Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter School
Grateful to: Staff member

Posted December 08, 2015
The principal is very understanding and very quick to respond and do whatever she can to help.

Posted October 28, 2014
This school is amazing! Great teachers who care passionately about their students have made a beautiful impact in my children's educational experience here.

Posted July 02, 2014
As a parent, i fully agree with the PE program at SOECS! Is it tough? yes! Do the kids moan and groan about it sometimes? Yes but these devoted teachers, especially Mr. Cook, are getting them ready for middle school PE which is not very easy and requires even more. How can we honestly sit and complain that our children are being worked? Do you complain that your children are learning too much as well???

Posted June 30, 2014
The person speaking about the "P.E. Boot Camp" was commenting on a program I began, with the support of all the upper grade staff, at the school 3 years ago. My name is David Cook and I am a teacher at this school. As the anonymous person suggests, I too encourage you to come out and watch the students and our upper grade program. It is amazing to see their growth and development over the course of the year. I believe this person is mistaken in their assessment of the motivations, teaching methodology or value of our program. Yes, there was originally an exercise called the "Circle of Pain." That's what it was called when I learned it. I was told 1 parent came and complained about the name and could it be changed? I changed it officially to "The circle of happy, happy, joy, joy, we all love each other." This one exercise routine is very popular and frequently requested by the students. Regardless of the name, the concept remains the same. Through a shared experience requiring individual effort toward a common goal, a group comes together and feels good about themselves both as individuals and as part of something bigger. I am always willing to address any concerns.

Posted May 21, 2014
There seems to be a lot of turmoil going on at the school involving the principal and her leadership. Let's hope some changes are made for the better of the school.

Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter School 2

Posted May 12, 2014
My child has been coming here since kinder. As far as education I would of gave this school 5 stars however the overall experience here does not equal that. First of all if you want to send your 5th grader to a P.E. boot camp you found the right place. I'm surprised no one has commented on this so far. I guess its because they are not aware. Hang out for a few extra min after you drop your child off in the morning. You would of had quite a show today. The kids are being yelled at like in boot camp. Can you believe this instruction was actually called "circle of pain" last year? So many parents complained they had to change the name to "happy happy joy joy" but the kids still remember it as circle of pain. I know a few families that pulled their kids out because of this. As far as favoritism I would have to agree with the past comments. I have felt like this for years. Sopa board definitely gets priority with what teachers they want. I do think that is changing with the new Principal now. As far as the complaints about the principal I personally haven't had any issues but I don't know about everyone else. I did leave her a concern once and never received a return phone call.

Posted April 29, 2014
This school is good over all. Quite a lot of parent involvement and the teachers are great, and really seem to care. They offer music and other programs that have been cut in other schools. They also offer after school classes like guitar, drums, karate, cooking, and other subjects.

Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter School 1

Posted March 24, 2014
Unfortunately we had to pull our boys out due to unorganized teachers and lack of leadership.

Posted February 18, 2014
Principal.......As the leader of this school, it is your job to uphold the law, set an example for your students and provide the quality of care you would DEMAND for your own children. This morning, as I was in the MIDDLE of the crosswalk, with my child, on Ventura Blvd and Willis Ave, you SO RUDLY AND UNSAFELY SPED UP YOUR SILVER HONDA CRV to CUT MY SON AND HIS FRIEND OFF IN THE CORSSWALK...the red hand WAS NOT FLASHING! YOUR STUDENTS HAD THE RIGHT OF WAY. What kind of monster are you that you would speed up to cut off children, just to save an extra 5 seconds! YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO THE PRINCIPAL OF ANY SCHOOL.

Posted August 20, 2013
We are very happy with this school. The teachers are great and the parent involvement is terrific. Both of our children (K and 2nd grades) are very happy here.

Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter School
14755 Greenleaf Street, Sherman Oaks, CA  91403-4127
Last modified Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 163 reviews. Top