Public charter
Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted June 05, 2015
We have had a great experience at Riverside. Our son loved his Kindergarten experience and here's why: 1) Ms. Doucette is a very engaged, approachable, friendly, fun, creative and vivacious principal who sets the tone along with the staff. 2) The after school programs--Homework Club and Super School--are just as important for our son as the class time. Lots of time for free play and learning new sports/skills led or supervised by engaged staff. 3) His teacher was accessible, encouraging and allowed him freedom to be himself and challenged the students without it being overly stress-inducing. 4) An amazing garden that is getting expanded upon and a persistence to improve the school grounds appearance by parents donating their time and expertise. 5) Tons of diversity. Riverside is a true melting pot. (How many schools can truly claim that?!) 6) Arts education (violin too!) is an important part of Kindergarten. 7) A library! Riverside has been way more than the test score listed on here and the 7 rating. I'm so happy we found such an enriching, supportive and inspiring school and I look forward to future years there! It's now the reason we continue to live in that area.

Riverside Drive Charter Elementary School
Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted June 05, 2015
I'm not a huge fan of homework in general, however, it never bothered my child. Luckily that was not an issue we had to address.

Posted March 02, 2015
We have a kindergartner at Riverside and the experience has been excellent. Our son loves the school and we have met some wonderful families. I am told the school enrollment has shot up unexpectedly which caused some difficulties, hopefully, things will settle down soon. That said, with the computer lab, science lab, garden club, engaging after school programs, this is a wonderful school and environment.
2 people found this helpful

Riverside Drive Charter Elementary School 1

Posted February 22, 2015
The student teacher ratio is 43:1 for grade 5. But was "improved" to a still unacceptable 37:1 because to 4th grade teacher is teaching a 4th/ 5th grade split. Do not complain though. The principal does not want to hear from you.

Posted February 18, 2015
My kids go to Riverside, and it has been an exceptional experience for them! I don't understand the "7" rating by greatschools, because for the effort of the teaching staff and dedicated parent volunteers, this school deserves a '10!!' Of course, a school is only as good as the adults who supervise it, and I can tell you for a fact that those parents who give their time to ensure the children have quality extracurricular activities, and an inviting school environment are what make this a truly quality school! If you send your kids here, get involved! Don't just look at it as a full-day daycare. YOU can and will make a difference by putting some effort into everything this school can be! That's what makes a charter special. And Riverside is heading for an elite level the more the parents have been getting involved! It's pretty impressive!
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 28, 2014
I have been a parent at this school for nine years. I love it! Excellent after school programs, curriculum, arts, sciences and PTA. Very welcoming environment.
3 people found this helpful

Posted April 25, 2014
I have a fifth grader and a Kindergartner at the school. Both of them in classes with dedicated teachers who perform amazingly within the cash strapped LAUSD. The Principle Ms Doucette is very hands on with the kids. She knows them well and in my experience has been fantastic with maneuvering through what is best for each of them individually. The community in this school is growing year by year and in my opinion under its present leadership will only continue to flourish.

Posted February 19, 2014
My daughter loves this school. Very happy with teachers, administration, and especially the parent group. Keep up the great work!

Posted January 26, 2014
My daughter comes to this school and loves it! The school is very clean inside and out, we have a new person that has done a lot of work with getting the school painted and clearing a lot of debris. Parent involvement is awesome! thank you for caring about our kids!

Riverside Drive Charter Elementary School 4

Posted November 04, 2013
We love the after school activities. I think the parent evolvement is fantastic too. My daughters loves it.

Riverside Drive Charter Elementary School
13061 Riverside Drive, Sherman Oaks, CA  91423
Last modified Riverside Drive Charter Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Riverside Drive Charter Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 127 reviews. Top