No rating

Alverno High School

Private | 9-12 | 166 students

Living in Sierra Madre

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $615,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Posted March 20, 2014

There is a lot of concern for every student at Alverno! My daughter and my niece both attended and they were given opportunities I fear they would not have had in a different environment. I am confused as to the negative comments because our experience with this school has been truly amazing and a blessing.

Posted February 1, 2014

Alverno is an excellent school. My daughter is a sophomore and she chose Alverno two years ago because the students were so welcoming to her. Now that she is an Alverno student herself, she considers campus is her second home. Academically she is excelling and socially she is thriving. She loves her teachers and has made good friends. I recommend Alverno to all of our friends with daughters!

Posted January 6, 2014

Please do not waste your money. If you live in a good public school district, research the possibility of sending your child there. My daughter needed help with math and her math teacher was not available after school because she had children of her own and needed to get home right away. I do understand this and did not expect her to be there five days a week. However, two times a week would have been very helpful. If your child is a good student, she will do well anywhere. Alverno is so lacking. The principal is rude and shows no compassion for families that do not have money. The administration needs to be replaced with people that care. My sister went there for only a year and when it was time for my daughter to pick a school, my sister was so very disappointed we picked Alverno for our daughter. Save this money for college or invest it in an account for your child. You will be glad you did. Enrollment here is so low. Numbers don't lie.

Posted November 14, 2013

I attended Alverno in the 90s and I found myself prepared for college and I had the ability to stand up for myself and work hard for what I wanted. I feel like my high school experience gave me the courage to do that. The teachers and administration were supportive of me as a student and I feel that I received a top-notch education. I was fully prepared for college and made the Dean's list all through my four years. I went on to graduate school where I graduated with highest honors - 4.0 grade point average. Thank you Alverno... and mom and dad!

Posted August 13, 2013

Alverno High School has been a homecoming for our family. Our daughter will graduate in 2016, 30 years after her mother and twenty years after her aunt. Alverno embraces, envelops, and encourages the girl who marches to the beat of her own drum. The education our daughter is earning is exemplary, but equally as important is the development of her own self. We knew that sending our daughter to Alverno would enhance the gifts she already has, but this was never truer than when we heard her sing a solo at the Harvest Concert during her Freshman year. Our seemingly shy, reserved girl stepped forward, held that microphone, and came alive. It was a beautiful moment as parents to witness. We will treasure it always because we knew she was home.

Posted April 8, 2013

I attended Alverno and find that the reviews speak to the uneven nature of the academics. Some teachers are remarkable and truly inspiring. Some are miserable and destructive. One in particular (who is still on staff and for some unimaginable reason has some kind of academic leadership position) failed to understand the subject she taught and would rather berate her students than read the text which she was meant to elucidate. Also, the college counseling was a contradiction in terms. I had to research for myself all of the universities I was interested in and discover all of the potential scholarships on my own. Luckily, I was motivated and succeeded, but it was in spite of Alverno's help in this regard, not because of it. In the end, though, quite a few of the AP classes were good (not biology or calc, sadly), and the relationship with the other girls was probably the best part (mutual suffering can build strong bods!). If Alverno wants to truly empower women, it might strive to provide them with the intellectual foundation they need to excel.

Posted November 20, 2012

Alverno is an amazing school that provides its students with opportunities that they otherwise would not have at another school. It encourages its students to speak up and ask questions. Teachers are always available for tutoring and to help their students succeed. Learning at Alverno is very interactive and students learn not only in the classroom but also outside of the classroom so that they get hands on experiences that they will remember for the rest of their lives. The young women that graduate from Alverno are fully prepared for college and the lives ahead of them with the life experiences and knowledge to take them to great places.

Posted November 20, 2012

I love Alverno because I feel like this isn't just a school but really is a community. The teachers are really great and are very interested in what they teach and are very inspiring. I really enjoy being in Book Club and that there is a club for everyone at Alverno!

Posted November 20, 2012

Alverno was probably the most important part of my journey to find who I am. I was able to grow and develop as a person and in my academics. I love all of the faculty and staff. They personally invested in my growth and I would not be as confident or as prepared for college if I did not go to Alverno.

Posted November 20, 2012

Alverno High school was a good school when I attended in the 80's. Now it is a Fantastic school in 2012 and that is why my daughter attends currently!~

Posted November 19, 2012

I attended Alverno and would send or refer in a heartbeat. The education I received and the lasting friendships that I developed are irreplaceable.

Posted November 19, 2012

I am a past parent whose daughter graduated from Alverno a few years ago. When my daughter was in 8th grade, she was horribly bullied and really struggled academically. Within a few weeks of her being at Alverno, I noticed a complete change in her. When her first quarter report card came out, I was floored by her grades-- all A's and one B. It was amazing to me how much a difference the school could make in 3 weeks! In 3 weeks, she was happy and confident and completely different. I will be forever grateful to Alverno for providing my daughter with that amazing life changing experience. Today, she has graduated from college and graduate school and has an amazing job. I know that none of this would be possible without Alverno. I cannot say enough how much this school means to my family and I implore you to look at Alverno for your daughters.

Posted November 19, 2012

I have two daughters that attended Alverno. They were two completely different types of students, yet, they both graduated being the best women they could be and have both excelled in their fields. The emphasis on leadership, community service and total inclusion is something I have not seen at any other local high school - and I have seen them all! The faculty and staff are completely committed to their students and it is evident in the number of women that constantly go back to visit their alma mater.

Posted November 13, 2012

My daughter and a majority of other girls that attended this high school has been bullied. The administration decided to ignore the problem and kick out the victims instead of helping the issue. This school is hell and many girls are leaving because of the lack of education and respect. The principle and vice principle needs to be replaced ASAP.

Posted November 11, 2012

My daughter attended Alverno and graduated in 2012. She came into Alverno as a shy, nominal student and left a leader with a strong GPA who was rewarded with acceptance into seven out of eight universities she applied to. Like any other school, Alverno has great teachers, and average teachers. The strength of Alverno lies in its numerous opportunities in activities, volunteer service, arts and sports. Due to the small size there is a strong sense of community among the students and faculty. We are happy with our choice.

Posted September 5, 2012

Alverno is the best thing that ever happened to me, it has been my second home and I would not change my experience there for the world. Everyone on campus is friendly, helpful and dedicated to making students succeed. The teachers are remarkable and so are the academics. The sense of unity is strong within the Alverno community and I enjoyed ever minute of my time there. Their philosophy is to empower every young woman to be exactly the person she wants to be and that s exactly what it does over a period of four years. The whole Alverno experience that is obtained over each year is well worth $13,000. Alverno is very generous with giving girls scholarships who earn them and are overall very flexible. Throughout my four years at Alverno I have seen my fellow classmates become strong and independent leaders of the future. My classmate s acceptances were also very vast. In my opinion Alverno is just as good as any other private school in the Pasadena area maybe even better, just look at the colleges we get into.

Posted June 29, 2012

It is a mistake to send your child to Alverno High School. The school is losing more students that it has coming in. Over 100 girls have left the school. They try to keep it a secret. You have to ask yourself why so many girls leave. Many of the teachers are not worthy of their titles. You better not owe a dime or your child will be humiliated by being pulled out of class and not allowed to take mid terms and finals. They are not allowed to participate in any activity. This school does not live up to their mission statement. They are so welcoming when your daughter is accepted and after that the school is a complete nightmare. Talk to parents who have their child at Alverno. You will be surprised at what they have to say.

Posted February 15, 2012

My daughter currently attends Alverno and hates it! She feels that the teachers are not as available to help and instead refer you to the honor students instead. Alverno is not worth $13,000.Yes theyare the lowest priced school in the Pasadena area but their curriculum does'nt even come close to La Salle or FSHA. I also feel that the administration is not sympathetic to families that are middle class and are in need of financial help. If for some reason your are late with a payment or registration fees instead of giving you an extension they tack on a late fee($100). That's not very christian like. My daughter is not an "A" student but she is well disciplined and a hard worker , too bad that this school doesn't help the students that need that extra help.

Posted February 7, 2012

Alverno has been a huge disappointment. The OLD administration really needs to be replaced. There are several very poor teachers (that don't teach), a campus that is in a sad state of disrepair, and an administration that doesn't seem eager to fix any of it. Enrollment is way down, so the school is constantly asking for additional donations to cover their costs. I'd recommend against sending your daughter to this school.

Posted December 4, 2011

We made a big mistake in sending our daughter here. Bad principal and vice principal and teachers are marginal. Our daughter does not want to change schools because she has established friendships, however our younger daughter will most certainly not attend this school. Despite having the girls in private schools their entire academic life, I think a public school would be a better choice compared to Alverno

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• NAIS
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (626) 355-3153

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles