Public charter
Sherman Oaks, CA
Students enrolled: 2,180

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted June 28, 2015
Admin and teacher show student respect as students are lauded for acts of character and for grades through Turtle of the Month and honor roll assemblies. Student work includes group projects that allow students to build respect among peers.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 28, 2015
Character is emphasized through the use of the Medal of Honor school program during history classes and classes emphasize honesty and integrity with the use of an honor code requiring all work be attributed. Students can report bullying anonymously through boxes posted throughout the school encouraging students to do the right thing without fear of being considered tattletales.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted May 20, 2015
Teachers find ways to make assignments meaningful. Now that testing is over, we're even seeing poetry & novel reading in English, science homework often allows for options to choose assignments that resonate with students. Math students are taking high school level courses eagerly. This is the toughest age to teach, and many teachers find a way to connect with students making learning deeper.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted May 20, 2015
It is a lot, I will say that. But these are college bound academic kids. Many teachers offer homework by the week or only due every other day. This allows students to balance their schedules and be mature enough to handle their extra curriculars. Occasionally there are several projects, and that's just how it goes, but most of the time it can be balanced.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted May 20, 2015
It's a large school--as large as many high schools, or even larger than some high schools. There are plenty of programs available, and students have to find balance. Yet students do find a way to participate in dance, or choir, and still maintain their academic curriculum. The school is one of the very few to continue to offer middle schoolers the opportunity to take Geometry. It's tough. And kids support each other to do it.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted May 20, 2015
Student-run charities range from Cancer Awareness Week, to donating "Jeans for Teens," "One Warm Coat" and other programs throughout the year.

Robert A. Millikan Middle School 1

Posted December 10, 2014
Millikan is touted as one of the best public middle schools in the Valley, but this is true only for accelerated math (Math Academy), the Science Academy and Performing Arts. In all other areas this school over promises and under delivers. Extremely weak English department with little to no writing required, and no analytical skills developed. History is not much better. The class sizes are shameful-- 40 and more--- with teachers who rarely or NEVER return parents' calls, and do not seem to care about their students, particularly if they are having struggles. The administration does not hold its teachers accountable for failure to communicate with parents, nor insist that teachers have transparency in grades and expectationsIt's 2014, and there is no excuse for teachers not to have ALL their assignments, and grades, online. Most other school districts in Orange and San Diego counties, do. If you must deal with Special Ed --- you have been forewarned. The head of this department is unknowledgeable about the rules of IDEA and FAPE, and you will have a tough time having your child's needs met in a professional manner.
7 people found this helpful

Robert A. Millikan Middle School 3

Posted June 23, 2014
I have mixed emotions about this school. I did graduate this year on June 4, though I hadn't had the best time at this school until the eight grade. If you are bringing your child to this school, advise them to choose the right friends. Unfortunately I didn't listen to my mother when she was telling me my friends were bad influences on me, instead I stayed mixed in the crowd that the whole school used to call " the ghetto's" . I was mixed in with all of their drama, and they used to be complete bullies to everyone except the people in their group. The summer before eighth grade I told my mother I was going to choose new friends, ones that would be good influences on me. After that decision, my life at Millikan was the best . The teachers were all amazing, the students were kind, well most of them, and I won my intelligence back. This school isn't perfect, but what school is? This is definitely a better middle school compared to most of the ones in the LAUSD School District.

Robert A. Millikan Middle School 2

Posted June 18, 2014
I switched my daughter from this school because she got accepted to a way better school. This school induces bullying, the children receive it from not only their fellow students but their teachers as well! Don't be fooled by how this school seems like it has an amazing performing arts academy but they don't! My child was in the regular schooling because we live in the area but we still receive the same activities, but the classes are in different places.The children here have FILTHY mouths! I'll just leave it at that. Once again though don't be fooled by the hoax this school puts off.
3 people found this helpful

Robert A. Millikan Middle School 4

Posted June 01, 2014
For the most part, I think that millikan is the best school I have been too so far. They have many academies, like Math, Science, Performing Arts, Cinematic Arts, And environmental studies. I thought some staff are just rude to the students and staff, but I liked it a lot. It was a lot of fun.

5041 Sunnyslope Avenue, Sherman Oaks, CA  91423
Last modified Robert A. Millikan Middle School is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Robert A. Millikan Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 197 reviews. Top