because we live in the area but we still receive the same activities, but the classes are in different places.The children here have FILTHY mouths! I'll just leave it at that. Once again though don't be fooled by the hoax this school puts off.

Robert A. Millikan Middle School 4

Posted June 01, 2014
For the most part, I think that millikan is the best school I have been too so far. They have many academies, like Math, Science, Performing Arts, Cinematic Arts, And environmental studies. I thought some staff are just rude to the students and staff, but I liked it a lot. It was a lot of fun.

Posted May 23, 2014
We love Millikan Middle School. For the first time, my math/science loving kid also enjoys reading and social studies. Because the school is large, it can have all sorts of specialty programs from visual arts to film to robotics. Large isn't for everyone, but a Millikan, they are making it work. The faculty and staff are wonderful, staying after school to make sure they succeed!

Robert A. Millikan Middle School 2

Posted May 23, 2014
Millkan has a lot of hype for Performing Arts and other academies, which are strong but are only electives. The core curriculum here is not enriched, it is more mediocre than small charter middle schools. The English department is weak, there is little/no essay writing or book reports, nor critical thinking encouraged, no wonder kids can't write!! Teachers here eschew communication with parents unless practically stalked. Some fail to grade tests/HW for several weeks, are are not held accountable. Administration gets a "B" but hard to be effective with 2,200 students. The school is dirty, kids are foul-mouthed and inappropriate clothing/behavior tolerated. Millikan needs a serious overhaul. Who can teach or learn in a class of 40+ kids? Your neighborhood parochial school or LAUSD charter is worth investigating. Don't buy into the marketing hype of Millikan. My child, btw, is an "A" honor student, I worry about being prepared for college with the education she is getting here.

Posted May 22, 2014
Be very cautious. My experience at this school showed me that most of the teachers are only interested in taking trips that are paid for by the parents of students (FYI they don't pay for their trips, you do) and their pensions. My child learned next to nothing here and I am thrilled to be moving him to another school. There is a lot of bullying (students and teachers), drugs, and other inappropriate behavior going on. Nothing will happen if you complain. I don't know how this school is rated at an 8 because it's not worth a 2. I could not, in good faith, recommend this school to anybody.

Posted April 17, 2014
Millikan is one of the best school experiences of my life. It definitely molded me to become the person I am today, and I am so thankful for that

Posted February 10, 2014
We are very happy with this school. We have found the perfect school for our daughter and we couldn;t be happier. My daughter finds the teachers to be very helpful and willing to assist with projects etc. Keep in mind that this is middle school, not elementary school so the kids are expected to be more independent and focused. All around-a great school!

Posted December 22, 2013
I think this school is overcrowded with students, it allows bullying, the teachers never call you back, teachers use old school tactics and make the whole class write over and over how bad they are, some teachers go the extra mile to get to know your child if the are extra lucky! Too many kids, too large of classes it is sad to walk down a hall where no one smiles, acknowledges each other, this is not the kind of world I want my child to think is how the world works. I think, if we are on camera in every part of our daily lives, so should this school be, to show what is happening! Not any accountability....some good programs if you have the money to add to those programs. If not your child will feel left out.

Robert A. Millikan Middle School
5041 Sunnyslope Avenue, Sherman Oaks, CA  91423
Last modified Robert A. Millikan Middle School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Robert A. Millikan Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 188 reviews. Top